The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, you can't make any changes. I called and emailed to see if I could but I was told that no changes are allowed after submission.

You can update the schools directly if you think the activity is valuable to your application.

Eh it's ok. It wouldn't make a difference anyways. It's just that I mention the activity in my secondaries for Southwestern, A&M, and Texas Tech at Lubbock and it is one of my most meaningful activities under AMCAS. I can't believe that I didn't notice that I forgot it. I'm pretty sure that I typed it in, but I forgot to click Save and Continue and didn't notice it when I double checked everything.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only updates they take is additional coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully it'll be a lot more noisier on November 15th. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Too much Ebola in this state for yammering.

Reactions: 3 users
So jealous of the OOS'ers who can start hearing back this month!

Reactions: 1 users
Here is a question.

Im 23 soon to be 24 y/o Texas resident.

I have a very strong GPA good enough for any school in Texas and have taken the MCAT twice and have strong E.C's as well including research but no pub. My MCAT scores are 11/5/10 first time and 12/7/10 second time

I trasmitted in late June and towards end July all my secondaries were out. So far I only have one II, at one of the more competitive schools in Texas, so I don't expect to get in after the II. I haven't heard anything from the less competitive schools like PFLSOM and Texas A&M even though my numbers are competitive for those schools.
I need to start studying now if I want to be ready to take the Jan 2015 MCAT which I am signed up for. Should I throw in the towel and try next cycle? I do think I can raise my verbal some (1 to 2 pt) and go up 1 pt in BS but my PS is likely to fall 1 pt. This is just a hunch, I have nothing concrete. I just have been working since early 2014 to get better at reading comprehension.

hi. this process kinda confuses me.
if im OOS, i dont match, right?
i can just hear back as early as oct 15 ?

Here is a question.

Im 23 soon to be 24 y/o Texas resident.

I have a very strong GPA good enough for any school in Texas and have taken the MCAT twice and have strong E.C's as well including research but no pub. My MCAT scores are 11/5/10 first time and 12/7/10 second time

I trasmitted in late June and towards end July all my secondaries were out. So far I only have one II, at one of the more competitive schools in Texas, so I don't expect to get in after the II. I haven't heard anything from the less competitive schools like PFLSOM and Texas A&M even though my numbers are competitive for those schools.
I need to start studying now if I want to be ready to take the Jan 2015 MCAT which I am signed up for. Should I throw in the towel and try next cycle? I do think I can raise my verbal some (1 to 2 pt) and go up 1 pt in BS but my PS is likely to fall 1 pt. This is just a hunch, I have nothing concrete. I just have been working since early 2014 to get better at reading comprehension.
I know a lot of people that don't get interview invites until November/December, and then don't get in until they get off the waitlist. Some people will get only one invite at the very beginning, and then nothing, and still get in. Someone one here a few years ago got 5 invites and didn't get in.

hi. this process kinda confuses me.
if im OOS, i dont match, right?
i can just hear back as early as oct 15 ?

Right, you don't match. You're probably going to be accepted anytime between now and January. But most likely between now and November 15th (whenever they start sending out prematches). I think you'll also hear back if you were rejected sooner as well.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I applied last year and am more than happy to answer any questions. I interviewed at each excluding TCOM (didn't apply), prematched at 6, accepted post-match at 7th.

For those interested in UTSW, I would encourage you to review the new curriculum which will start in fall 2015. The current program has 2 years of coursework (first semester pass/fail) followed by two years of clinicals. Next year's class will have 1.5 years of coursework (less focus on biochem...all pass/fail) and 2.5 years of clinicals. The new curriculum is similar to Baylor's and looks fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user
What's up guys! I'm interviewing at A&M tomorrow, and I honestly couldn't be more excited! S&W is an amazing hospital and it looks even more incredible in person than I ever imagined. Just...wow.

For those that have interviewed there already, how do you guys feel about the different campuses, and which one is the most desirable? I know Scott&White is in temple, so would it be better to do the preclinical years at that campus so you can already get acquainted with the hospital?

All these schools with their multiple campuses really confuse me haha.

Last edited:
What's up guys! I'm interviewing at A&M tomorrow, and I honestly couldn't be more excited! S&W is an amazing hospital and it looks even more incredible in person than I ever imagined. Just wow.

For those that have interviewed there already, how do you guys feel about the different campuses, and which one is the most desirable? I know Scott&White is in temple, so would it be better to do the preclinical years at that campus so you can already get acquainted with the hospital?

All these schools with their multiple campuses really confuse me haha.
I've heard everyone is in cstat for the first year! A&M is redoing their curriculum. That's just the word on the street though

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, everyone is at the CS campus for the first 1.5 years as part of the new curriculum. Then for the next 2.5, everyone breaks off to the different campuses.

Just out of curiosity, what are you all placing most importance in when ranking schools? feel > curriculum > daily schedule > match lists > location (etc)?? Ranking these schools is so tough.

Which Texas schools are P/F? I know Baylor is, but they have internal ranking. Is Southwestern's new curriculum true P/F?

