Third time applying with GPA 3.7 MCAT 34 (LOW verbal) ................?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy, I don't mean to be impolite here, but are you American born and raised? I ask only b/c you're essentially giving the American textbook example of racism (i.e. judging someone's qualifications/abilities/whatever by the color of his skin) and then being shocked when people call you out on being racist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't feed the troll.

you should be the last one on Earth to call anyone "troll".

Wtf is your problem?! Are you one of those applicants who feels entitled to a spot in medical school, and because you didn't get it, now you're bitter? Looking for a scapegoat?! I do NOT take kindly to blatant racism on these forums, so if you want a fu*king debate, you got it! I'm a URM who had to reapply after applying to late last cycle, and I'm damn smart and probably have better stats then you. So watch your f*cking mouth about URMs.

Buddy, I don't mean to be impolite here, but are you American born and raised? I ask only b/c you're essentially giving the American textbook example of racism (i.e. judging someone's qualifications/abilities/whatever by the color of his skin) and then being shocked when people call you out on being racist.

Please read again where you got that I am " judging someone's qualifications/abilities/whatever by the color of his skin".

It seems that you are saying here by not being born and raised in America, one is more likely to be a racist ??

well... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
some links,

Correlation of National Board of Medical
Examiners Scores with United States Medical
Licensing Examination Step 1 and
Step 2 Scores

Christopher M. Zahn, MD, Aaron Saguil MD, MPH, Anthony R. Artino Jr, PhD,
Ting Dong, PhD, Gerald Ming, Jessica T. Servey, MD, Erin Balog, MD,
Matthew Goldenberg, MD, and Steven J. Durning, MD, PhD

https://www.aamc.org/download/307774/data/clerkshipeducation-zahn.pdf

"
Academic Medicine, Vol. 87, No. 10 / October 2012
RIME: Clerkship Education
U.S. medical schools granting the
MD degree use scores on Steps 1
and 2 of the United States Medical
Licensing Examination (USMLE) as
objective assessments of medical student
performance.Indeed, passing scores
on all three Steps of the USMLE is a
requirement for medical licensure for
these graduates.
While passing these
examinations is not the primary focus
of basic science and clinical education
in medical school, it is an important
curricular outcome.
Clinical clerkships incorporate various
measures to assess student performance,
including objective examinations. Many
clerkships use the National Board of
Medical Examiners (NBME) Clinical
Subject (“shelf ”) examinations as
one component of the final clerkship
examination. Although one may assume
that the scores on subject examinations
in core clerkships correlate with
performance on the USMLE Step 2
Clinical Knowledge (CK) examination,
the data supporting this assumption
are limited.
2-5
The literature addresses
several other variables potentially
associated with Step 1 and/or Step 2
CK scores such as clinical performance,
Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
scores, medical school grade point
average (GPA), and timing or length
of clerkships. Several studies have also
investigated correlations between subject
exam scores and subtest scores of the
USMLE examination. The only studies
addressing the relationship between
subject exam performance and overall
USMLE scores are in family medicine
and obstetrics and gynecology; these
studies analyzed the correlations of
the USMLE exam with their respective
clerkship subject exam.
2-4,6-8
Only one
study considered the relationship
between student performance on
subject examinations across multiple
clerkships and performance on Step 2
CK examinations; that study addressed
the effect of clerkship timing and
length.
Correlating subject exam scores
with performance on the USMLE
examinations could be important to
undergraduate medical educators
interested in predicting outcomes on
national standardized examinations,
and to graduate medical educators for
selecting residents.
The purpose of this study was to
determine whether the NBME Clinical
Subject Examination performances
of medical students from our medical
school’s six core clerkships correlated
with their scores on the USMLE Steps
1 and 2 CK Examinations. We also
sought to correlate these students’ GPAs
for basic science courses (likely more
relevant to Step 1) and clerkships (likely
more relevant to Step 2 CK) with subject
exam and USMLE performance. We
used the theory of context specificity
as a conceptual framework for our
study. Context specificity
argues that
performance is uniquely tied to context
and therefore performance on one
subject examination (one context) would
not be expected to be strongly correlated
with performance on other subject
examinations (other contexts) for a given
student.
Purpose
Determine whether the National Board
of Medical Examiners (NBME) Subject
Examination performance from six
clerkships correlated with United States
Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)
Steps 1 and 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK)
Examination scores. Also, examine
correlations between medical students’
preclinical and clinical year mean
cumulative grade point average (GPA),
subject exam, and USMLE performance.
Method
The sample consisted of 507 students
from the 2008–2010 graduating classes
from the authors’ medical school.
Pearson correlations followed by
stepwise linear regressions were used
to investigate variance in USMLE Steps
1 and 2 CK scores explained by subject
exam scores and GPA.
Results
Data from 484 (95.5%) students were
included. USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CK
scores had moderate-to-large positive
correlations with all subject exam
scores and with both GPA variables.
Correlations between composite
subject exam scores and USMLE Steps
1 and 2 CK exams were 0.69 and
0.77, respectively. Regression analysis
demonstrated that subject exams and
GPA accounted for substantial variance in
Steps 1 and 2 CK exam scores (62% and
61%); when entered into the regression
model first, primary care clerkship subject
examination scores accounted for most
of this variance.
Conclusions
The moderate-to-large correlations
between subject exam performance and
USMLE scores provide reassurance that
subject exam scores are associated with
USMLE performance. Furthermore, the
considerable variance in USMLE scores
accounted for by primary care NBME
scores may be due to primary care topics
being reinforced through all clerkships
and comprising a significant portion of
the USMLE examinations, particularly
Step 2 CK."

