Thesis for MA in Applied/Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickeymouse93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that an MA in General Psychology is preferred if you wish to go onto a Clinical PhD, but does the subject area of your thesis matter? For example, my professor told me that I would have to do a thesis in either cognitive or developmental because they don't have any clinical psychologists who will supervise a thesis because they are in the Counseling track. So, does this matter? Would I still be competitive for clinical programs with a thesis in developmental or cognitive? I don't think this question has been asked on here before.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that an MA in General Psychology is preferred if you wish to go onto a Clinical PhD, but does the subject area of your thesis matter? For example, my professor told me that I would have to do a thesis in either cognitive or developmental because they don't have any clinical psychologists who will supervise a thesis because they are in the Counseling track. So, does this matter? Would I still be competitive for clinical programs with a thesis in developmental or cognitive? I don't think this question has been asked on here before.

Completing an empirical master's thesis will likely be a good way of showing and quantifying your research experience and ability. Just how useful this will be for you will likely depend on your research goals in clinical psychology. Do you plan on continuing on a developmental or cognitive approach within clinical psychology domain of choice? If so, your thesis will likely be more useful.

I don't see any situation where it would directly harm you, but if you are completing a child-focused developmental masters thesis, and your career goals are to study something unrelated in adults, you will likely need to explain why you have decided to make such a large shift in focus. At the very least you should be able to explain how your master's thesis experience will help inform your clinical research, either technically or conceptually.

From my observation, any research experience and display of research proficiency will help in the pursuit of a PhD, but some experience may be more useful than others depending on what you learn from it and how well it applies.

Completing an empirical master's thesis will likely be a good way of showing and quantifying your research experience and ability. Just how useful this will be for you will likely depend on your research goals in clinical psychology. Do you plan on continuing on a developmental or cognitive approach within clinical psychology domain of choice? If so, your thesis will likely be more useful.

I don't see any situation where it would directly harm you, but if you are completing a child-focused developmental masters thesis, and your career goals are to study something unrelated in adults, you will likely need to explain why you have decided to make such a large shift in focus. At the very least you should be able to explain how your master's thesis experience will help inform your clinical research, either technically or conceptually.

From my observation, any research experience and display of research proficiency will help in the pursuit of a PhD, but some experience may be more useful than others depending on what you learn from it and how well it applies.
Thank you for your reply. I would like to research adults with personality disorders, so my thesis would be completely irrelevant. Is it still worth my time and money?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind explaining more about your situation/goals, I am a little confused. Are you currently in a masters program in experimental psychology?

Would you mind explaining more about your situation/goals, I am a little confused. Are you currently in a masters program in experimental psychology?
No. I am graduating in the fall. My goal is to become a clinical psychologist, work at a psychiatric hospital, and treat/research personality disorders in adults.

No. I am graduating in the fall. My goal is to become a clinical psychologist, work at a psychiatric hospital, and treat/research personality disorders in adults.

If you're not in a masters program yet, you might consider applying to work as a research assistant instead of a masters. My impression is that in most cases it is more helpful than a masters at showing you can do research...and you get paid.

If you're not in a masters program yet, you might consider applying to work as a research assistant instead of a masters. My impression is that in most cases it is more helpful than a masters at showing you can do research...and you get paid.
Where can I find a position like that?

If there are any university/teaching hospitals in your area, search their website for jobs/employment section. You could also search in the major employment web sites for the term research assistant. Sites like monster.com, simplyhired.com, indeed.com

Last edited:
If there are any university/teaching hospitals in your area, search their website for jobs/employment section. You could also search in the major employment web sites for the term research assistant. Sites like monster.com, simplyhired.com, indeed.com
Unfortunately, there are no research assistant positions in my area. My research experience consists of two labs; two semesters in each, one poster presentation, and an honor's thesis. 3.5 undergrad GPA, 3.7 psych GPA. GPA would be higher but I got a C in Intermediate Algebra (I know this looks horrible, but I got a B in College Algebra and an A in Stats) and some random elective my adviser convinced me to take (after that I've only taken psych electives). Over 500 hours of crisis hotline. Will be taking the GRE this summer, but I am expecting a very high score in verbal and hopefully, at least, an average score in quantitative. Does it sound like I am competitive enough for a clinical/counseling PhD?

Unfortunately, there are no research assistant positions in my area. My research experience consists of two labs; two semesters in each, one poster presentation, and an honor's thesis. 3.5 undergrad GPA, 3.7 psych GPA. GPA would be higher but I got a C in Intermediate Algebra (I know this looks horrible, but I got a B in College Algebra and an A in Stats) and some random elective my adviser convinced me to take (after that I've only taken psych electives). Over 500 hours of crisis hotline. Will be taking the GRE this summer, but I am expecting a very high score in verbal and hopefully, at least, an average score in quantitative. Does it sound like I am competitive enough for a clinical/counseling PhD?

Do your best to rock both sections of the GRE. Apply widely. Get a clinical psychology professor to look over your statement of interest. If you do these things, you'll definitely have a shot and I'd be surprised if you didn't get in somewhere reputable.

Do your best to rock both sections of the GRE. Apply widely. Get a clinical psychology professor to look over your statement of interest. If you do these things, you'll definitely have a shot and I'd be surprised if you didn't get in somewhere reputable.
That's really good to hear. Thank you!