Which Texas schools are P/F? I know Baylor is, but they have internal ranking. Is Southwestern's new curriculum true P/F?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and not sure about UTSW, but:

TT El Paso - true P/F
UTMB - Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail (in talks of moving to P/F)
TAMHSC - Honors, Pass, Fail
TT Lubbock - Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and not sure about UTSW, but:

TT El Paso - true P/F
UTMB - Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail (in talks of moving to P/F)
TAMHSC - Honors, Pass, Fail
TT Lubbock - Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail

UTSW is moving to true P/F. I think San Antonio does grades (and they keep holding votes and the students keep wanting grades) and then Houston has pretty much what UTMB has except it's not based on class percentage (so technically the whole class could be honors).

Just out of curiosity, what are you all placing most importance in when ranking schools? feel > curriculum > daily schedule > match lists > location (etc)?? Ranking these schools is so tough.

I agree that it's very tough! Everyone will have their own assigned weights to each category, but things I am using to rank are (in no particular order): -curriculum that is best for me
-location (including diversity, food, feel)
-pedigree (rank and reputation, both in TX and OOS, match lists)
-fit (are students I met on interview day ones I can see myself studying medicine with?, gut feeling)
-research opportunities
-cost of attendance (financial aid, living expenses, scholarships(?))

Again, nothing I mentioned is out of the box thinking when it comes to ranking schools, but every person will have different weight associated to each category.

I agree that it's very tough! Everyone will have their own assigned weights to each category, but things I am using to rank are (in no particular order): -curriculum that is best for me
-location (including diversity, food, feel)
-pedigree (rank and reputation, both in TX and OOS, match lists)
-fit (are students I met on interview day ones I can see myself studying medicine with?, gut feeling)
-research opportunities
-cost of attendance (financial aid, living expenses, scholarships(?))

Again, nothing I mentioned is out of the box thinking when it comes to ranking schools, but every person will have different weight associated to each category.

Good to know! What all have you heard about scholarships? Besides the typical "apply for scholarships once you matriculate and see," from most schools, the only place I've heard differently from was Foster - they said they will offer scholarships before matriculating (as an incentive to go there lol).

If you prematch there are scholarship offers to some before submitting your match list (Dec/Jan)

Hello everyone! Joining y'all in this angst of applying. Is anyone going to ACL this weekend for some relaxation?

Hello everyone! Joining y'all in this angst of applying. Is anyone going to ACL this weekend for some relaxation?

Nope! ACL isn't my sort of deal, but I know others who went this past weekend who liked this year's a lot.

I think only PLF is true pass fail. And even the other ones that claim are honors/high pass/pass/fail, are, but aren't. The cut offs for those things don't necessarily correspond to 90, 80, 70, they correspond to percentage of the class. So top 10% of the class will get honors, for example. It doesn't matter if you got a 95%, if you fell outside that 10%, you're getting the next lower score.

But, that may not even matter, because most schools rank you off your actual numerical grade. So even if you got honors straight through, and have "4.0", you might still not be ranked #1 if everyone else had a higher numerical score than you in the courses.

It's dumb. Just get into med school, learn the material, and do good on step, and you're 95% of the way to getting the specialty you want.

UTSW currently has first semester true pass/fail and next year the first 1.5 years will be true pass/fail too. Honestly, I don't think it would make a difference for me in how I prepare, study, and view the rest of my class. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think only PLF is true pass fail. And even the other ones that claim are honors/high pass/pass/fail, are, but aren't. The cut offs for those things don't necessarily correspond to 90, 80, 70, they correspond to percentage of the class. So top 10% of the class will get honors, for example. It doesn't matter if you got a 95%, if you fell outside that 10%, you're getting the next lower score.

But, that may not even matter, because most schools rank you off your actual numerical grade. So even if you got honors straight through, and have "4.0", you might still not be ranked #1 if everyone else had a higher numerical score than you in the courses.

It's dumb. Just get into med school, learn the material, and do good on step, and you're 95% of the way to getting the specialty you want.

PLF and SW will be true P/F our year.
Houston grading system corresponds to scores not percentiles. I believe you are right for everyone else.

Everyone else is getting so excited for Oct 15, and I'm over here like "Only a little over a month until Nov 15" :-/

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone else is getting so excited for Oct 15, and I'm over here like "Only a little over a month until Nov 15" :-/

Should we begin the official countdown when it hits T - 30 days? :hardy:

Do all the schools send pre matches right on Nov 15 or are they sent in waves throughout Nov 15-Dec 31?
I wonder if this year will be different because Nov 15 falls on a Saturday

Do all the schools send pre matches right on Nov 15 or are they sent in waves throughout Nov 15-Dec 31?

All schools send out pre-matches on November 15 (or whatever date they choose to go with this year). Some of them will send out subsequent acceptances between Nov. 15 and the start of the match period based on withdrawals, while others have historically waited until the match to fill the rest of their class. Don't remember which schools do which, though.

I have an interview at UTHSCSA in late november, after the 15th. Anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?

