This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gelfbeard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we progress to 2020, all the osteopathic programs that become pre-accredited and finally accredited will be trickling over to the NRMP from the NMS. I wanted to see if there is a list of the programs that have switched over already, and if there isn't we should start one right here.

As far as I know, all the dually accredited programs already participate but there may be technicalities involved depending on whether you applied to the MD/DO part.

I found out that the PCOM IM program at Penn Hospital participates in the NRMP but that's the only one I know of so far.

Members don't see this ad.

There already is an automatically updated list. Just run the report at https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18 and anything that says "Initial Accreditation" should be transitioning over to the NRMP.

The PCOM program you are referring to hasn't transitioned, because it was already dual-accredited so it won't have to go through the pre-accreditation step. Are you referring to them now taking ALL their incoming residents through the NRMP match instead of some through the NMS and some through NRMP?

There already is an automatically updated list. Just run the report at https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18 and anything that says "Initial Accreditation" should be transitioning over to the NRMP.

The PCOM program you are referring to hasn't transitioned, because it was already dual-accredited so it won't have to go through the pre-accreditation step. Are you referring to them now taking ALL their incoming residents through the NRMP match instead of some through the NMS and some through NRMP?

The reason I asked is because I applied to both matches but I'm leaning towards only submitting for NRMP. I wasn't sure if the dually accredited programs would carry over or if they require an MD application. It's confusing but does that make sense? I still want the benefit of having those programs to rank in the MD match.

The reason I asked is because I applied to both matches but I'm leaning towards only submitting for NRMP. I wasn't sure if the dually accredited programs would carry over or if they require an MD application. It's confusing but does that make sense? I still want the benefit of having those programs to rank in the MD match.
Sounds like we are in a similar position. I too am leaning towards only submitting for the NRMP and have a dually-accredited program that I am interviewing with. I hope I can rank them on the NRMP side even though I received the interview invite from their osteopathic side. Regarding dually-accredited programs, a few med students or current residents I have heard from online say that they have had success in being told they can do their ranking with the NRMP, but someone did say they were told their chances of matching to the program were better on the NMS osteopathic side. Given that "The AOA realizes the utility of the AOA match will decline. The AOA will encourage all programs to list with the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP, the allopathic match) once they receive initial accreditation, to expedite the transition between matches." as stated in the Single Accreditation Updates and Fall Convention/OMED Summary thread, I think this problem will be resolved by the next match, but we are stuck with "old system" still here in 2016.

I think I will call the dually-accredited program I am interviewing with and see how they plan to handle their match lists for osteopathic applicants.