The Queen needs your guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up my loves.

So USMLE pretty much ripped me a new one. Ended up with a 210 on the dot and trust me... Even I was pleased with anything above 200 after walking out. So all of the praying and "God.. Please give me a 200+ and I promise I'll be forever grateful and thank you for everything and if I ever complain.. I apologize.." Every day and night worked out I guess lol

But... I should have asked for more lmao

In all seriousness, so what specialities are open to me and what do I do now? I was thinking of combing through freida tomorrow for all of the programs that have a minimum USMLE score for primary care fields like IM, FM, Peds, Psych, etc. and plan out my future. I looked through the NRMP and saw there were still people that matched within the same score range... But are those genuinely helpful? Meaning.. Are those good benchmarks to go by when choosing what specialty to go into now?

I kept mostly an open mind but knew that I did NOT want anything surgery related or OB... So I gues that worked out lol any advice?

I'm kinda relieved but still disappointed for dropping > 15 points from my practice exams (my UWSAs were >225).
I really really REALLY feel I was unlucky and got ****ed over with one of the hardest forms of the exam or an insane pool of questions. I marked more than 15 per section so I guess I made some alright guesses but oh well.

I'm proud that I had the cajones to still take both step 1 and COMLEX unlike many of my classmates that bailed at the last minute and only sat for COMLEX.

COMLEX was MUCH easier so I'm hoping for a 550+ on that. But we shall see.

Maybe it's rationalization but it is what it is.

What's done is done.

Any advice or questions or comments from y'all?

Anybody that was in the same position get any gems or experience they wanna share that can help me out?

Taaaankkssss

tl:hungover:r

- step 1 210 and Comlex 1 was 535.

What can I enter and what did those of y'all with the same scores end up in?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I already responded to you in that other thread but anesthesia, EM, and neurology were rather uncompetitive this year. You have options. Don't feel pidgeonholed into FM just because you didn't kill Step.

Reactions: 2 users
I already responded to you in that other thread but anesthesia, EM, and neurology were rather uncompetitive this year. You have options. Don't feel pidgeonholed into FM just because you didn't kill Step.

Appreciate the reply Grey.

At this point, prison medicine actually seems pretty damn legit lolol

but I will keep my head up and hopefully do better on step 2 and rotations.

Thanks for ur time broski/sisski

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up my loves.

So USMLE pretty much ripped me a new one. Ended up with a 210 on the dot and trust me... Even I was pleased with anything above 200 after walking out. So all of the praying and "God.. Please give me a 200+ and I promise I'll be forever grateful and thank you for everything and if I ever complain.. I apologize.." Every day and night worked out I guess lol

In all seriousness, so what specialities are open to me and what do I do now? I was thinking of combing through freida tomorrow for all of the programs that have a minimum USMLE score for primary care fields like IM, FM, Peds, Psych, etc. and plan out my future. I looked through the NRMP and saw there were still people that matched within the same score range... But are those genuinely helpful? Meaning.. Are those good benchmarks to go by when choosing what specialty to go into now?

I kept mostly an open mind but knew that I did NOT want anything surgery related or OB... So I gues that worked out lol any advice?

I'm kinda relieved but still disappointed for dropping > 15 points from my practice exams (my UWSAs were >225).
I really really REALLY feel I was unlucky and got ****ed over with one of the hardest forms of the exam or an insane pool of questions. I marked more than 15 per section so I guess I made some alright guesses but oh well.

I'm proud that I had the cajones to still take both step 1 and COMLEX unlike many of my classmates that bailed at the last minute and only sat for COMLEX.

What's done is done.

Anybody that was in the same position get any gems or experience they wanna share that can help me out?

Taaaankkssss

First off congrats on getting through that beast of an exam, and secondly to echo what AnatomyGrey said--- you got a lot of options(IM, Gas, EM etc.) I think the key thing here is that if you're flexible regarding location this will help tremendously in securing your specialty of choice. Make the charting outcomes your friend and lock that Step 2 score. You got this man!!

Reactions: 1 users
Appreciate the reply Grey.

At this point, prison medicine actually seems pretty damn legit lolol

but I will keep my head up and hopefully do better on step 2 and rotations.

