The Rubber Glove Smell....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kajika

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the rubber glove smell off my hands no matter how many times I wash them. Luckily I don't notice it often anymore, but my friends are starting to complain that I smell like latex. ;) Any words of advice other than switching to nitrile (which we keep around for handling nasties like ethidium)?

Members don't see this ad.

Kajika said:
I can't seem to get the rubber glove smell off my hands no matter how many times I wash them. Luckily I don't notice it often anymore, but my friends are starting to complain that I smell like latex. ;) Any words of advice other than switching to nitrile (which we keep around for handling nasties like ethidium)?

Ah ha! I had the same problem. The best thing that I know of to get rid of the smell is "Triseptin" scrub soap. This stuff is hardcore, and will get rid of any odor.

JETER said:
Ah ha! I had the same problem. The best thing that I know of to get rid of the smell is "Triseptin" scrub soap. This stuff is hardcore, and will get rid of any odor.

Hah hah, we didn't even have hand soap in our lab until one of our students went to Wal-Mart and bought some. I think I'll just try ethanoling my hands (apparently trisepetin is 70% EtOH). That'll do wonders for winter dry skin, right?