Thinking of becoming an SLP or Audiologist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNfutureAuD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a very tricky situation that I am in and I wanted some other people's perspective. I am currently an undergraduate senior and am finishing my bachelors in Asian Studies. It's just recently that i've been considering going to graduate school to become an SPL or possibly an Audiologist (particularly in pediatrics). Because I have no background in the sciences or communication disorders I was wondering what sort of chance people thought I would have getting into a program for either path. My GPA is currently a 3.0 but I plan to raise it greatly during my last year, and will soon be taking the GRE.

Also, aside from graduate school, I was wondering what the general day would look like for an SLP? I love working with kids, and have helped tutor in phonetics before, but felt like I was brining home the work by worrying what kind of "game" or work I would do with them the next day. Do any SLP's feel like they have to bring the work home with them, or not?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a very tricky situation that I am in and I wanted some other people's perspective. I am currently an undergraduate senior and am finishing my bachelors in Asian Studies. It's just recently that i've been considering going to graduate school to become an SPL or possibly an Audiologist (particularly in pediatrics). Because I have no background in the sciences or communication disorders I was wondering what sort of chance people thought I would have getting into a program for either path. My GPA is currently a 3.0 but I plan to raise it greatly during my last year, and will soon be taking the GRE.

Also, aside from graduate school, I was wondering what the general day would look like for an SLP? I love working with kids, and have helped tutor in phonetics before, but felt like I was brining home the work by worrying what kind of "game" or work I would do with them the next day. Do any SLP's feel like they have to bring the work home with them, or not?

There are many SLP programs that accept students who do not have a background in the field. MGH Institute and Emerson College are two programs in Boston that I am familiar with, which are particularly "friendly" to students with degrees in other fields. You can begin to familiarize yourself with programs by checking out the grad school listings here: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Masters/MastersSearch.aspx Most programs tell applicants that a GRE score over 1100 is good.

It's hard to describe a typical day for an SLP as they work in many different settings. I strongly recommend shadowing a few SLPs over the next year to get a sense of what a day is like and how it can be different depending on the setting. Here is more info on employment settings of SLPs and AuDs: http://www.asha.org/careers/professions/EmploymentSettings.htm

Creating lesson/treatment plans is a skill we are taught in grad school. I was very worried about what toys and games my clients would enjoy during my first semester of grad school, but it gets much easier over time. We learn that it's less about the game and more about behavioral objectives. However, I think the amount of work one brings home really depends on many factors such as setting (my feeling is those who work in hospitals rarely take work home and it might be more likely for those who work in schools), case loads (again this varies by setting and school district), and the populations one treats.

Thank you so much for all the information! I'll start looking up those sites you gave me ASAP, as well as find out if I can shadow anyone soon....

Members don't see this ad :)
I love SLP. I agree that it is important to think about what your typical day will be like, but you obviously are more interested in the people you could help otherwise you would just get a degree in something that makes a lot more money.
Here is a great documentary about some of the real problems you can help people overcome as an slp. It is really amazing how much you can do, and how many different age groups and types of people you can work with. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jqQmIQ8FY

I love SLP. I agree that it is important to think but you obviously are more interested in the people you could help otherwise you would just get a degree in something that makes a lot more money.

This is a common statement that I always find absolutely hilarious. For two reasons. First, short of a medical degree, what degree would you go and get that makes "a lot more money"? People think that there are degrees that are available to most people that give incredible salaries. There are not, save perhaps certain IT degrees or Math degrees that could push you to six figures eventually. But I don't consider that a lot more money. You can make six figures as an SLP as well, if you are smart about it and want it. So what are these magical fields? Law? For 98% of graduates, no. Accounting? For 98% of graduates, no. MBA? For 99% of graduates, no, unless you are Ivy league. Engineering? for 98%, no. And those are considered highly skilled fields. God forbid you want to do anything less skilled.

This field makes a middle class salary, like almost every other labor position that is hired for in this country. If you want to make a "lot" of money, by merit of your hard work and not any special ability that predicts that you will be a top surgeon or be able to get into a top business school , then go into business for yourself. But most people fail at that.

I am being a little aggressive about this because this is a common statement that is used to unfairly judge a persons motivations for being in a field, even though the poster does not use it in this context. I am not attacking the poster, but this common sentiment.

Money is a perfectly valid reason to be in this field, as in rehab you will make more than is average for most people to make in this country. Also, perhaps you will get a glimmer of satisfaction instead of busting your ass in a cubicle as an accountant, or as an overworked toiletlaw attorney, with no hope of satisfaction and the same pay as an SLP for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
just a little post about taking work home....that goes for any job, not just SLP. It completely depends on the person. My GF is an SLP. When we first met a year ago she'd always bring work home and spend 1-2 hrs on it every night. Now, I can't even remember the last time she brought work home. It just depends on who you are and what your priorities in life are. Do you work to live or do you live to work?