The Post Night Shift Drink

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I know I'm not the only one who does it. Who else occasionally has morning a drink after a night shift when you're already plannig on sleeping the day away. They're especially nice on days like today, when I can enjoy it outside and make all my neighbors worry about that doctor next door.

I guess I've just covered G&E. Now how about C&A?

Members don't see this ad.

Around here, it's called 'Special Breakfast'. One of our faculty has perfected it. He talked one of the Mexican food places nearby into making Margaritas a bit earlier than usual.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Beer and greasy cheesy hash browns usually does the trick quite nicely.

Sometimes there's nothing better than a post-shift ice cold brew.

I don't think that's an eye opener. Now stop asking me questions, I'm starting to get mad.

In residency I would partake in many post night shift drinks iwth the nurses. One of my favorite things to do because usually the nurses ended up getting very dirty, very drunk, and very skimpy. I loved Tampa!

Q

In my old life as a respiratory therapist: Once a month we would get off in the moning and go get hammered with bunch of ICU, ER, and ward nurses and sing karaoke at a daiquri place across the street from Our LAdy of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge, La

memories....good times.....

Reactions: 1 user
I dont usually drink post nights (im in the middle of 5 of em) cause i dont get a decent night of rest. No other reason. I would say that this does not qualify you as a aproblem. Truth is once you come off work it is like happy hour you just do it at a different time of the night than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coincidentally, a guy I worked EMS with (in Buffalo) said that, when they were in paramedic school, they would go out after class and get wasted, and they said that they were "going to church".

Actually, we called it "choir practice" based on the 1975 Joseph Wambaugh novel "The Choirboys".

We did not swim in duck crap, though.

1. you are coming off work, not going in.
2. it is really no different than going out for a drink after finishing a day shift.

It is awesome to have a Cheddar Bo with some Budweiser.
header.gif

Of course, any old place will do.

The CAGE reference was really my just making light of myself. I guess the tone didn't quite come through. Wont someone please create a universally recognized sarcasm font?

The CAGE reference was really my just making light of myself. I guess the tone didn't quite come through. Wont someone please create a universally recognized sarcasm font?

No.
We were just supporting your little habit. I guess you could call it enabling.
Either way, it is really only good if you get a small kiddie pool, a huge cooler full of beer, and sit in pool with a sprinkler going over you intermittently. Preferably in something other than swimming trunks/board shorts. I recommend a speedo.

No.
Either way, it is really only good if you get a small kiddie pool, a huge cooler full of beer, and sit in pool with a sprinkler going over you intermittently. Preferably in something other than swimming trunks/board shorts. I recommend a speedo.

Don't forget the floating koozies...

600025_L.jpg

It would be awesome if hospitals had rooftop jacuzzis...but probably not good for, um, training and public image...:rolleyes:

Wont someone please create a universally recognized sarcasm font?

And here I thought that the mere appearance on the EM forum meant that it was sarcasm.

Everything I say should be assumed to be sarcastic. Every once in a while I'll screw up and say something that may have some value in it but, as a general rule, I try to avoid it as poor form.

Take care,
Jeff

mmmmmm kegs and eggs. the only good thing about working nights ;)

the best ever was after an observational shift in the ED in a hospital in Tokyo i went to the tsukiji fish market at 4am, watched all the crazy antics of the auctions and sales at the market for a bit then had incredibly fresh sushi & a beer and went home to bed.

Coincidentally, a guy I worked EMS with (in Buffalo) said that, when they were in paramedic school, they would go out after class and get wasted, and they said that they were "going to church".

Well, at least now we have an explaination for many a trauma victim.

Maybe the post night shift drink can be called a "Daycap".

I generally wait till I get home around 6 am than pop open a cold one, then sleep until 2-3 pm.

I stopped at a gas station after a string of nights, in my scrubs with my ID on. Walked back to the cooler, pulled on the door...locked. So I had to mosey up to the counter and ask the nice lady to open the beer fridge at 7am so I could get my drink on. (She didn't have a bottle opener though).

One of the local Mexican places here was talked into turning the margarita machines on for us. It got to the point, the AM manager would call and be sure we were coming so "he could hook us up with some stronger drinks since it would surely just be us drinking at 7AM."

We got the best looks when HR took a group down there one morning we were there.

NECROBUMP (why start a new thread when you can resurrect an 8 year old one...)

upload_2016-1-28_7-1-0.jpeg

Someone should open a bar across the street from the hospital... just have it open from 7am-10am.

I'm too lazy to mix a drink when I get home in the morning, and just end up going with beer. Maybe if I was better at mixing drinks it wouldn't be such an undertaking...

Reactions: 1 users

View attachment 199982

Someone should open a bar across the street from the hospital... just have it open from 7am-10am.

I'm too lazy to mix a drink when I get home in the morning, and just end up going with beer. Maybe if I was better at mixing drinks it wouldn't be such an undertaking...
I've had this thought... getting a liquor license for that early in the morning, at least here, is cost prohibitive. Maybe a BYO where I sell mixers & munchies...

We have two right next door... Sadly, no breakfast times. A drink on the deck post shift with the sun coming up... Amazing. No guilt over here haha

In residency I would partake in many post night shift drinks iwth the nurses. One of my favorite things to do because usually the nurses ended up getting very dirty, very drunk, and very skimpy. I loved Tampa!

Q

USF just went up on my ROL.

Open a place that makes good margaritas and breakfast burritos and I'll become a nocturnist.

View attachment 199982

Throw two shots of gin, a shot of vermouth, olive juice and a couple of olives in a glass and you've got a martini. Too easy...

Too much vermouth. Half a shot is more than enough. A quarter shot is better.

I'm in the 2:1 group myself, rare a breed as we are. Less vermouth and I may as well just drink straight gin out of the freezer

Throw two shots of gin, a shot of vermouth, olive juice and a couple of olives in a glass and you've got a martini. Too easy...

That involves too much math for my poor tired end-of shift brain... especially after a 24hr shift (doesn't happen in the ED, but comes up occasionally in the ICU)

Haha...

Is it something you can mix up ahead of time (sans olives) and decant as needed?

DoctorBob, of course you can.
I personally prefer 2 of Vodka, 1 of St Germain, hint of Vermouth and olives. And I have tested the recipe making it in pyrex and storing in a cooler to sip at the beach the next day. Even with the olives, it was excellent.

Now Tanqueray and FeverTree Tonic, while best in summer, will also suffice.

That involves too much math for my poor tired end-of shift brain... especially after a 24hr shift (doesn't happen in the ED, but comes up occasionally in the ICU)

Haha...

Is it something you can mix up ahead of time (sans olives) and decant as needed?

Yeah. Mix the alcohol and throw it in the freezer. It will be nice and cold and won't freeze. I keep my Gin in the freezer as it stands.

Haha...

So just leave out the vermouth totally. Or "swirl it in the glass".
Pour gin/vodka until you think there's enough. Add some olive juice, and a few olives (blue cheese stuffed if you've got em). Stir/shake, strain, serve. Watch the world melt. Easy Peasy.