The Thanksgiving Rule Revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you have not had any interview anywhere, tomorrow is a good day to give thanks for all the blessings of the past year. Then "Black Friday" is the time to be brutally honest with yourself and examine what it is about your application that made it a non-starter at the schools to which you applied and develop a strategy for improving your application for 2020 or 2021. Do give some consideration whether applying in 18 months is a better plan than applying 6 months from now which may be too little time to fix whatever can be fixed to improve your application.

And keep in mind, you are still a valuable and talented person, even if you haven't received an interview. It is your application that is lacking in some ways. You may be able to improve the application, or you may not be able to do so but that does not change the fact that you have gifts and talents that you can put to use to repair the world. Your job will be to figure out how to do that.
Giving this a bump for all of you who will have some awkward conversations around the table tomorrow.

Regardless of how the cycle has treated you, there is much to be thankful for this year. Find that attitude of gratitude and leave the plans for the future until Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 26 users
If I can't be a Pediatric Cardio-Oncologist Neurosurgeon, then what's this all been about? What have I been working toward?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would concur with not rushing a reapplication cycle, especially if your main concern is age.

I am curious how the thanksgiving rule applies in the world of the virtual cycle? I only know what this looks like on the MD/PhD side of things, but the vast majority of interview invites are coming within 2-5 weeks of the interview date. And for us, a full 30-40% of all interviews still will happen after January 1st (based on a calendar of all interviews provided by the AAMC, with about 60/80 programs participating). Even just today I got an interview for 2 weeks from now. About a third of the M1 MD/PhD students I know got the interview for the school they are attending in December or later.

What do you think? Is this attributable to the virtual format, differences in MD vs MD/PhD cycles, or both? Does this experience (most interviews being last minute/interviews extending into January and February) translate to the MD only cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
I am curious how the thanksgiving rule applies in the world of the virtual cycle? I only know what this looks like on the MD/PhD side of things, but the vast majority of interview invites are coming within 2-5 weeks of the interview date. And for us, a full 30-40% of all interviews still will happen after January 1st (based on a calendar of all interviews provided by the AAMC, with about 60/80 programs participating). Even just today I got an interview for 2 weeks from now. About a third of the M1 MD/PhD students I know got the interview for the school they are attending in December or later.

What do you think? Is this attributable to the virtual format, differences in MD vs MD/PhD cycles, or both? Does this experience (most interviews being last minute/interviews extending into January and February) translate to the MD only cycle?
The Thanksgiving Rule still applies, but it's important to understand what it is. It's not the clock striking midnight and us turning into pumpkins. It's a time for reflection for those who are having no success. Just about everyone acknowledges that IIs continue to go out, even though they are definitely starting to wind down. On the MD only side, some schools will be wrapping up in December, with most finishing in January and February and a few continuing into March (and beyond).

The "vast majority" of interviews being last minute is very subjective. Five weeks is a very decent lead time, and hardly last minute. Two weeks, not so much. In my limited experience this cycle, as well as my observations from the school specific forums, the "vast majority" of IIs are not, in fact, last minute.

Virtual interviews definitely allow more schools to schedule more interviews with little advance notice, and at least one adcom has stated that her school is doing just that in order to avoid the hassle of having to deal with later cancellations from people whose plans change many weeks after an interview is scheduled. Last minute scheduling was certainly much more difficult to do when people had to make travel plans well in advance to avoid last minute air and hotel pricing, as well as to schedule multiple days off in order to attend a single interview.

That said, there is no indication that virtual interviews are extending the actual cycle. Interviews are taking place as always. The protocols still call for all schools to have issued at least as many As as they have seats by 3/15. The PTE deadline is still 4/30 at most schools. It's just that some interviews at some schools are being scheduled closer to the interview date.

Does this change the Thanksgiving Rule? That depends on what you think it means. To me, it means nothing because I would not be doing anything any differently right now whether or not I have to reapply next year. For someone with no IIs who has not been productively engaged because they were counting on being accepted this cycle, the fact that a full 30-40% of MD/PhD interviews will happen after New Years Day probably should not cause them to relax. It is estimated that MD only interviews are around 75% done (meaning scheduled), but that is just an estimate that varies from less than 50% to over 90%, depending on the school.

Bottom line - it is far from over for everyone other than those who already have an A at their dream school, but people with zero IIs right now would be wise to be thinking about areas for potential improvement in case they need to reapply. THAT is what the Thanksgiving Rule is all about, and some schools scheduling some interviews closer to the date they will occur in a virtual cycle should not change anything for people with no success to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Giving this a bump for all of you who will have some awkward conversations around the table tomorrow.

Regardless of how the cycle has treated you, there is much to be thankful for this year. Find that attitude of gratitude and leave the plans for the future until Friday.
Hi LizzyM! To clarify, does this rule of thumb mean you're in a good place if you have at least one II by Thanksgiving? Or should you have three? I remember reading "Interview three, a doctor you will be".

• Wow
Hi LizzyM! To clarify, does this rule of thumb mean you're in a good place if you have at least one II by Thanksgiving? Or should you have three? I remember reading "Interview three, a doctor you will be".
Having at least one by Thanksgiving is better than having none at that point (a time to worry). Some people are admitted to med school without having had 3 interviews.... it only takes one if that interview turns into an offer. Breath a sigh of relief when you get your first interview and then focus on getting an offer by late February whether you have one chance to make that happen or seven.

I know this is an old thread but how does the thanksgiving rule change if at all DO vs MD? I have had 5 DO invites, attended three and have three acceptances, but it has been radio silence from MD schools.

I know this is an old thread but how does the thanksgiving rule change if at all DO vs MD? I have had 5 DO invites, attended three and have three acceptances, but it has been radio silence from MD schools.
So if you don’t get an II or A from a MD school will you go to one of the DO schools?

You have been admitted to medical school. If you are holding out for an MD interview invite, the Thanksgiving Rule suggests that you shouldn't worry until a month from now. Meanwhile, you can relax, in one respect, because next year you'll be going to medical school!!!

Reactions: 2 users
So if you don’t get an II or A from a MD school will you go to one of the DO schools?
Absolutely. My only reservation currently is that I am interested in urology and ENT which are statistically easier to match into as an MD, but I will happily take a DO acceptance.