Attachments

• clerkshipeducation-zahn.pdf
    147.6 KB · Views: 41
Please read again where you got that I am " judging someone's qualifications/abilities/whatever by the color of his skin".

It seems that you are saying here by not being born and raised in America, one is more likely to be a racist ??

well... :)

Nope. Don't assume one to be more racist b/c born/raised elsewhere. Just trying to figure out why you don't get it. Please take my word for it. An overwhelming majority of Americans will conclude you are racist (and reprehensible) if you continue to say things like you'd not accept treatment from doctors of certain ethnic backgrounds. You can quote the 14th Amendment all you want, but I think you fail to understand its meaning and the context in which it must be read.

And btw...I think you might want to focus more on training and experience and less on admissions stats.

This! I was wondering the same thing.

Nope. Don't assume one to be more racist b/c born/raised elsewhere. Just trying to figure out why you don't get it. Please take my word for it. An overwhelming majority of Americans will conclude you are racist (and reprehensible) if you continue to say things like you'd not accept treatment from doctors of certain ethnic backgrounds. You can quote the 14th Amendment all you want, but I think you fail to understand its meaning and the context in which it must be read.

And btw...I think you might want to focus more on training and experience and less on admissions stats.

I respect your opinion and appreciate the constructive intention (and tone) here.

But I guess what you are saying here is if one is not an American, he/she does not get "it" ?? Or it is un-American to not get what you are saying ??

you will be surprised to know that there are many people (Americans from many different backgrounds and races) who are agreeing with me and sending PMs /emails in support.

I bet you have also not heard or read about the recent Fisher v. University of Texas. Read this for your information,

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/why_everyone_is_wrong_about_fi.php?

I think you would agree with me that U.S. Supreme Court's Justices like Justice Kennedy is an American (and he must understand the meaning and context of the 14th Amendment pretty well) :)

FYI, this is another good link,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/09/supreme-court-affirmative-action/1623487/

before calling me a racist, read my post here,

You are assuming a lot of things here....

Meritocracy is not a myth.

Let me give an example: Asian.

We all know that most of Asian students do belong to minority groups or come from very disadvantaged backgrounds in America. They sure are not playing on the same playing field as the majority of Americans.

Are many if not most of them experiencing racism and oppression too right now right here in America ?? A big YES.

But do you see most of them whine and claim the race card ?? No. They work hard and earn their places fair and square. No URM status and favor for them. No problem. They are trying harder to overcome those hardships/disadvantages by becoming the better /best workers or the better/best students.

Now you can ask why Asians are not underrepresented in medicine. In fact, they are disproportionally represented in medicine. Why ?? We all know that is because how highly they value education and the medical profession. Their own cultures and families encourage and support them to pursue medicine. But they earn their marks based on their own hard work and merits.

Would I refuse the care of an Asian doctor based on their skin color ?? Heck no. I know for sure most of them earn their marks on their own merits.

You want equal playing field ?? That can be done without the current URM policy.

I am not insulting anyone here. I am speaking facts. Is that true that URMs policy is to give preferential treatments and favors in admission and training to URMs, most with lesser stats than the rest of the student/applicant pool ??

To me lesser stats = highly chance that the students/doctors are not as qualified or competent as others.

