Other OT-Related Information The $$ Struggle is Real

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w.amanda96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

As I prepare to start an OT program in the fall, the thought of all of the money that will be spent (tuition + living expenses) is daunting. I understand that it will be challenging to work as a student, but I hope to find some small jobs (babysitting, etc) that will provide a tiny bit of money coming in every month.

That being said... to current students, practitioners, or anyone who has input: what are some tips/tricks to save as much money as possible or spend as little while a student? Are there any tools that aid in budgeting that you use?

Sincerely,
A Student Stressed about $$$

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not yet an OT student, but I've started budgeting with Every Dollar and it's been incredibly helpful just to know where my money is going.

I am also very scared about the huge pile of loans I'll be committing to :(

One of the easiest ways to save money is to bring your own food and cut back on eating out. Also, you can find a roommate and price out places so you know you're getting the best deal.

I also use the Every Dollar app and it's been a huge help! Highly recommend it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I am a future student starting in the fall as well. This is also a worry of mine. I have been budgeting for a while as my fiance and I are curently in the process of buying a house and planning a wedding (to add to the stress) this summer. I'd say along with the other member, save money by eating in and meal prepping! I save so much money by shopping at Aldi and meal prepping for the week. Also, make an excel spreadsheet. Make columns for where your money needs to go whether that is bills or spending so you are sure that you have enough for everything each month. Make a list of all of your expenses and see where you can cut. Just remember, you can add those expenses back in later. School is temporary but the debts can last for a while! I suggest getting a part time job waitressing or cleaning while youre in school. Get a shift or two a week so you have some money coming in for food and gas. That way you can take out less money against yourself for the long run!

I will be starting in the fall and this is also something I'm nervous for, even though I've been saving as much as I can this whole year. Besides the great suggestions that others have provided, I think some ways to minimize your cost of living is to take advantage of student discounts and of free/cheap options for different types of spending. I work at a university and use my .edu email to get prime accounts for Amazon and Spotify, and for just general discounts at stores, movie theaters, etc. Most universities also have services that you're paying for with your tuition and fees including a gym, health services, etc. so try to take advantage of those as much as possible. I think when it comes to living costs, a lot of it is about small expenses adding up, so if you can make food and coffee at home (I second Aldi, love that place!), use public transportation instead of a car if feasible, which is sometimes offered at a reduced price or free of charge for students (or walk/bike if you can, that's even better!), go to free events as opposed to eating out at restaurants for entertainment, etc. etc. Even something as simple as shopping at second-hand stores, where you can find such great and often unique pieces for so cheap - I bought a nice blazer for my OT interviews for $3 at one :) I would also recommend looking at cheaper phone plan options if that's something that's a big expense for you. I used to spend so much money on my phone bill and I now have a great plan through Tello (Sprint) that costs me $20 a month.

A small part-time job has greatly benefited me and a lot of my class members and is do-able with my program if you manage your time well. As far as other ways to cut money, I've just given up a lot of now luxuries like buying coffee out on a regular basis, limiting my eating out/doing more meal preparation at home, shopping for new clothes, and a gym membership (taken up running and at-home workouts instead). Carpooling to class experiences that are a while away have been helpful too for saving on gas money (a group of us often take turns driving) along with just general budgeting to know exactly where my money has been going.

Hi all!

As I prepare to start an OT program in the fall, the thought of all of the money that will be spent (tuition + living expenses) is daunting. I understand that it will be challenging to work as a student, but I hope to find some small jobs (babysitting, etc) that will provide a tiny bit of money coming in every month.

That being said... to current students, practitioners, or anyone who has input: what are some tips/tricks to save as much money as possible or spend as little while a student? Are there any tools that aid in budgeting that you use?

Sincerely,
A Student Stressed about $$$

Buy cheap stuff at walmart, eat healthy and workout. Rent a home with fellow students and all that. Don't take a job because before/during/after school you will be practicing for practicals. You can do uber if you are into that type of thing.

Reactions: 1 user