The "ugly duckling" of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miarx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find my footing in pharmacy for two years now, and no matter what I end up failing. I got this great fancy degree and for what exactly? To volunteer for two years post grad after passing my NAPLEX but failing the MPJE twice, then eventually when I did pass, I couldn't find a job. So instead of waiting around for things to happen I moved out of the country and still cant seem to pass that country's entry exams. Should I just call it quits after experiencing so many hiccups? And what do I move on to? What do I do? While pharmacy isn't exactly a passion of mine, I went to pharmacy school to be a pharmacist, nothing more, but since its seemingly unattainable, where do I go from here???

Members don't see this ad.

:cryi: Where have you been looking for jobs? There are always jobs in this country but you may have to move to the boonies. Any job is better than no job, especially since you can get your foot in the door and start obtaining "pharmacy experience." I know CVS is always hiring :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm... not sure if there are any openings for pharmacists, but you could always *try* to get a non-specific officer contract in the US Military. All of my knowledge is from the Enlisted side, so maybe someone here could chime in who has been down the Officer path.

Still, any job guaranteed for a few years would be better than no job right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any practice advice to give you but just know, you are not alone. The job market is rough and unfortunately, it is not going to get any better soon.

Do you still keep in contact with your classmates? How about your preceptors? They may be able to help.

There are always jobs for highly qualified workers. Employers have to pay $100k to hire a pharmacist and they need to make sure you will be worthy. I believe no matter what career you are going to, it will be the same picture you are facing now unless you change yourself to fit the market demand. I am sorry but this is the real world. Nobody is going to spend $100k a year to hire someone who can't do the job they are given. So, make yourself marketable. Pharmacy is still definitely better than many other careers out there. Do not lose hope. Review your pharmacy materials and apply to rural. You need experience to get a better job later. Sign up with staffing company, they may be able to help you to get the first job.

:cryi: Where have you been looking for jobs? There are always jobs in this country but you may have to move to the boonies. Any job is better than no job, especially since you can get your foot in the door and start obtaining "pharmacy experience." I know CVS is always hiring :D

I went to Pharmacy school on the east coast, got license there but decided to move to Texas because I figured big state = more jobs, which is true to some extent but guess what? Most companies want someone with experience! The one or two times a recruiter from a staffing company would contact me with a job offer, the employers declined based on a lack of experience. So I volunteer now so as to not have a gap in my resume but at the end of the day most don't see that as experience! I'm honestly at my wits end!

Have you tried to apply to rural area? Your biggest challenge is to get the first job to get experience.

Everywhere Texas! I'm thinking of getting licensed elsewhere once I get back to the US but I have no idea which states to look to. Right now, I just want to reinvent myself and try to use my degree in other ways, but how is the hardest part.

My advice is to apply everywhere that hires grad interns. They know you have less experience and you get to train before you become the pharmacist and will have the opportunity to take the MPJE after getting the job so it's not a waste.

There are always jobs for highly qualified workers. Employers have to pay $100k to hire a pharmacist and they need to make sure you will be worthy. I believe no matter what career you are going to, it will be the same picture you are facing now unless you change yourself to fit the market demand. I am sorry but this is the real world. Nobody is going to spend $100k a year to hire someone who can't do the job they are given. So, make yourself marketable. Pharmacy is still definitely better than many other careers out there. Do not lose hope. Review your pharmacy materials and apply to rural. You need experience to get a better job later. Sign up with staffing company, they may be able to help you to get the first job.

What makes you "highly qualified" besides your willing to work on an Indian reservation?

My advice is to apply everywhere that hires grad interns. They know you have less experience and you get to train before you become the pharmacist and will have the opportunity to take the MPJE after getting the job so it's not a waste.

Can I still do that 2 years post grad? I am a licensed pharmacist so how would that work?