Last edited:
I have an interview at UTSA in late november, after the 15th. Anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?
Tip: Don't call them UTSA. I hear they don't like that. They're UTHSCSA. Some people pronounce it "U-tusk-ah"

Noted, and edited accordingly. I don't suppose you know enough to answer the question though?
You didn't need to edit it, but to answer your question, it's quite variable. I didn't interview there, but if I recall correctly some people got pre-matches from them in December. So it's possible you might hear back even though your interview is after the initial prematches go out, but most people that get interviews after Nov 15th (no matter which school they go to) usually won't get a prematch and will have to wait till the match. And that's mainly just because schools that are prematch heavy only send out one big batch, and then sparingly send out prematches as other students turn them down. Most students like to hold onto their prematches for some reason, even if htey know they're not going to the school, which is why there can be a lot of people getting in February 1st, and even a few days after.

Everyone is so pumped for Oct 15th and I can't help but get excited with them even though I have nothing to get excited for! It's going to be a long month...

Hey everyone! I'm a student at UTMB from OOS. If you have any questions about UTMB, the OOS process, or interviewing at Texas schools, shoot me a message! I'm very involved with the UTMB curriculum and can give you in depth responses on your questions.
UTMB is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. The top 15% is Honors, top half of the class besides honors gets High Pass and then the rest usually Pass. We are limited to only a few students failing, which is very encouraging.
One thing I focused a lot on while applying to med school is the preclinical curriculum. I still think it is very important to go to a school with module/systems based classes because it saves you a ton of time once you know how you study. A lot of the schools that have traditional classes produce unnecessary stress on their students. However, don't put too much weight into the preclinical classes. You will learn the same things, regardless of where you go. Some schools may be less stressful, but you will always have to work hard. Just my two cents. Shoot me a message if you have any questions about UTMB!!

Hey everyone! I'm a student at UTMB from OOS. If you have any questions about UTMB, the OOS process, or interviewing at Texas schools, shoot me a message! I'm very involved with the UTMB curriculum and can give you in depth responses on your questions.
UTMB is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. The top 15% is Honors, top half of the class besides honors gets High Pass and then the rest usually Pass. We are limited to only a few students failing, which is very encouraging.
One thing I focused a lot on while applying to med school is the preclinical curriculum. I still think it is very important to go to a school with module/systems based classes because it saves you a ton of time once you know how you study. A lot of the schools that have traditional classes produce unnecessary stress on their students. However, don't put too much weight into the preclinical classes. You will learn the same things, regardless of where you go. Some schools may be less stressful, but you will always have to work hard. Just my two cents. Shoot me a message if you have any questions about UTMB!!

Could you clarify what a module/system based system is?

Also, good luck to any OOS'ers who may start hearing back from TMDSAS schools on Oct. 15th!

Anyone here did not go through a committee letter? This is one of those variables that I don't want to think about since I have poor gpa, but great post-bac gpa.

Anyone here did not go through a committee letter? This is one of those variables that I don't want to think about since I have poor gpa, but great post-bac gpa.

My school doesn't do committee letters, so I didn't have one.

My school doesn't do committee letters, so I didn't have one.
My understanding is that if your school does do a committee letter, you should use it, and if your school does not, then you obviously can't.

Also, any OOS applicants hear back today?

My understanding is that if your school does do a committee letter, you should use it, and if your school does not, then you obviously can't.

Also, any OOS applicants hear back today?

i haven't yet. still havent lost hope though.

Wow. One more month. This is going to be a long month.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay, I'm officially losing hope. I've been complete at every school since the last week of June/first week of July and have only heard back from UTH so far. My stats are 3.7/29 so nothing super competitive, but I still thought I had a shot at the lower tier places. I have no red flags as far as I'm aware and I always considered my ECs pretty impressive. I know no one here has any answers, but I just needed to vent somewhere other than to my pre-med friends who are all sitting at 4+ IIs right now. :(

Okay, I'm officially losing hope. I've been complete at every school since the last week of June/first week of July and have only heard back from UTH so far. My stats are 3.7/29 so nothing super competitive, but I still thought I had a shot at the lower tier places. I have no red flags as far as I'm aware and I always considered my ECs pretty impressive. I know no one here has any answers, but I just needed to vent somewhere other than to my pre-med friends who are all sitting at 4+ IIs right now. :(
I was complete in June and just got an ii this week to UTMB! Don't give up hope!

I was complete around the same time as you, little bit higher GPA, and I still have not heard back from UTH. Consider yourself lucky.

I was complete around the same time as you, little bit higher GPA, and I still have not heard back from UTH. Consider yourself lucky.
Yes, same here, slightly higher gpa and MCAT. I've only heard from San Antonio and I applied to every TMDSAS school. Don't stop checking your email. I think all three of us will hear something more soon.

I only applied TMDSAS. 3.84 cGPA / 34 MCAT, but I submitted August 10th. I think my late submission is coming back to bite me. I've interviewed with UTSW and have Tech Lubbock next week with UTMB in a month. But silence from the other four. I'm thankful for the three II's I have so far, but I'm kicking myself over not applying earlier.