If lesser stats in MCAT, GPA, or USMLE are unreliable and inherently biased, let's abolish the use of them. Let's base med school admission/medical residency-training on interviews and LORs or whatever but not grades and standardized test scores. Oh wait, most of Caribbean med schools have already done that lol :)

MCAT scores do correlate to passing and/or high scores on UMSL Step 1. Unless you are saying USMLE is not to measure the competency of the doctor-in-training.

Again, please do tell me what you think should be used to judge/measure/determine the competency and qualification of a doctor.

Also I have never said that MCAT and undergrad GPA should be an be all and end all. Whatever admission standards there are, they should be the same for ALL. The current URM policy is a double standard if you will, which is unfairly taking the spots of many other more qualified students/applicants to favor URMs.

racism is racism. What is racism ?? I think you already have an idea, i.e. "based on races". Is the current URM admission based on races ?? lol :)

I do not refuse care from doctors based on their races. I refused care from doctors who are the productions of the URM system which favors students w lesser stats than others, which very likely to produce incompetent doctors. I would not trust my health/life in the hands of incompetent doctors, regardless of races or backgrounds.

I am saying most URMs consistently admitted to med school w lesser stats, thus highly likely become incompetent doctors. Studies do show MCAT scores positively correlate with performance on USMLE (esp Step 1). USMLE is measuring the competency of the doctor-in-training, is it not ??

I based my decisions on merits while people like you repeatedly are trying put words in my mouth and calling me a "racist".

read this for your own info,

https://www.google.com/search?q=quota wrong supreme court&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Funny in your own words you are saying above that there is racism in affirmative action and URMs and it is not relevant. Whatever LOL :)

FYI, this is another good link,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/09/supreme-court-affirmative-action/1623487/

before calling me a racist, read my post here,

I haven't called you racist...yet. It's a charge that I don't levy lightly because doing so belittles the word. That said, I find your posts supremely ignorant. And to be truthful, crossing the line into blatant racism (a thing that's very uncommon amongst educated Americans...hence, my question if you were raised elsewhere).

I can understand your concern about admissions, though I disagree with your position. However, assuming your best doctors are those with the highest MCAT scores and college GPAs is overly simplistic. It does not take into account medical school, residency and fellowship training. And makes the naive conclusion that your "smartest" doctors are your best doctors. In fact, all the social science research shows that beyond a baseline level of intelligence (usually measured by IQ), intelligence is not predictive of career success. In other words, someone with an IQ of 140 is not more likely to be successful than one with and IQ of 125. Factors other than intelligence affect success. If this were going to be a reasonable conversation, I'd hunt down the citations for you, but I don't think you're one to change his mind...though I'd love to be proven wrong here.

Reactions: 1 user
the article you posted implies that whatever is emphasized during clerkship is likely to lead to better scores on step 2 (i.e. primary care), and so it's not just gpa and exammanship per se.

the article you posted on looking at ecdis as a way to recruit more urm (because race and class are intersecting oppressions) talks about how universities don't actually want to do that, because it would take more investment - more money, and also more supports. by your logic, you would not want these 'lesser performing on surrogate marker tests' folks as your doc. you would still be able to use skin colour to choose your doc, as oppressions are intersecting, you would still be able to argue that they are 'lesser' because of the test results (but you would have to ask them if they grew up poor, and then if they came in under affirmative action), and you would still be classified by some/many as using the colour of people's skin inappropriately. lucky for you, universities and governments don't really have the will to put that much money in the states into widening access to education.

however, check out the links i posted from before around the u.k. approach to widening access. it is the one you agree with. however, one of the articles lists the critiques and push-back, which is also based on this ubiquitous concept of 'meritocracy', being used mostly by folks who are privileged in this world, not the folks who would actually benefit if there really were a meritocracy. wages alone say we don't live in a meritocracy. and access to education is actually a cornerstone - to be able to place yourself in a better position. but access to education is broken. see the articles you are quoting around economic disadvantage. there is no meritocracy, only a spectre.

I haven't called you racist...yet. It's a charge that I don't levy lightly because doing so belittles the word. That said, I find your posts supremely ignorant. And to be truthful, crossing the line into blatant racism (a thing that's very uncommon amongst educated Americans...hence, my question if you were raised elsewhere).