Thanks for ur time broski/sisski

Hey, I like prison Medicine! I have no idea what the compensation is like though. But I’ve worked as a prison RN for 3 years and counting... still work very PRN. And before that I was a correctional officer and sergeant for 7 years. Honestly I love it and find it very fulfilling. ... BUT, I am on 100% loans so I have to have a reasonable salary at the end of this all. However, no matter what specialty or practice setting I end up with, it’s my goal to stay in touch with correctional medicine somehow.

Like here in Florida they have specialty clinic days at the reception centers that all the referred inmates from the region are transported to. So even if it’s not my full time gig if I end up in neuro for instance, I could see the neuro consults once a month. Or if I end up in psych but don’t want to do full time prison, I could still do a PRN side gig.

Hey, I like prison Medicine! I have no idea what the compensation is like though. But I’ve worked as a prison RN for 3 years and counting... still work very PRN. And before that I was a correctional officer and sergeant for 7 years. Honestly I love it and find it very fulfilling. ... BUT, I am on 100% loans so I have to have a reasonable salary at the end of this all. However, no matter what specialty or practice setting I end up with, it’s my goal to stay in touch with correctional medicine somehow.

Like here in Florida they have specialty clinic days at the reception centers that all the referred inmates from the region are transported to. So even if it’s not my full time gig if I end up in neuro for instance, I could see the neuro consults once a month. Or if I end up in psych but don’t want to do full time prison, I could still do a PRN side gig.

SO DOPE!

But congrats on following through on taking Step 1, and for hitting the mark that was said to be “worth it” for DOs in the charting outcome threads!

Good job man, that exam was hard as hell but having a score period opens lots of doors that would otherwise have been shut. I know 210 is below where you wanted but that's plenty good enough for tons of programs in the relatively non-competitive fields. Get some solid LORs and step 2 and you can match very well. We are done with the beast, so congrats on passing that motha F***r

Reactions: 1 user
What's up my loves.

What's done is done.

Taaaankkssss
Based on my own students histories, the DO-friendly specialties.

Good job man, that exam was hard as hell but having a score period opens lots of doors that would otherwise have been shut. I know 210 is below where you wanted but that's plenty good enough for tons of programs in the relatively non-competitive fields. Get some solid LORs and step 2 and you can match very well. We are done with the beast, so congrats on passing that motha F***r

Appreciate it man.

The kind words mean a lot.

If you haven't taken it yet, good luck!

Based on my own students histories, the DO-friendly specialties.

Thanks Goro.

You were there in my pre-med days offering solid advice and here you are again!

You are a boss.

One of SDN's true gems.

Reactions: 4 users
What's up my loves.

What's done is done.

Taaaankkssss

Well at least you can get FM in a better location, you might even be competitive for the Alaska Rural medicine track. :p

Seriously tho, I am proud of you tho. It is very hard to take that exam with all the restrictions put on us as DO's by our fine Osteopathic institutes. Add in the stress of hearing classmates talk about how the USMLE ripped them a new one, and its easy to wuss out.

Congrats for taking and passing, even if you didn't double your specialty options, I am certain you doubled the amount of residencies that would consider you.

Seems like Anesthesia, PMR, Nuero, Path, Psych are still on the table.

Last edited:
I took UWorld Self assessment #2 three days before step 1 and dropped 24 points on the real thing so I know the disappointment man. I am applying anesthesia here in a few months (<220 Step 1). Just keep your head up and rock step 2 as best you can and that can really open up some doors. And be realistic about the programs open to you if you go for EM, gas, etc. as they will prob be smaller programs. But hey, if its in the specialty you want that's all that matters. Good luck bro. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well at least you can get FM in a better location, you might even be competitive for the Alaska Rural medicine track. :p

Seriously tho, I am proud of you tho. It is very hard to take that exam with all the restrictions put on us as DO's by our fine Osteopathic institutes. Add in the stress of hearing classmates talk about how the USMLE ripped them a new one, and its easy to wuss out.

Congrats for taking and passing, even if you didn't double your specialty options, I am certain you doubled the amount of residencies that would consider you.

Seems like Anesthesia, PMR, Nuero, Path, Psych are still on the table.

hahaha I was wondering where you were with your FM jokes.

but for reall thank you man. Your encouragement means a lot.

I'ma see how 3rd year goes and keep my mind open and focused on step 2 and seeing what happens.

