Theft and Pharmacist Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evaunit01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May and got a pharmacist job offer with Walgreens. The committee at headquarters looked at my criminal background check rejected my offer and I'm waiting to see if my supervisor can possibly let me slide still, my dean said he would talk to him on my behalf because I was upfront and kept close to him through the whole process. To be honest I literally had the job and lost it possibly here, I don't know what to do. I feel embarrassed that I might possibly graduate without a job. I've worked in retail and been through all of my APPE rotations, never stolen a single damn thing. Any advice?

I've heard about getting it expunged and applying to places that don't designate informing expungements but I don't have a clue as to what places have that specification. I don't understand how they didn't charge me with petty theft instead because theft alone sounds like is could be way worse. I don't know what kind of information they receive from the people who do the background checks also. I'm really afraid that I'll never have a job, especially when I was so persistent on narrowing what retail places I wanted to be at. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to break it to you bro, but theft is theft. You were the one that purposefully committed the crime and now you will have to pay the piper. No sane employer is going to hire someone charged with shoplifting. They will risk losing controlled substances and few people would want to take the chance.

It will be really hard to get a job unless you go for an independent and explain exactly what happened. Major chains and groceries will NOT hire you.

Arrested for shoplifting during your P3/P4 year? Damn, man. Gonna have a fight on your hands.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why the hell did you not get it expunged?

I had a stupid encounter with a jack-off police officer and got charged with "obstruction of official business" ie: a made up crime. But you better believe I crossed my t's and dotted my i's and went to the expungement meetings weekly for 6 weeks and all that crap for 1st time offenders. It is now gone. Forever. The only records are in my safety deposit box.

Why didn't you have a lawyer? The criminal justice system is not for upper middle class pharmacist WASPs, that why lawyers exist.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely a tough position, I don't know much about the expunging process but with a surplus of graduates fighting for the same jobs and all things considered equal, anything negative on your record will put you at the back of the employment pile.

I didn't get it expunged because my vice dean is a lawyer as well and he suggested not to right now. Some places can apparently see it regardless of an expungement if they ask if you've had one done at least. I am now calling lawyers to try and get it done. And I did hire a lawyer, he didn't do jack for me really, I was put on house arrest for 15 days and payed a fine. I originally went and pleaded guilty by myself because I truly didn't feel I caused that big of a problem, then I found and hired him.

• Haha
House arrest for 15 days because you admittedly shoplifted $30 worth of goods from a grocery store? Either you had the world's worst defense attorney or you're not telling us the truth. Nobody gets house arrest for shoplifting.

Reactions: 7 users
Okay......... Why would I lie for skewed opinions for a fake situation? That's what I got. This is why I'm using calling different lawyers for this expungement because I feel like that guy was a complete idiot and probably didn't try at all.

And I already said I feel like it should have been petty theft because I don't think that would have been a 1st degree misdemeanor in that case. I did a quick google search and it has to be something like over $500 to be theft. I don't know if they see the exact report when reviewing the background check, whether it says I stole a few food products or not? Walgreens said they mailed me a copy of the papers about 2 weeks ago and are now telling me if I didn't get them I have to contact the vendor myself.

I just spoke to a lawyer, he said petty theft and theft are the same thing. It could be 25 cents to like $900 it's still filed under the same thing, it isn't until after that the classifications become felonies

Last edited:
Too bad you can't sue yourself for punitive damages. . .

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nobody is going to hire someone to handle narcotics with theft charges WTF were you thinking?

If you cannot get it off your background check you are literally screwed. Try starting your own pharmacy.

How could you just get it off your record? What's the point of a record if not everything you do shows up?

How could you just get it off your record? What's the point of a record if not everything you do shows up?

Some places have expungement for first time offenders. This enables people to not have their life ruined for a shoplifting crime at age 21. Or a public intox/urination. Quite common to jump through the hoops at my college. I believe it was one class a week for 6 weeks. Pay a large fine/fee. And the record is expunged. I did have to report it to the state board and draft an explanation. But it has never come up in my career.

