Things you wish you'd known

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonedrone14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we get closer to September, rather than making a thread asking for the "top" programs to apply to, I was hoping we could get some guidance from current residents and sttendings about things that are and aren't so important to consider in where you apply. I know for med school I was all jazzed up about team based learning and the other"it" types of learning, and if I were to advise myself from 4 years ago I'd be looking for slightly different things.

So, for anyone who wouldn't mind taking the time:

-what are the things you looked for in your residency selection?

-do you feel the things you were looking for as an ms4 were relevant to finding a good psychiatry residency?

-what are the things you wish you had known to look for?

-if you could advise your past 4th year self, what would you say in regards to program selection?

+ anything else youmight feel is rrelevant. I know that people have different interests and are looking for different things, so maybe qualify your answer with your pgy year and what your ultimate goals are so we have a frame of reference.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished residency and had an amazing time. Looking back to when I was applying to programs (which truly doesn’t seem that long ago), here is the specific advice that I think would have been useful:

Do some navel gazing and create your own calculus

Reading threads like this can be helpful for getting the ideas of others, but don’t try to incorporate what others look for in a program. Sit down and do some self-analysis, figure out what’s important to you and only you (and SO, if applicable). And don’t feel bad if your criteria is unlike others. It should be, dammit. You’re different as well.

Strike this from your lips: “I want to go to a top program…” No. Think harder. What are you really saying? Do you want to go to a research powerhouse? Why? If it’s not to do research, think again. Is it that you really want to have the ego stroke of saying a name people are impressed with? If that’s your cup of tea, that’s fine. Put Harvard Southshore waaaaay above a program like University of Washington. Heck, University of Notre Dame will really impress people, and they don’t even have a residency. Do you want to get great training? You don't need a top program for this. Be specific.

“Top program” is like saying “most beautiful person.” It’s really in the eyes of the beholder and is really a matter of taste. Decide the things you want and then prioritize the things you want. After that, recognize that some of the things you want will come at the expense of other things you want.

Personal example, here’s what I wanted in a program:
  • Top notch county experience working with the underserved.
  • Good exposure to veteran’s mental health. Not just a VA experience (which vary wildly), but a VA experience that is evidence-based, education-focused, and providing top care to the vets (this is a very personal thing for me)
  • Academic program that a big enough name that I’d see lots of zebras and not just horses and potentially carve out a niche for myself
  • Lots of fellowships so I could develop specialized skillets in some, maybe even go into fellowship
  • Good location with lots to do in my off time
  • Near a big body of water. Not important to everyone, but I get itchy if I'm away from that.
  • Easy enough schedule that I’d have lots of time to pursue hobbies
I applied to programs that would scratch as many of those itches as possible. I actually found one that satisfied most of them. In fact it satisfied all of them, except for the last bullet point. Because it had all these things, it required a lot of hard work to take advantage of them. So I worked long and hard (much self-imposed, like doing the Chief thing). But I had the option of choosing a program with less work at the expense of missing out the VA experience I wanted and less of the county thing. I chose to sacrifice the easy schedule instead.

Had I gone with someone else's calculus of what to look for in a program I undoubtedly would have been less happy. I might have ended up in a more prestigious program, but really, it doesn't matter. Mine was a lot of hard work, I learned a ton, made some amazing connections, and am pretty well set up for the career I wanted. It's prestige matters only in its strengths that gave it the prestige that overlap with my interests. But I'm only as happy as I am because I went with my yardstick instead of someone else's. I encourage you all to do the same.

