The quality of research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoezaga21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am thinking about applying to Ph.D., programs this December. I have been researching programs and studying like crazy for the GRE. My interest is in Developmental Psychology. I know this is a clinical board, but there aren't many places that contain the knowledge base this one has...so why not?

My general question is about how much the quality of research weighs into a programs decision. I see a lot of people apply to grad school that have 6 semesters of research in 2-3 labs. A lot of these people have entered data into SPSS, helped prepare sections of manuscripts and done the testing of the subjects for a professors project.

By application time I will be going into my fourth semester of research. All experience I have has pertained to my project, which is being funded through the University. I've been able to see a project to fruition from the very inception of it's idea. I've tested subjects, been the manager of the project, etc. I have also had the great fortune of being advised by a really generous and knowledgeable professor. In late November/December we will be preparing the manuscript for publication.

While I don't have the semesters of others, I have had a deeply enriching intellectual experience. Knowing that programs that are not clinical do not have such rigid requirements for entrance, I'm really in between on if I should apply to Ph.D., programs or not?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Two years should be fine. I was okay with two years for clinical, anyway. As you said, they do want more than just running participants and entering data, though.

Yea I'm a little confused about this same question. I would imagine that quality of your lab experience would matter more then the amount of studies you've had a role in. However I've had difficulty moving up from the data stages to more critical roles in the studies. Everyone seems to say when you first start out in a lab you have to do that kind of work and then as you're there for a long time you get more leadership type roles. However I was kind of doing data stuff as an undergrad for two years in the same lab so not sure how to increase my "position" in a lab? Also i've asked this before but is it okay/ a good idea to volunteer in two different labs at the same school of a Master's program? My last question is it still considered good experience even if the research your doing at an undergraduate or master's level is not of your highest interest or what you might want to pursue at a doctoral level? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason for you not to apply this fall. Your research experience sounds at least average (perhaps slightly better than average) for a senior undergraduate student applying to Ph.D. programs in psychology. If you're really worried about it or if you need another professor who can attest to your research ability in a letter of recommendation, consider getting involved in a second project or starting a thesis in September.

I don't see your concern, really. Your experience sounds *wonderful*, and it'll look really good (and feel really good! :)) to have a project that's gone from conceptualization to completion and a submitted first author publication (tangtially, I'm aiming to submit a first author pub in December/January but that depends largely on the kindness of the "recruitment g-ds" this falll ;)). In fact, you're probably better off than someone (like me) who will have a lot of experience in varied labs (running participants, conceptualizing projects, entering data, analyzing data, and preparing manuscripts) and some non-first authors pubs but comparatively less PI experience--PI/project leadership experience really counts for a lot, especially first author publications.

I think you'll be fine, and that your experience sounds awesome! :)

Good luck! :luck:

I don't see your concern, really. Your experience sounds *wonderful*, and it'll look really good (and feel really good! :)) to have a project that's gone from conceptualization to completion and a submitted first author publication (tangtially, I'm aiming to submit a first author pub in December/January but that depends largely on the kindness of the "recruitment g-ds" this falll ;)). In fact, you're probably better off than someone (like me) who will have a lot of experience in varied labs (running participants, conceptualizing projects, entering data, analyzing data, and preparing manuscripts) and some non-first authors pubs but comparatively less PI experience--PI/project leadership experience really counts for a lot, especially first author publications.

I think you'll be fine, and that your experience sounds awesome! :)

Good luck! :luck:

I totally agree! I wouldn't underestimate the value of having an enriching advising relationship and the varied experiences of seeing a project from beginning to end. The mentoring will shine through in your LoR, and you will have no problem tying the actual research experience to your ability to perform will as a doctoral student as you apply. I would say absolutely go for it! You sound like you are excited about graduate school and you've been spending a lot of time, energy, and forethought preparing for this! :luck: