The situation in Kiev, Ukraine

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, I understand this is off-topic from the section, but until they add the off topic section again, I figured I'd post about it.

I have been following the situation in Ukraine after the protests began about 3 weeks ago. The protests originally began because their leader(Viktor Yanukovych) refused to sign a association deal with the European Union. So, protesters have held the Independence square in their capital of Kiev, even after constant encounters with law enforcement to remove them.

Regardless of the situation, I value the cooperation and dedication between the those who support their cause. Not to mention, remaining together during law enforcement encounters, as well as subzero temperatures night after night.

Here is a live feed of the protests (24 hours) - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/euromajdan

*Feel free to comment and discuss!!*

A few Pictures from the protests:

t708j8.jpg

hwa49i.jpg

15x0lrl.jpg

qyeflk.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Meh...another US-backed color "revolution" which is bound to fail.

I support these people. They know the EU deal is good for their country after being Russia's puppet the last 70 years. They're understandably mad now that their PM wants to sign another deal with Russia. Good luck to them, hopefully it gets somewhere.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I support these people. They know the EU deal is good for their country after being Russia's puppet the last 70 years. They're understandably mad now that their PM wants to sign another deal with Russia. Good luck to them, hopefully it gets somewhere.....

Right, because being Brussels' new lapdog is any better than being Russia's puppet. Nothing like giving up sovereignty for loans with compound interest and ensuing bankruptcy!

Unfortunately, a majority did want to see that deal signed, therefore they are protesting about it. There are a lot of things that are debated, but if it is a truly "democratic" country, he should of signed that deal.

Unfortunately, a majority did want to see that deal signed, therefore they are protesting about it. There are a lot of things that are debated, but if it is a truly "democratic" country, he should of signed that deal.
If it was truly democratic country this issue should have been voted on in a referendum.

Come on though, no country is a true democracy. We all elect people who claim to represent our best interests, when really they look after their own pockets. I think Ukraine sees that now more than ever.

(But then again, how valid is an "election" in Ukraine?)

Come on though, no country is a true democracy. We all elect people who claim to represent our best interests, when really they look after their own pockets. I think Ukraine sees that now more than ever.

(But then again, how valid is an "election" in Ukraine?)

They are struggling to make some sort of democracy I suppose, but their main focus was the deal, now it is leaning towards the whole government to step down haha.

They are struggling to make some sort of democracy I suppose, but their main focus was the deal, now it is leaning towards the whole government to step down haha.
The opposition leaders are just as bad as the guys in charge. They all are power hungry and simply use public outrage with EU negotiations to advance their own political ambitions.

The opposition leaders are just as bad as the guys in charge. They all are power hungry and simply use public outrage with EU negotiations to advance their own political ambitions.

Yeah, I found that kind of odd that now the opposition parties are demanding the government be switched around, who knows what will happen at this point.

New anti-protesting laws were passed in Ukraine recently to help curb the protests. It contained stricter rules and heightened penalties for those involved in protests. These protests have continued since late November.

20ukraine-img-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Last edited:
-The Anti protest laws were annulled and the prime minister of the country resigned a few days ago, after a set of violent strikes between protesters and police.
Many doctors and volunteers are servicing these camps around the clock(for those injured). However, there has been little to no violence in recent days as talks between the opposition and government continue.

images