I took UWorld Self assessment #2 three days before step 1 and dropped 24 points on the real thing so I know the disappointment man. I am applying anesthesia here in a few months (<220 Step 1). Just keep your head up and rock step 2 as best you can and that can really open up some doors. And be realistic about the programs open to you if you go for EM, gas, etc. as they will prob be smaller programs. But hey, if its in the specialty you want that's all that matters. Good luck bro. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Damn. sorry to hear that but hey.. bright side is that it could be worse!

lol

It could be a 210!! lol

but it is what it is man.

Appreciate the encouragement.

I'ma see what field I dislike the MOST and can tolerate the best and hopefully it is either FM, IM, Neuro, Peds, etc.

Thanks again and good luck to you!

I’m so sick of the boards circle jerk on SDN. What you bring to the table during auditions, if you’re a quality candidate, can do a lot more for your application than you think. You shine during that rotation and earn an interview, you’re in the pool. Also, Step 2 is being weighted more with each passing cycle.

For the most part, MDs are too afraid to take the chance on audition rotations. They’re a bunch of numbers ******. Use this to your advantage.

Damn. sorry to hear that but hey.. bright side is that it could be worse!

lol

It could be a 210!! lol

but it is what it is man.

Appreciate the encouragement.

I'ma see what field I dislike the MOST and can tolerate the best and hopefully it is either FM, IM, Neuro, Peds, etc.

Thanks again and good luck to you!

You’re competitive for the FM slot in Alaska. It’s time for you to amazon snow jackets in preparation for that audition.

In all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck. You’re going to do great.

You guys are scaring me with this 20+ pts underperformance on sdn. 234 UWSA2 here and will likely hear back in 10 days.

210 can still get you some Neuro residencies at some decent locations.

I’m so sick of the boards circle jerk on SDN. What you bring to the table during auditions, if you’re a quality candidate, can do a lot more for your application than you think. You shine during that rotation and earn an interview, you’re in the pool. Also, Step 2 is being weighted more with each passing cycle.

For the most part, MDs are too afraid to take the chance on audition rotations. They’re a bunch of numbers ******. Use this to your advantage.

That's the thing though. You can audition at like 1-3 places, many of which you might not consider your top choices. Likewise you always run the risk of failing to impress someone as well by not meshing with the personalities. And you're going to apply to >20.

The OP is in fine shape for a lot of residencies and can still do plenty of things. I would obviously say that any surgical specialty should probably be put on the back burner.

That's the thing though. You can audition at like 1-3 places, many of which you might not consider your top choices. Likewise you always run the risk of failing to impress someone as well by not meshing with the personalities. And you're going to apply to >20.

The OP is in fine shape for a lot of residencies and can still do plenty of things. I would obviously say that any surgical specialty should probably be put on the back burner.
I hear you, but you gotta be in it to win it from jump street. You’re not gonna jive with everyone- I get that- but if you can leave a lasting [positive] impression it’s worth a ton. Pair that with a solid Step 2, and there’s still a good chance at matching some decent mid-upper tier specialties or locations.

You’re competitive for the FM slot in Alaska. It’s time for you to amazon snow jackets in preparation for that audition.

You guys are scaring me with this 20+ pts underperformance on sdn. 234 UWSA2 here and will likely hear back in 10 days.

You'll be fine.

I really **** the bed but I think I'm just an outlier man.

You will be fine.

I hear you, but you gotta be in it to win it from jump street. You’re not gonna jive with everyone- I get that- but if you can leave a lasting [positive] impression it’s worth a ton. Pair that with a solid Step 2, and there’s still a good chance at matching some decent mid-upper tier specialties or locations.

Idk about upper tier places. I think you're forgetting we're DOs. Even with states comparable we'd need to be fighting hard just to get an interview or auditions. This year applying for auditions with a good score I mostly got two mid tier university program based electives and then mostly community and lower tier university programs that are historically predominately DO.

I think the OP will match and have options. Likewise 3rd year is a whole new playing field. I have no doubt that they will be able to score well on step 2 if they study hard 3rd year.

You'll be fine.

I really **** the bed but I think I'm just an outlier man.

You will be fine.

People choke and occasionally get messed up. Learn from it and do better on the next step.

Idk about upper tier places. I think you're forgetting we're DOs. Even with states comparable we'd need to be fighting hard just to get an interview or auditions. This year applying for auditions with a good score I mostly got two mid tier university program based electives and then mostly community and lower tier university programs that are historically predominately DO.