I can understand your concern about admissions, though I disagree with your position. However, assuming your best doctors are those with the highest MCAT scores and college GPAs is overly simplistic. It does not take into account medical school, residency and fellowship training. And makes the naive conclusion that your "smartest" doctors are your best doctors. In fact, all the social science research shows that beyond a baseline level of intelligence (usually measured by IQ), intelligence is not predictive of career success. In other words, someone with an IQ of 140 is not more likely to be successful than one with and IQ of 125. Factors other than intelligence affect success. If this were going to be a reasonable conversation, I'd hunt down the citations for you, but I don't think you're one to change his mind...though I'd love to be proven wrong here.

to call me a racist or crossing the line to "blantant racism", you have to prove that I discriminate based on skin colors or races, which I do not. I refuse the doctors produced from URM admission policy which deliberately, categorically, and consistently favors and selects candidates based on races regardless of academic stats. Yet you seem not to think URM policy which is based on races is racist or crossing the line to "blatant racism".

I believe stats like the MCAT and undergrad GPAs are among the most important factors to select competent students to med schools thus its more likely that those students are possessing good study skills and habits and more likely becoming competent doctors. Those factors like MCAT and GPA are transparent and objective and thus less prone to personal opinions and biases or favors.

The MCAT is continually modified and tweaked to better measure the competency of the students/candidates and to be a better predictor of performance on competency tests like USMLE. In fact, the MCAT has just got revised and changed to better do this jobs.

I have also said that MCAT and undegrad GPA are not the end all be all factors. Others like medical education, residency and fellowship training, like you said, are also coming to play.

But when the "other" factors like medical education, residency and fellowship training, etc are the same, what would you use to determine or judge the competency of the doctor-in-training??

You seems to be saying here that regardless of their grades and standardized test scores, a typical URM student (or doctor) consistently possesses such a "whole package" of the "other" factors (which many posters before you have already used this argument) that makes their undergrad grade point avg and standardized test scores like the MCAT (or USMLE) irrelevant.

That is the same as saying other students (or doctors) who possess great MCAT score and college GPA do not have their "package" as good as URM's. Or that most URMs consistently have the "whole package" so superior than the rest of the pool that not only their packages make up for their deficiencies in GPA and standardized test scores but also make them superior students (or doctors) than the rest of the pool.

That is also the same as saying that URMs are so special than other students that they will consistently make competent doctors regardless of their grades and standardized test scores. Not to mention that they are unfairly favored for admission over many other students with better GPA/MCAT + better "whole packages".

Have you seen the posts where I quoted from some typical URMs on here in this very thread ?? If you have, you can see for yourself what a typical URM student is and how special they are indeed.

In this very thread, which unfortunately is derailed by this URM discussion (apology to the OP), you can see the OP was struggling to get secondaries from any school. Does the OP get better academic stats and "whole package" than the URMs I quote in this thread ?? In my opinion, the OP is the better candidate for med school. But who got in med school, the OP or the URM I quote (this guy got in great schools like U of Minnesota and Mayo too) ?? The URM.

Have you seen the posts where I quoted a URM who originally asked what his/her chance was for med school admission ?? She got like 20 MCAT and low GPAs and did not want to retake the MCAT. Many other posters, including @Mad Jack who happened to argue about URM policy here, told the URM that his/her chance is "nil". Yet when the URM indicated that he/she is black, then suddenly he/she is very competent for admission to you ??

You only have to roll your mouse back and read from this very thread....

I hope you see the fact now that URMs are deliberately, categorically, and consistently selected and favored in admission and training based on their races regardless their academic stats and "other" factors. To trust that most of them are becoming doctors as competent as others who have to compete and jump through the highest bars and the more difficult hoops as the rest of us all have to are simply naive.

That is my position here. I do not trust my health/life with URM doctors based on their merits not the color of their skins or races. If tommorow URM programs change their race categories and favor some other particular groups on the expense of merits, my position is still the same.

If it appears like racism to some of you, that is because it happens that those URMs consistently and categorically belong to certain groups as the direct results of URM admission policy.

But the potential that you or me or URM that could become a competent physician is not even the main point here. The main point here is that URM uses a double standard and deliberately, consistently and categorically favors less qualified and competent students from certain groups based on races to fill their URM quotas (stated or unstated) on the expenses of other more qualified and competent students/candidates. Less qualified/competent students/candidates = potentially less qualified/competent doctors imho.

Anyway, to call my posts "supreme ignorant" or me "uneducated American/uneducated non American"is also a charge I think you should not levy lightly either.

