The value of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

How do adcoms view research if you weren't even put on a project?
This past summer, I had an invaluable research experience as part of a summer research program where I helped my PI with a project; I may even end up with a publication out of it.
I just started doing research at my school this semester, and so far, it's been pretty basic. I don't have a project of my own; it's basically just helping out around the lab with whatever needs to be helped out with. I don't even really have a clear grasp on what the lab is doing. I might try asking my PI at some point if I can have my own project, but how would adcomms view something like this?

To be honest, I'm not even that interested in the work my PI is doing. The stuff I did this past summer was so much cooler, but I couldn't find any research of that sort on campus. I do really like my PI; she is a great person and good professor. Her research is somewhat interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax. You're an undergrad and really you need to work your way up the totem pole before you can get those responsibilities. You gotta prove to the PI that you can do all the basic techniques in the lab, and then you'll get your own project. It may take a few months, maybe a semester or two, but it'll happen eventually if you work hard and show that you're interested in doing the work that she does. Adcoms know that your first couple months of research is just routine benchwork. That's why a semester or so of research usually isn't all that meaningful unless you're putting in tons of hours, or you get super lucky and get your name on a paper for getting the last pieces of data needed for it.

How do adcoms view research if you weren't even put on a project?
This past summer, I had an invaluable research experience as part of a summer research program where I helped my PI with a project; I may even end up with a publication out of it.
I just started doing research at my school this semester, and so far, it's been pretty basic. I don't have a project of my own; it's basically just helping out around the lab with whatever needs to be helped out with. I don't even really have a clear grasp on what the lab is doing. I might try asking my PI at some point if I can have my own project, but how would adcomms view something like this?

To be honest, I'm not even that interested in the work my PI is doing. The stuff I did this past summer was so much cooler, but I couldn't find any research of that sort on campus. I do really like my PI; she is a great person and good professor. Her research is somewhat interesting.

You got lucky over the summer and now you're getting a taste of what it's like for the majority of undergrads just starting research.

First step is to understand what's going on in the lab or to find a lab you're interested in before you can start thinking of getting your own project.

Reactions: 1 users