The TV series Medical Mavericks(BBC>ABC TV in 2008).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonPrice

Mr Ron Price
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
TRANSFORMATION:cool:

In the TV series Medical Mavericks(BBC>ABC TV, 31 March 2008, 7/4/08, 14/4/08 and 21/4/08) I watched the transformation of medical knowledge in modern history by scientists who developed anaesthetics like ether and chloroform to put an end to pain in surgery. Pain free surgery became possible because some of these men became self-experimenters, human guinea-pigs to test their theories. Vaccines were also developed to cure rabies, typhoid, syphilis, yellow fever and polio—diseases which had killed millions.

I was reminded in the process, in my reflections on the content of this stimulating and inspiring television series, of a quotation from the book of Revelation, a quotations that went like this, in part: “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.”(21:4) These tears and this pain may have more to do with the end of spiritual death and that death’s attendant sorrow and pain by those who live by a new spiritual Law, who find inner meaning in new religious symbols thus replacing old and false theology and dead outward formalisms.-Ron Price with thanks to Robert Riggs, The Apocalypse Unsealed, Philosophical Library, NY, 1981, p. 252.

Breakthrough after breakthrough,
discovery after discovery, still it
was a long, sinuous and complex
story of drama and human tragedy,
understanding and knowledge
beginning, arguably, in that year,
mirabile dictu,1 1844 in dentists’
offices in Tasmania and Rhode
Island as millions of tears, much
pain and sorrow ended at long last.

But new pains and sorrows, tempests
and violence came into our world---
more than we had ever seen. It was,
in part, this, then, that was wiped away
from our eyes. Crying and a morbid
melancholy from some inward and
original pollution, some plague and
affliction, perhaps this was on the way
out as all things were being made new;
as some Alpha and Omega, some pure
water, some river as clear as crystal,
some fruit for the transformation of
tribulations into instruments of humanity’s
redemption...for sweet, as the bard once said,
are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad,
ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel
in his head; and this our life, exempt from human
haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running
brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.2

1 Latin expression meaning marvellous to relate, incredible, wondrous
2 William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene I.

Ron Price
11 July 2008

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this Ron Price or L. Ron Hubbard? :laugh:

There's a book called "Devils, Drugs, and Doctors" written in 1929 by a Dr. Haggard. It's interesting to read for three reasons.

First, it gives a nice account of the history of medicine.

Secondly, the author wrote at a time not too distant from some of the more exciting revolutions in medicine and some of the discredited practices still lingered. In a medical catalog from 1902 I was still able to find cupping devices, artificial leeches, and fleams for sale. Many of the medical instruments were still made with tortoise shell (and other organic material) handles, indicating that some doctors still hadn't adopted the concept of sterilization.

Third, it is interesting to juxtapose his attitude toward his forebears with our attitude toward Dr. Haggard and his peers of 80 years ago, and reflect on what our posterity will think of us.

Ahhh...thanks for the info. Since I do not watch TV series I am sometimes clueless. I thought the original post might be some end days religious nut case but there may be more to the post than meets the eye....

if you are referring to L Ron Hubbard's mission to get rid of psychiatry, i dont necessarily see that as a bad thing.

T

if you are referring to L Ron Hubbard's mission to get rid of psychiatry, i dont necessarily see that as a bad thing.

T

I was referring to the quasi-mystical nature of the original post. I was going to allude to Madame Blavatsky or Edgar Cayce but I figured Hubbard was better-known.

It has been more than 5 years since I was last at this thread. I write prose-poetry, and poetry is often difficult for people to understand. "Not to worry," as they say in Australia. Since the thread has taken some interest in psychiatry I'll post this link to some of my own story: https://www.google.com.au/#q=Ron Price BPD
-----------------------
I'll add a few words about scientology:

The month after Tom Cruise was born, in August 1962 at the age of 18, I began my life of pioneering-travelling for the Canadian Bahá'í community, first in Canada and then overseas in Australia. If you had told me in 1962 that I would be teaching in a university in 1976 I, too, would have grinned and would not have believed you. My academic rise was not in the same league as the rise of Tom Cruise, of course. I, too, was a sensitive and deeply religious youngster, but my religious sensibility took me in a different direction from that of this movie icon.

In 1990 Tom joined the Church of Scientology after experiencing a miracle cure for his dyslexia. By 2009 I had been a Bahá'í for 50 years, had experienced no miracle cures, at least none that I could put down to my religious beliefs, and had been on an old-age pension for five months. -Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 26 December 2009.

Last edited: