Think i have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurgeon2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a Sophomore majoring in Chemistry. I just receive academic dishonesty for my psych class. I took it online and my videos couldn't be seen so i was granted that. Long story but I'm stuck with it. I'm scared that i won't get into medical school or have a chance anymore. This class wasn't for my major, it was a side class and when i graduate I'll have at least a 3.0 in my major. i'm also doing 2 minors for sure - biomedical physics and mathematics. im debating on a biology minor right now. I'm not sure if a should do a masters then apply for medical school. Maybe that will overlook academic dishonesty. I know that the application have 15 things for me to state and i will have the volunteering and shadowing. I will also have research and 3 progressive health care jobs on it (Pharmacy technician, EMT, phlebotomist). I really wanna be a surgeon, its what I've dreamed of since i was little. Do i still have a shot at medical school? Think i should do a masters and then apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Academic dishonesty citations hurt ones chance at medical school pretty badly. Reason being that nobody wants their doctor cheating on the rules while treating them. So my suggestion would be to start a group that educates people on the "bad side" of cheating. Work with the administration to prevent it in classrooms etc. Etc.

Your GPA of 3.0 is likely to be too low. You are only a Sophomore, if you spend a couple of years with a 4.0 you will get it high enough to be acceptable. If Chemistry is too hard to achieve that then switch majors. A masters degree will not disguise a poore undergraduate record because it is easier to get good grades in a masters degree than in undergrad.

My advice distilled:
1. Start anti-cheating club
2. Pull GPA up by your bootstraps
3. Take the MCAT and prepare well and get above 90th percentile
4. Go to med school

Reactions: 1 users
Academic dishonesty citations hurt ones chance at medical school pretty badly. Reason being that nobody wants their doctor cheating on the rules while treating them. So my suggestion would be to start a group that educates people on the "bad side" of cheating. Work with the administration to prevent it in classrooms etc. Etc.

Your GPA of 3.0 is likely to be too low. You are only a Sophomore, if you spend a couple of years with a 4.0 you will get it high enough to be acceptable. If Chemistry is too hard to achieve that then switch majors. A masters degree will not disguise a poore undergraduate record because it is easier to get good grades in a masters degree than in undergrad.

My advice distilled:
1. Start anti-cheating club
2. Pull GPA up by your bootstraps
3. Take the MCAT and prepare well and get above 90th percentile
4. Go to med school

Excellent advice, especially #1.