All I do is having different opinions and positions than you !!

Last edited:
to call me a racist or crossing the line to "blantant racism", you have to prove that I discriminate based on skin colors or races, which I do not. I refuse the doctors produced from URM admission policy which deliberately, categorically, and consistently favors and selects candidates based on races regardless of academic stats. Yet you seem not to think URM policy which is based on races is racist or crossing the line to "blatant racism".

I believe stats like the MCAT and undergrad GPAs are among the most important factors to select competent students to med schools thus more likely those students to possess good study skills and habits to more likely to become competent doctors. Those factors like MCAT and GPA are transparent and objective and thus less prone to personal opinions and biases.

The MCAT is continually modified and tweaked to better measure the competency of the students/candidates and to be a better predictor of performance on competency tests like USMLE. In fact, the MCAT has just got revised and changed to better do this jobs.

I have also said that MCAT and undegrad GPA are not the end all be all factors. Others like medical education, residency and fellowship training, like you said, are also coming to play.

But when the "other" factors like medical education, residency and fellowship training, etc are the same, what would you use to determine or judge the competency of the doctor-in-training??

You seems to be saying here that regardless of their grades and standardized test scores, a typical URM student (or doctor) consistently possesses such a "whole package" of the "other" factors (which many posters before you have already used this argument) that makes their undergrad grade point avg and standardized test scores like the MCAT (or USMLE) irrelevant.

That is the same as saying other students (or doctors) who possess great MCAT score and college GPA do not have their "package" as good as URM's. Or that most URMs consistently have the "whole package" so superior than the rest of the pool that not only their packages make up for their deficiencies in GPA and standardized test scores but also make them superior students (or doctors) than the rest of the pool.

That is also the same as saying that URMs are so special than other students that they will consistently make competent doctors regardless of their grades and standardized test scores. Not to mention that they are unfairly favored for admission over many other students with better GPA/MCAT + better "whole packages".

Have you seen the posts where I quoted from some typical URMs on here in this very thread ?? If you have, you can see for yourself what a typical URM student is and how special they are indeed.

In this very thread, which unfortunately is derailed by this URM discussion (apology to the OP), you can see the OP was struggling to get secondaries from any school. Does the OP get better academic stats and "whole package" than the URMs I quote in this thread ?? In my opinion, the OP is the better candidate for med school. But who got in med school, the OP or the URM I quote (this guy got in great schools like U of Minnesota and Mayo too) ?? The URM.

Have you seen the posts where I quoted a URM who originally asked what his/her chance was for med school admission ?? She got like 20 MCAT and low GPAs and did not want to retake the MCAT. Many other posters, including @Mad Jack who happened to argue about URM policy here, told the URM that his/her chance is "nil". Yet when the URM indicated that he/she is black, then suddenly he/she is very competent for admission to you ??

I hope you see the fact now that URMs are deliberately, categorically, and consistently selected and favored in admission and training based on their races regardless their academic stats and "other" factors. To trust that most of them are becoming doctors as competent as others who have to compete and jump through the highest bars and the more difficult hoops as the rest of us all have to are simply naive.

That is my position here. I do not trust my health/life with URM doctors based on their merits not the color of their skins or races. If tommorow URM programs change their race categories and favor some other particular groups on the expense of merits, my position is still the same.

If it appears like racism to some of you, that is because it happens that those URMs consistently and categorically belong to certain groups as the direct results of URM admission policy.

But the potential that you or me or URM that could become a competent physician is not even the main point here. The main point here is that URM uses a double standard and deliberately, consistently and categorically favors less qualified and competent students from certain groups based on races to fill their URM quotas (stated or unstated) on the expenses of other more qualified and competent students/candidates. Less qualified/competent students/candidates = potentially less qualified/competent doctors imho.

Anyway, to call my posts "supreme ignorant" is also a charge I think you should not levy lightly either. All I do is having different opinions and positions than you !!
You do realize that grades and MCAT scores aren't what makes a competent physician, right? Most of the older attendings out there today got into medical school with what was the equivalent of a 25 and GPAs that would be considered abysmal today. Hell, until recently there were rapidly trained physicians in practice that completed accelerated curriculums during the WWII and post WWII era, and they did fine as well, despite having what amounted to a slightly more in-depth PA curriculum. It doesn't make them any less competent than their younger peers. Being able to excel on tests and in undergrad have no bearing on whether your surgeon will have the dexterity to master his craft or whether your PCP has the patience and listening skills to sort through your complaints to find what is at the root of your problem.

