theft in dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerrydds06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here at UB it is getting pretty bad, people have "lost" articulators, loupes one guy even had a lab case vanish. I lock my stuff up but still my name stamp walked away from my desk , my NAME STAMP! what the hell is someone going to do with that.
Is is as bad or worse at your school?

Members don't see this ad.

It's been very good here as far as leaving stuff around.

Our study rooms have books stacked up everywhere and no one touches them. People even leave their laptops sitting out when they go to eat and stuff. But I don't leave anything out.

We leave everything out at UConn. I hear the occasioanl story of something being stolen, but I tend to think that's due to personal vendettas more than anything else. I've accidentally left out my handpieces among other items and, hours later, they were right where I left them in the back up lab.
kerrydds06 said:
here at UB it is getting pretty bad, people have "lost" articulators, loupes one guy even had a lab case vanish. I lock my stuff up but still my name stamp walked away from my desk , my NAME STAMP! what the hell is someone going to do with that.
Is is as bad or worse at your school?

Members don't see this ad :)
recently 3 maniken heads were stolen from the sim lab here.

Piss'es me off bec now the lab is not opened on the weekends for us to practice...It won't be pretty if I found out who took them!!!

Last semester, one of my classmates had their wallet stolen while working in gross lab. Also, some tool freshman stole $200 from the donation cup at a fundraising party held to help raise money for students to go to Haiti to help needy kids :mad: Mom and dad got him a lawyer and he still goes to our school.

flat4 said:
Last semester, one of my classmates had their wallet stolen while working in gross lab. Also, some tool freshman stole $200 from the donation cup at a fundraising party held to help raise money for students to go to Haiti to help needy kids :mad: Mom and dad got him a lawyer and he still goes to our school.

HAHAH...oh the drama that was Temple back in September, eh! I think all the upperclassmen put a bounty on that guy

Nothing like any of this at Arizona. Of course, we are a *small* campus and only have ~100 students in the dental program. Perhaps as we get bigger these things will occur, but I doubt that they will ever be common.

At Penn, I worry more about the patient pool stealing personal property rather than a fellow colleague. Nevertheless, articulators have been known to spontaneously generate legs. We do not purchase any of our own armamentarium (handpieces, operative set-ups, etc) so instruments are not really hot items. In Philadelphia, much like New York, you simply must be on guard and not let something of value lay unattended just in case!

BrianMSchwab said:
At Penn, I worry more about the patient pool stealing personal property rather than a fellow colleague. Nevertheless, articulators have been known to spontaneously generate legs. We do not purchase any of our own armamentarium (handpieces, operative set-ups, etc) so instruments are not really hot items. In Philadelphia, much like New York, you simply must be on guard and not let something of value lay unattended just in case!
I don't know what's worse. Having something stolen from a patient or a colleague.

flat4 said:
I don't know what's worse. Having something stolen from a patient or a colleague.

Totally Temple!!!!! :)