The rant about the application process thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpmd

Relaxing
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This application cycle is killing me. I am reapplying after not matching last year, which may have a lot to do with it. The things that are causing me to want to do violence:

1. The length of time from application to rejection/interview offer time-I understand it takes time to review applications, but some specialties offer invites much earlier than others. Are they just that much slower or what?

2. Multiple programs interviewing on a single date-I know I won't get many offers, now I have to worry that the few I will get will be on the same damn day. Some programs interview multiple days providing more flexibility, would adding another interview day to give more people a chance really be that hard?

3. Secret filters-If a program knows they only want to interview people with XXX step 1 score, why not just put it on your website and save me some money? If you prefer a certain score but are willing to consider something lower you could put that and let us decide if we think its worth it.

4. Generic rejection letters-If you had told me last year that you thought I was smoking crack if I thought I deserved an interview with you I would have taken you off my list this year. Maybe you could send out one version to the people who looked good to you but you didn't have enough interview slots for, and another to the ones you tossed out immediately (see #3) or laughed a little about when you looked them over.

5. Sending more invites than available interview slots-haven't actually experienced it (and could be just a myth for all I know), but since I heard of this I have turned into a mail checking addict.

6. Sending invites/rejections at different times-yes I realize that the late ones are probably dependent on the response they get to their first wave of invites, but ever since I discovered these forums where I can read about which program invited/rejected people my moods go up and down much more often.

Ok, enough for now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Members don't see this ad.

Your vent touches the thoughts of so many applicants sadly and nothing to be done about it. There are many dinosaur programs out there and who just refuse to understand their impact on student lives. I am in a similar situation where I didn't match last year...

This application cycle is killing me. I am reapplying after not matching last year, which may have a lot to do with it. The things that are causing me to want to do violence:

1. The length of time from application to rejection/interview offer time-I understand it takes time to review applications, but some specialties offer invites much earlier than others. Are they just that much slower or what?

This is a minor point but I hear ya...

2. Multiple programs interviewing on a single date-I know I won't get many offers, now I have to worry that the few I will get will be on the same damn day. Some programs interview multiple days providing more flexibility, would adding another interview day to give more people a chance really be that hard?

This is absolutely so annoying but still there are enough out there that you might be able to get a good schedule going.

3. Secret filters-If a program knows they only want to interview people with XXX step 1 score, why not just put it on your website and save me some money? If you prefer a certain score but are willing to consider something lower you could put that and let us decide if we think its worth it.

This is probably the most evil thing a program can do (and many do) because they are afraid they wont get enough applicants... like that is even possible now a days. They could easily say on their websites 'prefered those with XXX scores but will consider others' but they still don't even do that. I feel that many program directors are way out of touch from the current application process that has turned into a beast.

4. Generic rejection letters-If you had told me last year that you thought I was smoking crack if I thought I deserved an interview with you I would have taken you off my list this year. Maybe you could send out one version to the people who looked good to you but you didn't have enough interview slots for, and another to the ones you tossed out immediately (see #3) or laughed a little about when you looked them over.

:mad: 100% agree and i tried my damnest to filter those #$@$% programs out but it's impossible.. There is no feedback given from many programs... just the generic "no thank you". If you think I am insane for applying to your program PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

5. Sending more invites than available interview slots-haven't actually experienced it (and could be just a myth for all I know), but since I heard of this I have turned into a mail checking addict.

At least they are interviewing.. I don't have any beef with that one.

6. Sending invites/rejections at different times-yes I realize that the late ones are probably dependent on the response they get to their first wave of invites, but ever since I discovered these forums where I can read about which program invited/rejected people my moods go up and down much more often.

I figure the program coordinator is a human being with 1 billion things to do which is why they dont have time to reject people... If only ERAS was intelligent enough to simply allow electronic rejection (with possible comments added to the rejection if the program feels like being generous). We would all be much happier. Until then... we gotta hope the coordinator is not too swamped to tell us when we are rejected.

Ok, enough for now. Thanks for letting me vent.

You are preaching to the choir.....