I don't post on SDN as much as I used to for a variety of reasons. I'm happy to help applicants when they are looking for programs to apply for however I can, but I can't really say what they should look for. It's so personalized. Plenty of folks will have advice like looking for research, funding, easy call, county experience, lots of therapy, etc. But it's really like asking whether you should prefer blonds or brunettes. Or whatever the female equivalent would be. Ripped vs. Dadbods? Is that still a thing? With my diet I hope so...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Question to add to the pile: I'm a very strong candidate, outside of CA schools (where I have no ties) I probably have an excellent chance everywhere. My home program is great though nobody would mention it as a "top program," (Doximity has it in the top 20 FWIW) and more importantly it has the balance and some of the exposure I want - lots of therapy, zebras, volume, county, stim (this is questionable). It's a good place to live, maybe not my ideal but will fulfill many of my recreational and financial goals for residency. I also know what this program is lacking (more education-focused faculty, too much VA, better private hospital experience). Some of those things bother me a lot, others not as much. In general though, I'm in a very good place at a program where I have mentors who want to help me, I know how to get around or manage the problems I have, and I can see career opportunities and specific paths aplenty in this city. I just don't know how much of this is my aversion to trying someplace new. I'm worried I'm "settling" which is stupid because as I read what I wrote, I know that's not the case but there's a feeling in the back of my mind I'm just trying to shake (rTMS?).

So my questions: Were any of you also afraid of or just anxious about the prospect of going someplace new for residency, and how did this play out during the interview and match process? Those of you who didn't think you'd want to leave your home base but did - was there a moment on your interview trail where you realized Program X was just so right for you and the city was a place you'd really be happy that things just clicked, or was it that you ranked a reach/dream school higher and managed to match there, or did you force yourself to rank Program X higher than your home program reluctantly because of factors like prestige and a fear that you were "settling"? Or did any of you, especially if you feel you were a really qualified candidate, rank your "less prestigious" home institution higher than other places, and how do you feel about that now? Do these things just happen to sort themselves out in a pretty obvious way by the time you submit your rank list and I'm just anxious now because things haven't started yet?

Also I'm questioning whether it would be better to "suck it up" and go someplace where I may not be as comfortable right away and come back to this city with that brand name and set up my career afterward.

FWIW I'm not married right now so it's not an SO/family holding me to one place. I think that's a perfectly fine reason to do this. I'm single so I guess I feel "obligated" to keep moving about and seeking out "top" opportunities.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good exposure to veteran’s mental health. Not just a VA experience (which vary wildly), but a VA experience that is evidence-based, education-focused, and providing top care to the vets (this is a very personal thing for me)

What are some California programs with good training in veterans mental health? They all say they have "VA experience" but I'd love to get good training for veteran specific mental health issues.

Some attendings don't know what they're doing.

If you see someone with borderline PD and on 6 meds (an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer, an antipsychotic, a sleep med, benztropine, and a sleep med) that attending that prescribed this regimen probably doesn't know what they're doing.

Some attendings intentionally misdiagnose and tell you it's okay. It's not. I wish I could tell you to slap them but you'd get in trouble.

Diagnosis is not a touchy-feely algorithm. You should try to make it as specific as possible. If someone likes a TV show and feels bad because he missed an episode doesn't mean he has OCD. Just because something's outside a cultural norm doesn't make it pathology.

You're a resident. You'll see many attendings. Just because they're an attending doesn't make them the best thing in the universe. Many attendings are those med-students you thought never would be good doctors that happened to graduate and make it to this point. You will, however, have to grin and bear it cause you will have to take their orders. Make sure you figure out who the good ones are and try to learn and emulate them. As for the others, learn from them by trying to be a better physician than them.

OK this is if you go to a program where there aren't so many good attendings.

Now if you do happen to go to a program with great attendings, prepare to get your bubble popped when you work in the real world, and while you're treating your patients Dr. X in the unit just next to yours is giving every benzos up the wazzoo, intentionally not requesting for court-ordered medications on very sick psychotic patients cause he doesn't feel like spending 10 minutes doing it (so these patients end up being psychotic for months without treatment) all the while making the same exact amount of money as he is.

I've been in both extremes. I did residency in a program where about 2/3 of the attendings weren't that great. Did fellowship with a PD and attendings that were some of the best in the world.

Reactions: 2 users