The verdict is out.... We're not needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have no problem with this since our jobs won't be eliminated completely til long after i'm gone. automation is the trend in every field - selfdriving cars, manufacturing. i'm sure the davinci robot will be autonomous in the nottoodistant future and i'm sure at the point it will be better than any human surgeon, at least for precision, if not decision-making.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no problem with this since our jobs won't be eliminated completely til long after i'm gone. automation is the trend in every field - selfdriving cars, manufacturing. i'm sure the davinci robot will be autonomous in the nottoodistant future and i'm sure at the point it will be better than any human surgeon, at least for precision, if not decision-making.

We cannot even get pumps that work properly in my hospital. We are far, far away from this thing.

Reactions: 5 users
These'll replace CRNAs, not anesthesiologists, most likely. The reason, from an administrator's perspective, is the same reason as having anesthesiologists oversee CRNAs to begin with- the machine may be cheap, but the liability can be enormous if something goes wrong. Having an anesthesiologist present gives you a liability sponge to shield your organization from the inevitable lawsuit when one of these anesthesia machines jams or things don't go as expected.

Reactions: 1 users
If all we did was titrate sedation to an EEG then I don't think we would need to go to med school. Let's see this thing assess risk for obstruction, estimate how long the surgeon will continue working and dose appropriate muscle relaxants, estimate which surgeon will lose how much blood, do a nerve block or run a code. This just looks like a tool that an anesthesiologist can use to maintain adequate sedation, I don't see it as much more than a self-titrating Alaris pump. Whoopee.

Reactions: 1 users
Once again this thing is more like an autopilot mode during maintenance of anesthesia. Their is more to what we do then vapor up vapor down. Im not worried.

Reactions: 2 users
That's the fairly common practice. The article makes it sound like GA would have killed the guy which is BS.

What is too high risk for general anesthesia? I'm not aware of any risk calculator for GA vs. MAC.

Last edited:
Look out. Washington post says anesthesiologists aren't needed! If the mainstream media says it, it MUST be true and not have any ulterior motives!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the "GOMERs don't die" principle, all doctors are useless, since the GOMERs ain't gonna die anyway.

I love machines like this...bring them on! I think it will actually make our pay go up - and our value.

Have you ever heard what a radiation oncologist does? They do nothing. Seriously....

Techs and machines do all of it. They pontificate, and talk to the patient, and make plans, and do orders. And do they make more than you and I? About 10 times more (perhaps not quit that much).

By the way, from the looks of the picture on this machine, MV is a little low, a-line needs adjusted, and patient needs warmed. It isn't doing very well. Good luck machine on fixing a finicky a-line.

By the way, from the looks of the picture on this machine, MV is a little low, a-line needs adjusted, and patient needs warmed. It isn't doing very well. Good luck machine on fixing a finicky a-line.

ERROR 404: A-line not found

Are you from the Northeast? That's one of the place where they forget the "to be" part of a sentence. I found this interesting when I lived there.