Worse still, you're missing out on a lot of extremely talented physicians because of your discrimination- we had an excellent URM physician that was a prominent attending at my teaching hospital, who had stellar undergraduate and medical school credentials that he earned and that would likely put your CV to shame. But whatever, clearly all of that means nothing because of the color of his skin.

the article you posted implies that whatever is emphasized during clerkship is likely to lead to better scores on step 2 (i.e. primary care), and so it's not just gpa and exammanship per se.

the article you posted on looking at ecdis as a way to recruit more urm (because race and class are intersecting oppressions) talks about how universities don't actually want to do that, because it would take more investment - more money, and also more supports. by your logic, you would not want these 'lesser performing on surrogate marker tests' folks as your doc. you would still be able to use skin colour to choose your doc, as oppressions are intersecting, you would still be able to argue that they are 'lesser' because of the test results (but you would have to ask them if they grew up poor, and then if they came in under affirmative action), and you would still be classified by some/many as using the colour of people's skin inappropriately. lucky for you, universities and governments don't really have the will to put that much money in the states into widening access to education.

please see my above post and the Asian example.

however, check out the links i posted from before around the u.k. approach to widening access. it is the one you agree with. however, one of the articles lists the critiques and push-back, which is also based on this ubiquitous concept of 'meritocracy', being used mostly by folks who are privileged in this world, not the folks who would actually benefit if there really were a meritocracy. wages alone say we don't live in a meritocracy. and access to education is actually a cornerstone - to be able to place yourself in a better position. but access to education is broken. see the articles you are quoting around economic disadvantage. there is no meritocracy, only a spectre.

please reread about the Asian example in my previous post.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do realize that grades and MCAT scores aren't what makes a competent physician, right? Most of the older attendings out there today got into medical school with what was the equivalent of a 25 and GPAs that would be considered abysmal today. Hell, until recently there were rapidly trained physicians in practice that completed accelerated curriculums during the WWII and post WWII era, and they did fine as well, despite having what amounted to a slightly more in-depth PA curriculum. It doesn't make them any less competent than their younger peers. Being able to excel on tests and in undergrad have no bearing on whether your surgeon will have the dexterity to master his craft or whether your PCP has the patience and listening skills to sort through your complaints to find what is at the root of your problem.

Worse still, you're missing out on a lot of extremely talented physicians because of your discrimination- we had an excellent URM physician that was a prominent attending at my teaching hospital, who had stellar undergraduate and medical school credentials that he earned and that would likely put your CV to shame. But whatever, clearly all of that means nothing because of the color of his skin.

see my post above and reread the posts where you yourself told the URM that his/her chance to med school were "nil" before he/she indicated that he/she was black.

So only when he/she told you about races, now you suddenly think that he/she is supercompetitive for med school admission ??

you can qualified and competitive for the admission but when spots are limited, the spots should go to the one who is better qualified and more competitive.

The point is not if you, me, or URM or people back in WWII era who can potentially or possibly become a competent physician. The point is is fairness and justice in college/med school admission. Per the example above which you were involved, you think that is fair and just ??

regarding a surgeon having dexterity to master his craft of if a PCP having the patience and listening skills are graded in their medical school education and training, are they not ??

you can say that I discriminate, but if I do I base it on merits and not on races. What do you think URM admission policy is now ?? That is not discrimination ?? Worse yet, it is based on races and not on merits.

Again if all or most URM or a typical URM is like your URM physician who had "stellar undegraduate and medical school credentials", why is there the need of URM admission in place to consistently, deliberately, and categorically admit students with lesser stats (and the supposed "whole package" your word , which they do not even have) in to med schools ??

I cannot verify your anecdote. However, you can find plenty of URM examples from their own very words about the stats and "the whole package" you are talking about in this very thread and SDN and on the web.

There is a chance that I might potentially miss out an excellent URM doctor for my care. However on the bigger chance that is a typical URM is less qualified and competent, I would not take that chance for my health.

Last edited:
see my post above and reread the posts where you yourself told the URM that his/her chance to med school were "nil" before he/she indicated that he/she was black.

So only when he/she told you about races, now you suddenly think that he/she is supercompetitive for med school admission ??

you can qualified and competitive for the admission but when spots are limited, the spots should go to the one who is better qualified and more competitive.