I 'know someone' who had their record sealed (not expunged) and it has never come up for their career. Didn't even have to report it to the board for licensure. So no, your life is not over and this will not end your career. Just get your record sealed or expunged. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd never hire you, whenever a single pill goes missing my first thought would always be it was you.

Well good thing you won't ever be in that position lol

I 'know someone' who had their record sealed (not expunged) and it has never come up for their career. Didn't even have to report it to the board for licensure. So no, your life is not over and this will not end your career. Just get your record sealed or expunged. Good luck! :luck:

I think it is pretty risky not reporting it to the board of pharmacy when you apply for licensure.

If I were in your shoe, I would be straight forward about it. You obviously made a mistake. Hiding it may be just as bad.

I think it is pretty risky not reporting it to the board of pharmacy when you apply for licensure.

If I were in your shoe, I would be straight forward about it. You obviously made a mistake. Hiding it may be just as bad.

It specifically says on the application not to include sealed or expunged records when it asks about criminal history. I do appreciate the concern though. :)

It specifically says on the application not to include sealed or expunged records when it asks about criminal history. I do appreciate the concern though. :)

Maybe in Florida but not in California: ;)

19. Have you ever been convicted of any crime in any state, the USA and its territories, military court or foreign country?

Check the box next to “YES” if, you have ever been convicted or plead guilty to any crime. “Conviction” includes a plea of no contest and any conviction that has been set aside or deferred pursuant to Sections 1210.1 or 1203.4 of the Penal Code, including infractions, misdemeanor, and felonies. You do not need to report a conviction for an infraction with a fine of less than $300 unless the infraction involved alcohol or controlled substances. You must, however, disclose any convictions in which you entered a plea of no contest and any convictions that were subsequently set aside pursuant or deferred pursuant to sections 1210.1 or 1203.4 of the Penal Code. Check the box next to “NO” if you have not been convicted of a crime.

You may wish to provide the following information in order to assist in the process of your application: 1) certified copies of the arresting agency report; 2) certified copies of the court documents; 3) and a descriptive explanation of the circumstances surrounding the conviction (i.e. dates and location of incident and all circumstances surrounding the incident.)

If documents were purged by the arresting agency and/or court, a letter of explanation from these agencies is required. Failure to disclose a disciplinary action or in the license being denied or revoked for falsifying the application. Attach additional sheets if necessary.

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf

So I officially was rejected from walgreens, I don't know why he had me hold on for 2 or so weeks as if there was a chance. I'm going to go ahead and apply to other jobs, I don't now how long it takes to get the expungement however.

Theres alot of states that require you to put any infractions just like California!

Fun fact I own my own pharmacy now, thanks for being so rude back then lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Is it still stealing if you steal from yourself?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

No you don’t... still making things up..

Theft and dishonesty - you can’t have one without the other.

Last edited:
Someone necro-bumped a thread to give an update? I love it!

Let's have a for realsies update though - link to your pharmacy's website? Or anything to prove you truly did overcome the odds, opened a thriving independent and just bought your second Urus despite all the doom and gloom in today's climate?

• Haha
I don't think asking the OP to post any sort of identifying information is the best response here.

I for one am glad they decided to post an update. And taking it at face value, it sounds like the OP actually followed through with some of the advice that was given.

Good job! How do you compete with the chains? If they have trouble profiting, how are you making out? Do you have a niche like compounds, medical supplies?

See this thread was the motivation you needed. You should thank the people that were rude to you.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Someone arrested for shoplifting is being dishonest about owning a business years later?! Color me shocked.

No you don’t... still making things up..

Theft and dishonesty - you can’t have one without the other.

exact kinda attitude as to why you’re gonna be stuck and miserable in corp retail working for someone else. Perfect username for you too.

