The reason for my lack of belief in my ability for success.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delawarepremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any of you have read my previous posts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
But something happened at the end of my third semester in college that damaged me in such a huge way that I am still trying to emotionally recover from it. This life altering process started when I fell really hard for a girl I knew from one of my classes. Yet, she rejected me when I asked her out on a date. That rejection from her was a very emotionally painful experience for me. I lost my motivation and stopped taking life seriously.

We need Dr Phil in here stat. How many women are there in Delaware anyway?

Reactions: 12 users
People often tell me that I am a good-looking male. [...] People often comment how "handsome" I am

Well how handsome are you?

On a serious note: OP have you sought counseling? You need to address and CHANGE these insecurities now or else medical school will completely eat you alive.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have sought counseling. Also, I have recently turned to Buddhism and the meditation practices associated with it. That's how I have kept my sanity after going through the pain of romantic rejection as well as my bad grade in O-Chem. Meditation and other Buddhist practices calm my mind and help me focus on my priorities.

tc **** happens in life and you dont always get what you want. just have to keep fighting the good fight

good look on the buddhism too. dharmic philosophy explains the truth that suffering is just an exercise of self-pity . stop pitying yourself. you dont deserve to be with any girl let alone with that specific one. nothing is guaranteed in life. anything you want you just fight for it or accept it

Reactions: 1 users
I got rejected by a girl during college but you know what? It sucked but I used that as motivation to work out and study my ass off. Now I'm in medical school. Turn that negative into positive energy bro. Good luck.

Also, that thread title hurt my brain.

Reactions: 3 users
I think crush (as opposed to love) would be more appropriate to describe someone you never had a relationship with, yet were infatuated with, but to each their own; I'm not you so I don't know the situation.

OP, I feel for you. Getting rejected sucks and all, but you need to realize virtually everyone gets rejected, usually multiple times, in their life. It's usually not a measure of how great you are, or even how attractive you are, which you seem a little too worried about in this thread. Did you think it was impossible that someone would ever reject you? Chalk it up to part of the human experience and get past it.

I honestly recommend 2 things:

1) You need to get some counseling on the issue. You need to talk to someone in a neutral setting that can help you put things in perspective and get you back on track. I really don't think this forum is the place to do that.

2) I would not ever mention this story to adcoms or in your apps. I'm not sure you could tell the story where it would come across impactful or endearing. Your story should be something like "you were immature and didn't take O. Chem as seriously as you should have. You fixed your attitude and have proven that you can succeed with future courses."

As far as med school, you're fine. 1 course isn't going to make or break your chances of getting into medical school. Retake it, do well, and do well on all the later courses (including O Chem 2).

Also, I'd like to reiterate that you shouldn't expect nothing but perfection from yourself. I mean feel free to always hope and strive for it, but stop expecting it. You are very early on in the process. You will get plenty of rejections from medical schools for no good reason. When you're actually in med school, there will be moments where no matter how hard you try, you won't be able to get above a B (or even a C) on an exam. Realize that it's not a measure of who you are, and there are in fact many better things in life to base your self-worth on.

Last edited:
you're going to find that having medical degree will "magically" improve your handsomeness

Reactions: 6 users
I am trying to convert all that negative energy from the rejection to positive energy that will motivate me and help me accomplish my goal. Also, as I previously mentioned, I have recently turned to Buddhism and meditation in order to gain control over my mind rather than have my mind control me. Also, Hallowmann, don't worry, I am never going to mention all these things to medical schools. Getting rejected by a girl is already extremely emasculating and embarrassing for a man. Letting medical schools know about the rejection and my subsequent failure to do well in Organic Chemistry would be emasculating and embarrassing on an even more unthinkable level.

sb247, getting a medical degree is not going to magically improve my masculinity and handsomeness. That's why I have started eating healthy foods, drinking a lot of water to improve my skin as well as lifting so that I can become more physically attractive. These are some of the other ways I am trying to manipulate the negative energy from the rejection for improve myself both physically and mentally.

sb247, getting a medical degree is not going to magically improve my masculinity and handsomeness.

transport-trees-forest-cant_see_the_forest_for_the_trees-expressions-woods-pknn521_high.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
sb247, getting a medical degree is not going to magically improve my masculinity and handsomeness. That's why I have started eating healthy foods, drinking a lot of water to improve my skin as well as lifting so that I can become more physically attractive. These are some of the other ways I am trying to manipulate the negative energy from the rejection for improve myself both physically and mentally.

you are ridiculous if you don't grasp that any male is more attractive to the female population as a doctor than they were as a premed

