Things from undergrad matter when applying to jobs or residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We probably all heard that when applying to dental schools, anything from high school and before was old news, therefore unless something from high school was really of substantial merit, you left it off of your dental school application. When it comes time to apply for jobs and residencies after dental school, would the same be said about things from undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

We probably all heard that when applying to dental schools, anything from high school and before was old news, therefore unless something from high school was really of substantial merit, you left it off of your dental school application. When it comes time to apply for jobs and residencies after dental school, would the same be said about things from undergrad?

I applied for endo this past cycle. I had a high undergrad GPA from a reputable school and the director of the program I accepted at mentioned this during the interview. Dental school GPA matters a lot more though obviously. If you do really well in D-school and did not have stellar undergrad grades, I doubt that hurts you. I also heard Tufts asks for old DAT scores.

By the way, no employer will look at your grades :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for endo this past cycle. I had a high undergrad GPA from a reputable school and the director of the program I accepted at mentioned this during the interview. Dental school GPA matters a lot more though obviously. If you do really well in D-school and did not have stellar undergrad grades, I doubt that hurts you. I also heard Tufts asks for old DAT scores.
Yea, similar experience. Played a sport in college and couple directors asked me about it. Also were interested in the undergrad I went to. A lot of programs look for well rounded, smart individuals, who work well with others. Sometimes college experiences reflect this better. So if you have things from undergrad that help show this, make sure to mention it.

Academic experience is one thing. Work/Employment experience is another thing.
If you have any kind of job working with the public be sure to present it.
I wish I could find more young dentists with real job experience. My best first year dentist have worked as waitresses, life guards, at McDonald's, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Academic experience is one thing. Work/Employment experience is another thing.
If you have any kind of job working with the public be sure to present it.
I wish I could find more young dentists with real job experience. My best first year dentist have worked as waitresses, life guards, at McDonald's, etc.
This!

My resume includes working at a dairy department in a grocery store (those cold freezers sucked!), laundromat (I collected quarters), call center (taking BS from Verizon customers), and few other odd jobs... I became “Thanos” at chairside with patients after dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
So then in dental school, if you have both a GPA and a class rank, does class rank trump everything? Like I heard from upperclassmen at my school that after first year, literally a single B on your transcript can drop your class rank by almost a third of the class size. And I see program requirements that say something like they want to see at least a 3.0 GPA, but also that you will not be considered if you do not rank within the top 20% of your class.

So then in dental school, if you have both a GPA and a class rank, does class rank trump everything? Like I heard from upperclassmen at my school that after first year, literally a single B on your transcript can drop your class rank by almost a third of the class size. And I see program requirements that say something like they want to see at least a 3.0 GPA, but also that you will not be considered if you do not rank within the top 20% of your class.
Yes, class rank is more important