Thinking about waiting a year to apply - gah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glasscandie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After all my hard work, internships, doing a 4 year degree in 3 years, and juggling family, I'm about to jump off the deep end and think about applying for fall 2011 instead of fall 2010. :eek: I finally reach my target and then push it back some more lol

The main reason is my daughter - I've been doing this f/t internship at NIH over the summer, and I honestly am having problems with leaving her for so long (she's only 3 1/2). The internship is only 8 weeks in total, and then 10-15 hours/week in the fall, so now I'm thinking to myself - do I really want to rush into grad. school, which will be way more than f/t hours. Also, my daughter has a speech delay due to a whole series of complications when she was an infant, and I'm afraid that she wouldn't do well in a bigger daycare setting for full time hours, right now she is in an in-home daycare with only 4 other kids. Another consideration, too, is that in Maryland the cut-off for kindergarten is September 1st, which hugely messes up my plans b/c when I started preparing for grad. school I assumed she'd be going into kindergarten when I started my first year in fall 2010, but now as it stands she wouldn't start until fall 2011.

Gah. Anyway, I think it's the best decision for my family. It would give me a year to take some graduate classes - my graduating GPA will probably be around 3.5 or 3.6, and my GRE scores aren't anything fantastic (~1200, I haven't taken them yet but I'm consistently scoring in that range), so grad. classes might be a good idea to prove I could do the work. I wish there were more stats on the GRE, b/c I'd total rock that quant. section if there were! My saving grace is my research experience, the researchers I've been contacting have been really interested in the research I've done.

Now I'm wondering if I should contact the researchers who seemed particularly interested in my application (e.g. one researcher I met with a few weeks ago said he'd love to have me in the lab and would be looking for my app.; another is a researcher who has 2 grad. students at the Hopkins lab I was at and knows I was applying for 2010). Do you think I should, or just leave it be and they'll see my application next fall? Any advice for taking a year off, besides the grad. classes? I may or may not have to work p/t next year if I don't apply, it depends what kind of job my husband gets (he's getting out of the military in March and applying for both federal and contracting jobs, which have drastically different salaries), so if I did I assume I could get a job at Hopkins, where I was interning last year.

Sorry for the book, I haven't posted for awhile on here and I've pretty much been coming to the decision to hold off for a year in the past few weeks and just had to let off some steam lol I did a little mourning in the process, I finally see my finish line and now I have to back away from it a little bit - but like I said, it's the best thing for my family, and I can't put myself ahead of my daughter.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I don't have any specific advice, but I think you're making a good decision by waiting a year. I think it will be easier for all of you when your daughter is a bit older and more settled in school. I know it's frustrating to put off your timetable, but I think you'll be thankful in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you perhaps apply this cycle and then defer for a year, actually enrolling in Fall 2011?

That had been a thought of mine but I couldn't get any definitive answers about which programs gave deferals. Most said it depends on the circumstances, so it wouldn't automatically mean I could - and also I wouldn't want to waste a researchers time when I know pretty definitely I wouldn't be able to attend for fall 2010, kwim?

Just wanted to say I commiserate with the '2010 or 2011'? dilemma, and it's killing me! I graduated this past spring and have been applying for jobs like crazy with no luck. PsyD programs generally want to see at least a year of some sort of clinical experience, so I am now facing the hard fact that if I don't have a job by September, which is fast approaching, I don't go to school in 2010. Yikes. 2011 seems so far away, although it's really not... I'm just not comfortable with all this time out of school! I wish you the best of luck!!

It might not even be practical to go for 2010. The majority of jobs will probably require you to stay for at least 2 years. Additionally, you would probably want a LOR from the site you are working at, and if you come in expecting to leave a year from then (with only 3 months to write your LOR) it might not be a solid letter. If this isn't an issue, then forget what I said.

Just wanted to say I commiserate with the '2010 or 2011'? dilemma, and it's killing me! I graduated this past spring and have been applying for jobs like crazy with no luck. PsyD programs generally want to see at least a year of some sort of clinical experience, so I am now facing the hard fact that if I don't have a job by September, which is fast approaching, I don't go to school in 2010. Yikes. 2011 seems so far away, although it's really not... I'm just not comfortable with all this time out of school! I wish you the best of luck!!

Sorry for the book, I haven't posted for awhile on here and I've pretty much been coming to the decision to hold off for a year in the past few weeks and just had to let off some steam lol I did a little mourning in the process, I finally see my finish line and now I have to back away from it a little bit - but like I said, it's the best thing for my family, and I can't put myself ahead of my daughter.

It definitely sounds like you're making the right choice and that you've given the matter a lot of careful thought! Your daughter is lucky to have you around!

Re: contacting professors... I would say it depends on the level of contact you've had with them. Definitely for the one who will be looking for your app you should consider giving him a heads-up and reiterate your interest in the program for the coming years. I'm not sure about the other programs/correspondences you've been having...

One thing I would definitely say is that you might want to find some pursuit that will keep your head in the game (in addition to classes, maybe volunteer work, even writing up an article on your own). The job at Hopkins sounds great-- I'm sure with your qualifications you'll have no problem picking up some p/t work on the side.