I agree that a physician is generally more attractive to females. But the masculine attractiveness gained from becoming a physician is just a by-product for me. I can't speak for other people. But I have deeper personal reasons for becoming a physician. If a male wants to become more attractive to females through his career, then medicine is absolutely NOT the right career choice. There are so many other careers that take less time, energy and sacrifice but have a relatively good salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that a physician is generally more attractive to females. But the masculine attractiveness gained from becoming a physician is just a by-product for me. I can't speak for other people. But I have deeper personal reasons for becoming a physician. If a male wants to become more attractive to females through his career, then medicine is absolutely NOT the right career choice. There are so many other careers that take less time, energy and sacrifice but have a relatively good salary.

says the single guy to the married guy

It's great that you are married. But maybe, you should explore the idea that you don't need your wife to make you complete. You are a complete human being by yourself. Maybe, I am a bit biased because of my past experiences. Even before this rejection, I had a very difficult time emotionally when past relationships ended. I got way too attached to those girls than I should have, and when my relationship with them ended, I was left with a lot of mental anguish. I should have probably addressed my weakness for attachment earlier before they took such a heavy toll on the other aspects of my life. But it is better to start late than to never start. I just hope that Buddhism will help me become a stronger person and help me stay detached if I ever get into a relationship with someone in the future so that my next breakup would not leave me mentally scarred.

It's great that you are married. But maybe, you should explore the idea that you don't need your wife to make you complete. You are a complete human being by yourself. Maybe, I am a bit biased because of my past experiences. Even before this rejection, I had a very difficult time emotionally when past relationships ended. I got way too attached to those girls than I should have, and when my relationship with them ended, I was left with a lot of mental anguish. I should have probably addressed my weakness for attachment earlier before they took such a heavy toll on the other aspects of my life. But it is better to start late than to never start. I just hope that Buddhism will help me become a stronger person and help me stay detached if I ever get into a relationship with someone in the future so that my next breakup would not leave me mentally scarred.

I'm not with my wife because "she completes me"...that's a bulls%^& line from a movie. I'm with her because I enjoy her company and we share enough of a value system that we enjoy life with each other more than we thought we would with other people. Your reaction to this situation is unhealthy, hoping to stay detached in relationships is a great way to not have a lasting relationship. I would suggest to continue seeking peace through a belief structure and professional mental health assistance to help you work through some things.

I'm not trying to bust your balls here, but your approach is contributing to your issues and you aren't learning the lessons the past has been trying to teach

Reactions: 4 users

this is good and all, but you have to also make sure you realize that there will always be someone more masculine and handsome than you, and that you wont necessarily be able to get any girl you want just because you improve your handsomeness and masculinity as much as you can.

if you realize this you wont get depressed by any failure - and the same concepts apply to anything you do.

It is great that you enjoy her company and share enough of a value system to enjoy life with each other. I am genuinely happy for both of you. However, everyone is different. And to me, romantic relationships have gradually lost their meaning. What's the point of me emotionally investing in a woman when she is going to either outright reject me or eventually leave me? If I sound too pessimistic about romantic relationships, then just look at the statistics of marriage and divorce in America. Almost half of the marriages in the United States will end in divorce. And I also want to protect my mental health and sanity so that I can at least accomplish my goal of becoming a physician. However, I consider myself married. However, my "wife" is not what most people would consider a wife. For the next decade, I will be married to my journey to become a physician. And if and when I successfully become a physician, I will be married to the desire of being able to competently treat patients and make their lives better. I currently shadow a primary care physician who volunteers every Monday in inner city Wilmington. On that day, he sees poor, uninsured and underserved patients in inner city Wilmington for free. I genuinely admire him for his community service, and he is my role model. I genuinely feel that helping poor, uninsured and underserved communities in inner city Wilmington will give me far more emotional satisfaction than pursuing any kind of relationship with a woman who will probably end up leaving me and taking my children with her.

If I sound too pessimistic about romantic relationships, then just look at the statistics of marriage and divorce in America. Almost half of the marriages in the United States will end in divorce.

