Thinking about Dentistry, would I be considered "in the running"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I am a senior this year taking a gap year. I have been shadowing many health professions and have taken an interest in dentistry.

I am not sure how competitive I would be. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.0 science GPA. I believe I have all of my pre recs taken care of with the exception of anatomy. I have not taken any admissions test: DAT, MCAT, PCAT, etc. at this time. I have a fair amount of Extra stuff: Lots of volunteering at a health and dental clinic, two years of undergrad research, summer of research at a medical school, and even tutoring.

I also think that I have a superb letter lined up, the dentist I shadowed really helped me to see passion behind this profession.

So my questions if you don't mind me asking:

1) Are my GPAs good enough to at least get me to the interview stage? Are they even on the lower end of acceptable?

2) If my GPAs are good enough, What DAT score should I shoot for to offset the lower GPA?

3) If my GPAs are too low, are there special masters programs with guaranteed admissions to dental schools like medical schools?

4) What would be good DAT practice?

5) Overall, how do you think my chances would be?

I appreciate any feedback anyone could give! Thank you so much for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Your GPA is definitely below-average. But normally from what i hear the cut-off for being eligible for dental school is a 3.0 or better GPA. If you have a very strong DAT score, I would say you could get in, if you apply to a lot of schools.
2) I would say ideally, a 22+ on the AA and TS scores.
3) Idk
4) DAT destroyer, Topscore, Cliff AP Bio book, Crack DAT PAT.
5) Your chances aren't impossible, but not for-certain either. If you can rock the DAT, write a kickass personal statement, apply to many schools, and get 3 great letters of rec from (bio, chem, dentist) professors (usually) you can offset the GPA.

edit: Also I would creep through this thread... although people who post in this thread usually post only good news, it shows there IS hope.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-under-3-0-club-part-02.362708/page-33#post-14848014

1) Are my GPAs good enough to at least get me to the interview stage? Are they even on the lower end of acceptable?

2) If my GPAs are good enough, What DAT score should I shoot for to offset the lower GPA?

3) If my GPAs are too low, are there special masters programs with guaranteed admissions to dental schools like medical schools?

1) It is possible, if you applied broadly, Science GPA is on the low end.

2) Aim for a high DAT, it is hard to put an exact number on it but I'd say 22+.

3) Sorta, doing well in a SMP will generally get you some interviews. As for specific linkage programs, I think there are a couple (Nova/Barry)?

4) Take a look at some breakdowns: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ultimate-breakdown-collection-la-datelisse.992975/

5) In that range, its very hard to predict what will happen, you can improve your chances with a high DAT and you said you have great ECs which should help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everybody,

I am a senior this year taking a gap year. I have been shadowing many health professions and have taken an interest in dentistry.

I am not sure how competitive I would be. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.0 science GPA. I believe I have all of my pre recs taken care of with the exception of anatomy. I have not taken any admissions test: DAT, MCAT, PCAT, etc. at this time. I have a fair amount of Extra stuff: Lots of volunteering at a health and dental clinic, two years of undergrad research, summer of research at a medical school, and even tutoring.

I also think that I have a superb letter lined up, the dentist I shadowed really helped me to see passion behind this profession.

So my questions if you don't mind me asking:

1) Your overall is slightly below avg but its fine. However your science GPA may give you some problems, most schools dont like it when any of your GPAs are below 3.2.

2) Getting a 21AA or higher and scoring higher than a 19 in every section will make your application notably more attractive to schools.

3) Your GPA isnt so horrible that you need a masters. Go back to undergrad (tell them you want to get a 2nd degree, you dont have to get one) and take only science courses. As many science classes as you can and try to get straight "A"s. Doing this will make your sciGPA jump up quick and your overall will increase too.

4) Check out my DAT breakdown in my signature below. Also check out the breakdown of other people who scored very high.

5) Without your DAT scores its difficult to say. If you score a 21AA and apply broadly then Id say you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. Take the DAT and after if youre still unsure of your chances you could ask us again.

Thanks everybody for the responses!

Couple quick questions about science GPA:

Do dental schools count math classes? What about other sciences like nutrition?

If that is the case, my science GPA is around the 2.9 mark.

Edit: Also, do Dental schools do grade replacement?

Also, I only have about 40 credits of science so far. I calculated and 15 credits of all As or A-s would put me at the 3.2 mark. Is that the supposed "cutoff" for a majority of schools?

Also, does having a state school mean much? Are there breakdowns of schools into "tiers"? If so, which are lower tiered ones that I could be looking at?

http://www.adea.org/AADSAS/GradePointAverages.html

Math and nutrition will likely fall under the Other Science category of GPA calculation.

No to grade replacement, all grades are counted.

If you apply broadly, you generally want to apply to your state school(s), out of state schools with higher population of OOS students and private schools (they don't care).

Wanted to bump this thread.

I managed to get my science GPA up to a 3.1. I am worried that it might not be enough

Would you guys recommend a Special Master's Program? Do you know any off the top of your heads that offer automatic acceptance with a certain GPA?