The SDN Prestige Poll (2016 Version)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is prestige worth an additional 100k+ of debt?

• Only for Stanford, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn, and/or Harvard.

Votes: 91 31.6%
  • Only for a school in the US News Top 10.

Votes: 75 26.0%
  • Only for a school in the US News Top 20.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • In most cases (even for a top 30) because prestige gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 69 24.0%

• Total voters

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm wondering (again-lol) how SDN feels about taking on an additional 6 figures of debt for a more prestigious school. I realize that other factors come into play when picking a med school, but prestige seems to be the most prevalent justification for a higher COA.

While the poll is anonymous, I'd like to hear why you picked a specific answer i.e. I'm aiming for a top IM program so I'd pay more for a top 10, Stanford is worth an extra 100k due to opportunities outside of medicine etc. Additionally, it'd be awesome to hear from med students and physicians who dealt with this sort of School X vs. School Y dilemma.

Oh, and Mayo counts as a top 10 school.
tumblr_m6lejks90e1rr6091o1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well, my state school would put me at $315K, so $100K more would be $415K.......Definitely wouldn't do.

But in a hypothetical situation where the debt was less crazy, I said the Stanford, UCSF, etc. I still think would be a very stupid decision and not really worth it, but I think my arrogance would get me in the end and I would take the debt

Reactions: 1 users
I chose "Only for Stanford, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn, and/or Harvard". I doubt I'll be gunning for a "top residency", and I have no interest in having an academic career. I'd rather have the money to take cool vacations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose "Only for Stanford, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn, and/or Harvard". I doubt I'll be gunning for a "top residency", and I have no interest in having an academic career. I'd rather have the money to take cool vacations.
Your family can afford it.

Reactions: 5 users
Your family can afford it.

Lol at first I thought you meant my real family and I was like o_O what the f***, does he know who I am!?

Reactions: 11 users
Penn? How the hell is Penn in the very top tier?

IMO the top tier would be (in no particular order):
Stanford
Harvard
WashU
Yale
UCSF
Hopkins
Mayo

WashU might not even count as very top either IMO because even though it's big in the medical community, most laymen won't even recognize it as a top school. I would pay a significant amount more for all those schools except WashU.

WashU might not even count as very top either IMO because even though it's big in the medical community, most laymen won't even recognize it as a top school. I would pay a significant amount more for all those schools except WashU.
nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

Reactions: 20 users
I doubt there is a significant difference in prestige between Penn and, say, Duke even though they're technically ranked differently.

Also this is such an SDN post

Reactions: 11 users
I doubt there is a significant difference in prestige between Penn and, say, Duke even though they're technically ranked differently.

It's clearly tongue-in-cheek :p Sometimes we've got to poke fun at ourselves.

The poll question is supposed to be taken seriously. It's clearly something that applicants wrestle with all the time. But as @Mad Jack pointed out, the tiers in the poll answers are tongue in cheek. They actually reflect how SDN tends to categorize schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I just say, as someone who is just now on season 2 of Game of Thrones (first time ever watching), this Joffrey kid is a real jive-turkey

I think there's people on SDN that would legitimately light their firstborn on fire to get into Harvard.

Reactions: 14 users
So I'm wondering (again-lol) how SDN feels about taking on an additional 6 figures of debt for a more prestigious school. I realize that other factors come into play when picking a med school, but prestige seems to be the most prevalent justification for a higher COA.

While the poll is anonymous, I'd like to hear why you picked a specific answer i.e. I'm aiming for a top IM program so I'd pay more for a top 10, Stanford is worth an extra 100k due to opportunities outside of medicine etc. Additionally, it'd be awesome to hear from med students and physicians who dealt with this sort of School X vs. School Y dilemma.

Oh, and Mayo counts as a top 10 school.
tumblr_m6lejks90e1rr6091o1_500.gif

Where does the college of winter hold rank? I've heard it was excellent some time ago, but that was before I took an arrow to the knee.

I couldn't resist...:shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
Can I just say, as someone who is just now on season 2 of Game of Thrones (first time ever watching), this Joffrey kid is a real jive-turkey

You seem like the type of guy that will enjoy weddings..

Reactions: 13 users
The poll question is supposed to be taken seriously. It's clearly something that applicants wrestle with all the time. But as @Mad Jack pointed out, the tiers in the poll answers are tongue in cheek. They actually reflect how SDN tends to categorize schools.
Come on now, this is SDN!

And it depends too much on the individual's goal. Why in the blue **** would you ever advise someone wanting to go into primary care (for example) to take on an extra 100k+ of debt to go to a top tier? It would be foolish. I'm not sure your poll can spit out useful results.

Too many variables. Desired specialty, practice environment, alternative med school, etc. I'll cop out and vote top 5 though

I'd pay $100,000+ extra to attend Princeton Medical School.

I think there's people on SDN that would legitimately light their firstborn on fire to get into Harvard.
Hey if you wanna make an omelet...

Don't talk about my son like that. I'll have you strangled in your sleep.

Only GoT scene that's ever made me cry.

I'm not one to enjoy weddings, but I choked up. It was beautiful, even the host couldn't resist.

I watched it with my mom and she was pissed, said it wasn't painful enough.

4 more days...I'm so excited for the new season, it's the first time I'm not going to know what happens ahead of time (speaking of that, George needs to hurry up, I want Winds of Winter).

EDIT: 3 more days...I can't math.

Stanford
Harvard
WashU
Yale
UCSF
Hopkins
Mayo

What.

I voted for the first option because I might want to do a specialty that is big in academic hospitals.

Most people who have no knowledge of the medical world wouldn't recognize WashU, but will recognize UCSF and Mayo?

Most people who have no knowledge of the medical world wouldn't recognize WashU, but will recognize UCSF and Mayo?
Eh, I feel like most people have heard of Mayo Clinic and would probably assume the associated medical school would be highly ranked. Although, I agree that people outside the medical field wouldn't recognize UCSF.

Eh, I feel like most people have heard of Mayo Clinic and would probably assume the associated medical school would be highly ranked. Although, I agree that people outside the medical field wouldn't recognize UCSF.

Idk what "most people" you hangout with but most people I've met are confused as to why a school is named after a condiment

Reactions: 6 users
Idk what "most people" you hangout with but most people I've met are confused as to why a school is named after a condiment
Huh, might be some crazy coincidence then, but I've never met anyone who didn't know what Mayo Clinic was.

Last edited:

It's either that or donate a new wing to the library lol

My answer is only for Mayo (which is heavily subsidized by grants)

Stanford
Harvard
WashU
Yale
UCSF
Hopkins
Mayo

your beloved nimble navigator went to Penn

pretty sure that's a negative though

Stanford
Harvard
WashU
Yale
UCSF
Hopkins
Mayo

You do realize that Perelman is the oldest medical school in the US and played a huge role in establishing what is now modern american medicine?

In terms of med school prestige (not undergrad prestige) Penn is right up there with Harvard, Hopkins, and Stanford.

Huh, might be some crazy coincidence then, but I've never met anyone who didn't know what Mayo Clinic was.
Most of my family doesn't even know Hopkins has a hospital. If I named all those schools (Harvard Yale Stanford Mayo Hop UCSF etc), probably only Harvard Yale and Stanford would be recognized.