Er, that 50% divorce rate is a myth unsupported by census data. Look closely:

xn98JkZ.jpg

It is great that you enjoy her company and share enough of a value system to enjoy life with each other. I am genuinely happy for both of you. However, everyone is different. And to me, romantic relationships have gradually lost their meaning. What's the point of me emotionally investing in a woman when she is going to either outright reject me or eventually leave me? If I sound too pessimistic about romantic relationships, then just look at the statistics of marriage and divorce in America. Almost half of the marriages in the United States will end in divorce. And I also want to protect my mental health and sanity so that I can at least accomplish my goal of becoming a physician. However, I consider myself married. However, my "wife" is not what most people would consider a wife. For the next decade, I will be married to my journey to become a physician. And if and when I successfully become a physician, I will be married to the desire of being able to competently treat patients and make their lives better. I currently shadow a primary care physician who volunteers every Monday in inner city Wilmington. On that day, he sees poor, uninsured and underserved patients in inner city Wilmington for free. I genuinely admire him for his community service, and he is my role model. I genuinely feel that helping poor, uninsured and underserved communities in inner city Wilmington will give me far more emotional satisfaction than pursuing any kind of relationship with a woman who will probably end up leaving me and taking my children with her.

Statements like these lend credence to what sb247 said below. You are going down a path that has nothing to do with healing from the past, but rather basing your life on it. Rather than get past it, you are making it so integral to your life that you're allowing it to dictate all your future relationships.

What's going to happen when you, like most who enter medicine, become disillusioned and develop a sense that its not enough to base all your happiness on this one ideal of being a doctor? There are plenty of depressed docs out there. Don't get me wrong, its a great profession (and in my eyes still admirable, but I haven't finished running through the gauntlet yet), but I would be wary of basing your happiness and life fulfillment on any one specific thing, including this profession. You already saw what happened when you based your happiness solely on dating a specific girl.

...Your reaction to this situation is unhealthy, hoping to stay detached in relationships is a great way to not have a lasting relationship. I would suggest to continue seeking peace through a belief structure and professional mental health assistance to help you work through some things.

I'm not trying to bust your balls here, but your approach is contributing to your issues and you aren't learning the lessons the past has been trying to teach

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a hobby? Do you have a vehicle for crossing the Delaware border to meet exotic women? BTW My Internet diagnosis is that you're idealizing people you date, just like you're idealizing medicine. So, quit it.

Yes, I have a car. And the special thing about that car is that it has a Delaware License Plate which most cars in America don't have. On a more serious level, there are really no exotic women just outside of Delaware. If I am going to travel to meet exotic and beautiful women, it would have to be Brazil. I heard that the girls in Brazil love tall blonde American men.

Here's a little tip from a woman. You don't have to be super hot to get a girlfriend. It helps, sure, but there are plenty of butt ugly men with attractive girlfriends. What they have is a combo of confidence, power, money, status, and personality. The women with them could be there for the money (and is that more shallow than for looks?) which kind of sucks but there are lots of women smart enough to to go for confident, smart, fun-to-be-around, nice men with a decent earning potential. Aim for that, and work with what nature gave you. Dress well and work on your abs but don't become a boring fitness zealot or preening peacock in the process. Don't be a pushover but treat women with the kindness you'd like in return. You don't even have to wait to be a doctor. You'll do just fine in medical school.

Also, check your ego at the door. You need to get OK with rejection and the occasional failure or life is going to kick you in the groin.

DOs, we now have our own Arkangeloid.

Reactions: 4 users
Here's a little tip from a woman. You don't have to be super hot to get a girlfriend. It helps, sure, but there are plenty of butt ugly men with attractive girlfriends. What they have is a combo of confidence, power, money, status, and personality. The women with them could be there for the money (and is that more shallow than for looks?) which kind of sucks but there are lots of women smart enough to to go for confident, smart, fun-to-be-around, nice men with a decent earning potential. Aim for that, and work with what nature gave you. Dress well and work on your abs but don't become a boring fitness zealot or preening peacock in the process. Don't be a pushover but treat women with the kindness you'd like in return. You don't even have to wait to be a doctor. You'll do just fine in medical school.

Also, check your ego at the door. You need to get OK with rejection and the occasional failure or life is going to kick you in the groin.

Well Yea. This is my husband. LOL. JK. He's pretty hot. I mean his attractiveness, however, was only one factor. It was his soul that drew me in. Also, I couldn't see me partnered up with someone that wasn't intelligent. Intelligence is pretty darn sexy, if it is worn right. ;)

Delaware, I am sorry you "loved and lost." You will love again. You will find that person that gels with you. It will happen; just don't get anxious about it. When you aren't looking, it's amazing what you might find. Good luck and the best to you.

Yea. Don't settle for anyone that doesn't love you for YOU.