I think the OP will match and have options. Likewise 3rd year is a whole new playing field. I have no doubt that they will be able to score well on step 2 if they study hard 3rd year.

People choke and occasionally get messed up. Learn from it and do better on the next step.

I appreciate your support Celty.

I'm going to bust my ass this year for sure.

Just so glad to be done with the in-class stuff and I hope to just be more on top of my game this year.

I hope step 2 is as "easier" as people seem to believe.

It's different. You are also studying for it the whole year as you create your curriculum in effect.

Your score won't define you, and you will have to work harder third year to prove yourself. Intangibles go a long way, the way you interview, who writes your letters of recommendation, etc. For your third year, try to have some scholarly activity by helping residents with case reports or submissions to ACP/osteopathic conferences. They are a great way to show your passion and a good talking point.

Tenacity goes very, very far in medicine.

Seriously, I felt bad enough walking out of that thing as is. I've never even heard of some of that crap and I went pretty deep into review resources. Even the straightforward material was presented in a convoluted way... Ugh

Sorry to hear about @QueenJames I was rooting for ya. A passing USMLE still goes a long way. I wouldn't necessarily count you out of anything if you can make up for it on Step 2. Best of luck going forward.

Go FM, and come start that private practice with me!

We’ll be concierge docs to the stars!

Reactions: 5 users
Go FM, and come start that private practice with me!

We’ll be concierge docs to the stars!

I've been reading up on DPC a lotttt lately... and I will NOT LIE.

I am SERIOUSLY considering FM or IM.... maybe PEDS... SOLELY b/c of the DPC success that aafp has been toting and the personal accounts I have been reading up on.

Goddamnit SLC...

You may talk me into it.

I mean think about... if we both bring in 600-700 patients...

THE SKY IS THE GODDAMN LIMIT MAN.

Last edited:
Seriously, I felt bad enough walking out of that thing as is. I've never even heard of some of that crap and I went pretty deep into review resources. Even the straightforward material was presented in a convoluted way... Ugh

Sorry to hear about @QueenJames I was rooting for ya. A passing USMLE still goes a long way. I wouldn't necessarily count you out of anything if you can make up for it on Step 2. Best of luck going forward.

Thanks zeroo.

The really really weird thing is that not having any expectations before going in and not being deadset on a single specialty has kind of alleviated any extra stress or anxiety I feel that I SHOULD be feeling.

I flirted with numerous specialty ideas but I figured that at the end of the day, I'm just lucky to be here in the states and not in some caribbean program where my score can pretty much almost be a death sentence.

After talking to many upperclassmen... they ended up in many of the primary care specialties that *GASP* many MDs do!

I don't care about location but I know that atleast with my score I WILL match into something. The question is only WHERE.

But got a long time left and am gonna bust my ass this year to see what happens.

Appreciate your insight!

Last edited:
Thanks zeroo.

The really really weird thing is that not having any expectations before going in and not being deadset on a single specialty has kind of alleviated any extra stress or anxiety I feel that I SHOULD be feeling.

I flirted with numerous specialty ideas but at the end of the day, I figured that at the end of the day, I'm just lucky to be here in the states and not in some caribbean program where my score can pretty much almost be a death sentence.

After talking to many upperclassmen... they ended up in many of the primary care specialties that *GASP* many MDs do!

I don't care about location but I know that atleast with my score I WILL match into something. The question is only WHERE.

But got a long time left and am gonna bust my ass this year to see what happens.

Appreciate your insight!

Sending you some positive vibes, brotha or sister. I don’t know which one of you that I’m talking to.

The positive thing now is that you don’t feel like you’re studying both class materials and board materials anymore.

You’re on your own now. That can be a good thing for some people.

I have nothing constructive to add, only that based on your SDN posts you seem like a quality human being and I have no doubt you'll do great in whichever field you decide on. Also I'm sure you'll be able to prognosticate with a lot more accuracy when you have your COMLEX score.

I have nothing constructive to add, only that based on your SDN posts you seem like a quality human being and I have no doubt you'll do great in whichever field you decide on. Also I'm sure you'll be able to prognosticate with a lot more accuracy when you have your COMLEX score.

Thanks bananafish. appreciate you homie.