Lol you loser nerd, likewise to those that liked his comment. Make sure you respond please. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Good job! How do you compete with the chains? If they have trouble profiting, how are you making out? Do you have a niche like compounds, medical supplies?
competing with chains is difficult. Patients still don’t see independent pharmacies the way they see a grocery store. And yea, I’m getting into a niche I’d rather not disclose lol. Thank you, and the rest who werent stupidly judgmental by the way.

I don't think asking the OP to post any sort of identifying information is the best response here.

I for one am glad they decided to post an update. And taking it at face value, it sounds like the OP actually followed through with some of the advice that was given.

revived bc I had a message from someone in a similar situation. Why would I want to give you all proof, a lot of miserable people that are being negative STILL years later. A trash profession because trash peers, not just the people above us. And sorry for the triple posts, on mobile. :)

No comment on the situation but here is the edited out information in case anyone was confused at the original post.
About a year ago I made a stupid decision of stealing some food from a grocery store while also purchasing some, I took about $30 maximum, don't remember the exact cost. I got caught, went along with them ad complied with everything they said. I got charged with theft (1st degree misdemeanor) instead of petty theft. It was a dumb thing to do and I regret it entirely obviously, first and last offense I've had.

I am really not sure why this was edited out.

exact kinda attitude as to why you’re gonna be stuck and miserable in corp retail working for someone else. Perfect username for you too.

Lol you loser nerd, likewise to those that liked his comment. Make sure you respond please. :)
All you've done is proven you work for a sketchy indy if they've allowed *you* to be the PIC and if they don't have a policies and procedures binder handy in the compliance files.

Here is the edited out information in case anyone was confused at the original post.

Ah, I see. I always wondered what the OP has done.

But anyways (not sure if OP is the owner AND PIC), for independent, one of my rotations was with an independent compounding pharmacy. The real good point about that store was that the owner (and PIC) does not deal with any sort of insurance. He could provide claim form for patients, but the fact that he did not have to deal with any insurance company seemed just..so nice.

But always, opening a new business sounds quite stressful. He actually bought the pharmacy from previous owners and they did have hard time when they started from scratch. They used to say that they had nothing to do for first few years until they had enough customers.

[There was a photo here, but I'm not quoting it because I want to give the OP a fighting chance to not deanonymize himself through extreme stupidity.]

revived bc I had a message from someone in a similar situation. Why would I want to give you all proof, a lot of miserable people that are being negative STILL years later. A trash profession because trash peers, not just the people above us. And sorry for the triple posts, on mobile. :)

Well, that's the question, isn't it? You should just live well, the best revenge and all of that.

And by the way, what I am about to write is friendly advice and speaking of we trash peers, trash professions, and being a loser nerd, you might want to take down that image before someone goes weaponized autism on you. Did you realize that your phone embeds in the metadata details the GPS coordinates, and someone writing about loser nerds like me know this intrinsically? I am not going to take what is the very easy bait to post the details, but you sure did not scrub this off the picture.

It's good that you gave up your life of crime. Even someone like me who is not CIGIE criminal investigator trained can trivially catch you out on this. For your sake, please take that photo down. Don't worry about a bunch of us losers, move on with your life and your practice. I'll just stay in this dumpster fire.

Thanks for that, but anyways have fun trying to dissect my life and bring up stuff I edited out lol. Still not at a CVS or something or on here being disgruntled a**** for 7 years

• Haha
Thanks for that, but anyways have fun trying to dissect my life and bring up stuff I edited out lol. Still not at a CVS or something or on here being disgruntled a**** for 7 years

For your sake and safety, I did withdraw some revealing information you sloppily put out on the forum that can be traced back to you. Should an employer (as many are on here) wish to revert back information that leads to you, you'd have some dier consequence revealing things you never should.

As for the revived thread, pitiful and leads to nowhere. Closing a thread that should've remained dead back in '15.

Status
Not open for further replies.