If any of you have read my previous posts, I have always come across as lacking in self-confidence. I wasn't always like that. Until the first semester of my sophomore year , I was extremely confident in myself as well as my ability to succeed. I was getting straight A's in all my courses. And I was extremely confident in my ability to get into medical school. But something happened at the end of my third semester in college that damaged me in such a huge way that I am still trying to emotionally recover from it. This life altering process started when I fell really hard for a girl I knew from one of my classes. Yet, she rejected me when I asked her out on a date. That rejection from her was a very emotionally painful experience for me. I lost my motivation and stopped taking life seriously. No matter how hard I tried to study, I could not focus because all I could think of was her. Even though I had done extremely well on the first two OChem exams, I got absolutely destroyed on the third exam and the ACS final for O-Chem. I ended up with a D in O-Chem. I am not going to blame her for my D in O-Chem because I am responsible for my own actions including doing poorly in O-Chem exams. Around halfway through the spring semester of my sophomore year, one of my frat brothers started dating her. A part of me was happy for them. However, another part of me was crushed even more. People often tell me that I am a good-looking male. But I guess my frat brother was taller and even better looking than me. I felt emasculated because I wasn't able to attract while she and my frat brother passionately make love to each other every night while I try to take my mind off of her by watching Breaking Bad haha. People often comment how "handsome" I am. Maybe, they are just trying to make me feel better. If they are being truthful, my looks are useless because my frat brother beat me to her. I just hope that I never fall in love again because falling in love has seriously damaged either directly or indirectly in other aspects of my life such as my grades and my chances to get into an American medical school. As of right now, I am trying my best to mentally recover from the emotional damage so that I can retake O-Chem next semester , do well in it and move on with my life.

I hope that you are trolling. I read your other post praising Goro. You are obviously losing touch with reality if you are serious. What you are writing here is completely nuts. I was like this and it messed me up. You are being sucked in a vortex of irrational thoughts and this will probably lead to isolation, which will only increase your problems. I hope you get better.

Ohh, holy crap. I finally took the time to read through the post fully... I was under the impression he was with this girl for a long time, like they were in a serious relationship. I can understand breakups like that are hard. Turns out all of this is because he asked a girl out and she told him no....

Dude, I mean this in a very professional way when I say you really really should consider extensive therapy. If life is this hard for you after a 30 second conversation with a girl, I cannot imagine what in the world is going to happen if you are rejected by a school, or if you get in and fail a course, or if you make it to 3rd year and get chewed out daily for stupid crap from your attendings. I am legit worried for you and for those around you. This sort of instability is eerily familiar to people that have been in the news over the past few years for infamous deeds.

There is nothing wrong with getting help, thats what it is there for. Maybe dont just go to your school's counselors (sometimes they are just interns), try and find a professional with experience in this sort of field. They can help you so much.

Delaware, I am sorry you "loved and lost." You will love again. You will find that person that gels with you. It will happen; just don't get anxious about it. When you aren't looking, it's amazing what you might find. Good luck and the best to you.

there was no love here... there was only massive and unhealthy infatuation. he never dated the girl, he never touched her, he only saw her in class...poor dude should have gotten some practice in high school

there was no love here... there was only massive and unhealthy infatuation. he never dated the girl, he never touched her, he only saw her in class...poor dude should have gotten some practice in high school

Yea, infatuation, true--moving into an obsession. But what I shared still applies. Each person experiences stuff on his/her own time-table. The important thing is to gain growth and insight and then move forward. I mean, I have a streak in me, that I wouldn't allow any such thing to kill my O-Chem grades, if I could help it. If we were talking major tragedy or something like that, then, that would have been different. . .maybe. But then you have to have the presence of mind to "W" and eat the cost, until you can get back on track.

Seems like he hasn't learned about real relationship yet and growing in himself and his own self-esteem, maybe. IMHO, you can't be good with anybody else until you are good with yourself. Just like you can't truly love someone else until you truly love yourself. Probably just needs time grow as a person--or it is a troll post. IDK. Sometimes I am a sucker for sob stories.

I am sorry that a lot of you think that I was trolling. But some of the posts here confirmed some of the things that I have been realizing about myself since last year. I am a mentally weak person. However, if I was a real man, this rejection would not have affected in such a profoundly adverse manner. If I was a real man, I would have aced O-Chem and moved on to Biochemistry. But the embarrassing reality is that I let myself suffer in such an emasculating manner by let her rejection. Unlike a real man, I also invoked the pity of everyone who posted on this thread. This is going to be difficult. But I need to STOP being needy for things from other people. Being needy is what caused all these problems. I needed her to date me to be happy. When that didn't happen, bad things happened in my life. By the way, why should I have any attraction to her or even anyone? Why do I need anyone in my life besides myself to feel happy and enjoy life? A real man has the inner strength to be able to face any curveball that life throws at him. In order to become a real man, I need to develop my own inner strength. That's why I have turned to meditation. My life shouldn't revolve around the viciously emasculating cycle being attracted to girls who will outright reject me or eventually break up with me. If I don't break out of that cycle, then I am only doing a disservice to my soul.