OP, you're fine. Plenty of options still open, even some of the moderately competitive ones if you apply broadly. I say go for whatever you want, and if you're worried just keep IM/FM programs open as a backup. It helps that surgery, OB, and surgical specialties didn't interest you, because those are the only ones I might be worried about.

So in my day (wasn't that long ago) it was pretty normal for UWSAs to over predict by 20+ pts. Its why the common advice was to always take the NBMEs, because they were usually accurate to within +/-5 pts. I've heard UWSAs have gotten better, but I wonder if that's more of a sample bias.

Depending on your school/4th yr schedule, you may only have 1-2 electives that you can take in your specialty of choice. That's a small basket for all the eggs.

You are absolutely correct though that good impressions on auditions can really make a difference. At some places, however, the divide is just too far to be made up with auditions, and I can't say that I haven't seen a lot of med students that look good on paper really mess things up with auditions.

You are definitely more than your score, and when your score is low, you just have to work harder to make your other attributes known. It doesn't mean you won't match well though, especially if you apply smart and make a good impression on interviews (and have a bit of luck).

Don't worry about it. You're probably fine. Did you take an NBME? In my day, those were the most predictive.

I appreciate your support Celty.

I'm going to bust my ass this year for sure.

Just so glad to be done with the in-class stuff and I hope to just be more on top of my game this year.

I hope step 2 is as "easier" as people seem to believe.

Its just a different exam, and in my opinion easier to do well on because it requires some medical intuition/application that is easier for me to learn than just straight memorizing. Plus as Celty said, you're studying all year for it.

Yeah, that's unfortunately Step 1. It does get better, but I don't think I've ever left an exam feeling good about my performance. It works out most of the time though.

Hey man, 210 isn't the end of the world.
For example, IM has an average matched score of 230, but that doesn't mean you need that high to match, if you look at the charting outcome, 210 has a >90% chance of matching too! I wouldn't worry that much about this for now, go into your clinical with open mind and choose a specialty that you like, as long as you are realistic you'll probably match just fine! Also, they say that a good score on STEP 2 can offset some influence from your STEP 1, so study hard n ace that one.
Good luck!

OP, you're fine. Plenty of options still open, even some of the moderately competitive ones if you apply broadly. I say go for whatever you want, and if you're worried just keep IM/FM programs open as a backup. It helps that surgery, OB, and surgical specialties didn't interest you, because those are the only ones I might be worried about.

So in my day (wasn't that long ago) it was pretty normal for UWSAs to over predict by 20+ pts. Its why the common advice was to always take the NBMEs, because they were usually accurate to within +/-5 pts. I've heard UWSAs have gotten better, but I wonder if that's more of a sample bias.

Depending on your school/4th yr schedule, you may only have 1-2 electives that you can take in your specialty of choice. That's a small basket for all the eggs.

You are absolutely correct though that good impressions on auditions can really make a difference. At some places, however, the divide is just too far to be made up with auditions, and I can't say that I haven't seen a lot of med students that look good on paper really mess things up with auditions.

You are definitely more than your score, and when your score is low, you just have to work harder to make your other attributes known. It doesn't mean you won't match well though, especially if you apply smart and make a good impression on interviews (and have a bit of luck).

Don't worry about it. You're probably fine. Did you take an NBME? In my day, those were the most predictive.

Its just a different exam, and in my opinion easier to do well on because it requires some medical intuition/application that is easier for me to learn than just straight memorizing. Plus as Celty said, you're studying all year for it.

Yeah, that's unfortunately Step 1. It does get better, but I don't think I've ever left an exam feeling good about my performance. It works out most of the time though.

Was very true for me. I got a 232/230 on the two UWSA. 215 on NBME 18. (I also took NBME 15, which was BEFORE dedicated), but 211 on real deal, sadly. So the NBME score was much closer to my real deal. Hindsight is very much 20/20.

Was very true for me. I got a 232/230 on the two UWSA. 215 on NBME 18. (I also took NBME 15, which was BEFORE dedicated), but 211 on real deal, sadly. So the NBME score was much closer to my real deal. Hindsight is very much 20/20.

You'll be OK, 211 is still for most things better than not taking it at all. I saw a lot of 210 cutoffs on Freida when I was randomly researching other fields in 3rd and 4th year. It makes a difference.

update.

got my comlex back.

Not mad at all.

On to step 2 !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users