The "under 25" rental car fee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dblue10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like some of you, I've had to rent a car for interviews at one point or another. Each time, the rental car company slaps on that $25+ fee per day if you're under 25 years old. Coupon websites do help lower the cost, and once Enterprise had a far cheaper fee compared to the other companies. Has anyone under 25 been satisfied with a specific company though? Or does anyone have any ideas to make this more affordable?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think thats pretty standard across the board because under 25 year olds are statistically much more of a liability than older drivers. I havent noticed more than a few dollars in difference company to company as far as that under 25 fee goes.

I think thats pretty standard across the board because under 25 year olds are statistically much more of a liability than older drivers. I havent noticed more than a few dollars in difference company to company as far as that under 25 fee goes.

Exactly. It's more a function of insurance costs rather than some companies being rude. I doubt you can (legally) avoid the fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. It's more a function of insurance costs rather than some companies being rude. I doubt you can (legally) avoid the fee.

Yeah, I figured that as well. I guess the time spent looking for discounts, etc is probably not worth the savings.

Like some of you, I've had to rent a car for interviews at one point or another. Each time, the rental car company slaps on that $25+ fee per day if you're under 25 years old. Coupon websites do help lower the cost, and once Enterprise had a far cheaper fee compared to the other companies. Has anyone under 25 been satisfied with a specific company though? Or does anyone have any ideas to make this more affordable?

Thanks!

Hertz waives the fee, but their price is still expensive.

The best deal I've found is through Hertz with CDP #1911795. This CDP is generic from many of their mailers, etc.

Highlights are that it gives a discount on the daily rate, waives the underage fee, and includes the LDW (insurance) if you classify the trip as "business" (vs leisure).

Priceline Name Your Own Price can be good otherwise, as the price you bid includes all fees (eg underage). No insurance is included here, but many credit cards offer some level of protection.

Hope this helps!

Many car rental companies that are near colleges/universities make a deal to waive the under 25 fee for students of that university. For example, the Budget car rental by my school completely waives the fee as long as you show your student ID when you reserve the car. And you can make a reservation there to pick up a car at another location (like across the country), and the fee will still be waived as long as the original reservation was made at the Budget near the university. Try checking with your school's transportation office - your school might have a similar arrangement with a rental car company.

The best deal I've found is through Hertz with CDP #1911795. This CDP is generic from many of their mailers, etc.

Highlights are that it gives a discount on the daily rate, waives the underage fee, and includes the LDW (insurance) if you classify the trip as "business" (vs leisure).

Priceline Name Your Own Price can be good otherwise, as the price you bid includes all fees (eg underage). No insurance is included here, but many credit cards offer some level of protection.

Hope this helps!

Many car rental companies that are near colleges/universities make a deal to waive the under 25 fee for students of that university. For example, the Budget car rental by my school completely waives the fee as long as you show your student ID when you reserve the car. And you can make a reservation there to pick up a car at another location (like across the country), and the fee will still be waived as long as the original reservation was made at the Budget near the university. Try checking with your school's transportation office - your school might have a similar arrangement with a rental car company.

Cool, thank you!

old bump... i know...but as interview season peaks around, it really sucks to be 24 lol...any new leads on how to get around this?

Make an account on USAA (you aren't even required to have family in the military) and book it through their website. Under 25 fee is waived and you dont have to pay for extra drivers. Also there is usually unlimited miles. Often doesn't work at airport locations though.