I am sorry that a lot of you think that I was trolling. But some of the posts here confirmed some of the things that I have been realizing about myself since last year. I am a mentally weak person. However, if I was a real man, this rejection would not have affected in such a profoundly adverse manner. If I was a real man, I would have aced O-Chem and moved on to Biochemistry. But the embarrassing reality is that I let myself suffer in such an emasculating manner by let her rejection. Unlike a real man, I also invoked the pity of everyone who posted on this thread. This is going to be difficult. But I need to STOP being needy for things from other people. Being needy is what caused all these problems. I needed her to date me to be happy. When that didn't happen, bad things happened in my life. By the way, why should I have any attraction to her or even anyone? Why do I need anyone in my life besides myself to feel happy and enjoy life? A real man has the inner strength to be able to face any curveball that life throws at him. In order to become a real man, I need to develop my own inner strength. That's why I have turned to meditation. My life shouldn't revolve around the viciously emasculating cycle being attracted to girls who will outright reject me or eventually break up with me. If I don't break out of that cycle, then I am only doing a disservice to my soul.

Whatever works for ya, dude. Good luck and stay away from trouble. And don't put that in your personal statement.

Why don't you try to get a look-alike? You were only attracted to her looks after all.

You seem a little obsessed with this idea of a perfect man and not being masculine enough. This has nothing to do with masculinity, this has to do with the way you're interpreting (or rather misinterpreting) the situations that you find yourself in. Meditation might be great, but without addressing that issue (most likely through some form of therapy), I don't see it significantly changing your situation.

Also, to be clear, failure is really not a measure of your masculinity, but rather a measure that you are alive. No one goes through life without failure. Stop irrationally attributing it to something as insignificant as the social construct of what a man should be in this society.

In other words, if you are real, I strongly recommend talking to someone, preferably a professional, and not continuing to talk on here. That's for your own benefit. If you're not real, stop continuing to talk on here.

Hi, Hallowman, I just wanted to thank you for your positive posts. Unlike so many other posts on this thread, your posts are actually very helpful. Also, I am sorry if I have come across as obsessed with masculinity. But being a male is one of the most important aspects of who I am and my identity. I cannot even imagine being anything other a male. That is how strongly and proudly I cherish my existence as a male primate. There is a saying, "If you are something, become the best at it." I am already a male, so I am simply trying to achieve the masculine ideal. But since you recommend therapy, I will try to find some good therapists in Delaware.

I now pronounce you the troll from Delaware. Get thee to the premed forum.

I am trying to end this thread. So, stop posting your useless comments. If you think I am a troll, why do you keep posting on this thread?

Er, that 50% divorce rate is a myth unsupported by census data. Look closely:

xn98JkZ.jpg

Guess what? The divorce trend line of marriages in the 2000s is riding awfully close to the lines from previous decades. It took almost 30 years for the 1980s peak divorce rate to manifest. The 90s trend is increasing as of late. As for the 2000s, it's really too early to tell. The headline and article are both misleading and indicative of the type of fishy statistics the mainstream media espouses.

Anyway, carry on.

bruh.....I can sense where you are coming from. I personally don't think you need professional help. One-itis (look it up. it might open you up to world you don't know about yet) gets the best of us sometimes. Don't judge your self worth based on what others think or what your profession is. It's exhausting. Trust me. You don't want to be a doctor and go through this wheel of emotions again.

Lift, eat right, sleep well, and work hard towards your goal to becoming the best physician you can possibly be. Maybe read some PUA/redpill stuff along the way. Some of it is kind sleezy, but there is a lot of stuff to take away from it. You'll meet someone who is really into you for you who are. Honestly, you don't want a girl who is just into your looks. Chances are that her looks are all she has to offer to you. I say forget this broad. Just study hard, build your foundation, and the girls will come. While you're on this journey, talk to as many girls as possible. You'll realize that there is a lot more that girls are into than a handsome face, six pack abs, and thick wallet. The money part is debatable ;)

I know this advice sounds like bro advice, but I think you just need a crew of guys who are on your side, who want to help you, and are not on SDN. Not to the dismay of any women reading this thread, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of having a crew or even just your best guy friend to address situations like this and any possibly inquiries you might have. Needless to say, it's helped me a lot.

Keep your head up. This girl is missing out. Believe that.