The point is not if you, me, or URM or people back in WWII era who can potentially or possibly become a competent physician. The point is is fairness and justice in college/med school admission. Per the example above which you were involved, you think that is fair and just ??

regarding a surgeon having dexterity to master his craft of if a PCP having the patience and listening skills are graded in their medical school education and training, are they not ??

you can say that I discriminate, but if I do I base it on merits and not on races. What do you think URM admission policy is now ?? That is not discrimination ?? Worse yet, it is based on races and not on merits.

Again if all or most URM or a typical URM is like your URM physician who had "stellar undegraduate and medical school credentials", why is there the need of URM admission in place to consistently, deliberately, and categorically admit students with lesser stats (and the supposed "whole package" your word , which they do not even have) in to med schools ??

I cannot verify your anecdote. However, you can find plenty of URM examples from their own very words about the stats and "the whole package" you are talking about in this very thread and SDN and on the web.

I might potentially miss out an excellent URM doctor for my care. However on the chance that is a typical URM is less qualified and competent, I would not take that chance for my health.
How does their lower GPA and MCAT in any way affect the quality of care that they provide?

People skills and manual dexterity aren't taught in med school, one is a personality trait and the other is a physical aptitude that you either have or you do not.

Finally, you could have a white or Asian physician that didn't have great grades or MCAT scores that got in because they were a star athlete, had family connections, etc. Yet you'd trust these people more because of the color of their skin.

Seems more to me that you're just butthurt about the whole process and want to do whatever you can to take it out on URMs, regardless of their qualifications or the quality of care they provide.

the asian folks who could get in easier with ecdis focus rather than urm focus, given immigration and economic background, would then be suspect. in fact all skin colours would be suspect. how would you know who got 'special treatment'? it seems it is important to you to discriminate based on test scores, despite test scores not being particularly relevant to competency down the line. how will you know?? i mean, some docs will fly their working-class colours, refusing to assimilate, particularly if there is a certain percentage reached so that it is possible to choose not to assimilate. so that you will know, and can therefore discriminate. you say you agree with how ecdis gets in the way of meritocracy and you would like programmes that account for this inequity...but that would not follow from your general argument about test scores etc. which will you choose? primacy of test scores based on the belief in meritocracy? or recognizing the worth and competency of those from ecdis who don't get the same test scores? i suspect you are supporting the ecdis thing because it has been used as a way to knock down the race thing...and in turn will get knocked at itself (as in the examples i gave of push-back in the uk)

the mcat and standardized tests have a long way to go to not be biased against marginalized groups. too many articles on that, and also on how poor grades do not predict inability to handle med school, in the u.k. literature on broadening participation. they do not work on grades alone. that was in the past, and that was a change from prior, that the royal college worried would let 'riff raff' in, and erode the medical power that was safeguarded by a 'nucleus' of people from 'cultured families' - i.e. wealthy and with lots of social capital. since then, it was about grades alone, and then it's about widening participation, where grades are not considered as important, in favour of the goal of widening participation, particularly for those from particular communities/neighbourhoods/schools/economic backgrounds that are less likely to go forward.

How does their lower GPA and MCAT in any way affect the quality of care that they provide?

People skills and manual dexterity aren't taught in med school, one is a personality trait and the other is a physical aptitude that you either have or you do not.

Finally, you could have a white or Asian physician that didn't have great grades or MCAT scores that got in because they were a star athlete, had family connections, etc. Yet you'd trust these people more because of the color of their skin.

Seems more to me that you're just butthurt about the whole process and want to do whatever you can to take it out on URMs, regardless of their qualifications or the quality of care they provide.

listen to yourself here.... Asian athlete ?? connections ?? are these events frequent occurrence or systematic ??

we are talking a URM admission policy deliberately put in place for the sole purpose of filling stated/unstated quotas on URM based on races without regards to merits on the expense of other more qualified and competitive students/candidates.

while I am trying to address every point of your arguments, you have again and again dodged my questions....

anyway I am not arguing with you further on this subject.

it seems to me that you do not want to be fair or just for ALL. You only want to bully me without good reasoning and logic. I get it.

listen to yourself here.... Asian athlete ?? connections ?? are these events frequent occurrence or systematic ??

we are talking a URM admission policy deliberately put in place for the sole purpose of filling stated/unstated quotas on URM based on races without regards to merits on the expense of other more qualified and competitive students/candidates.

while I am trying to address every point of your arguments, you have again and again dodged my questions....

anyway I am not arguing with you further on this subject.

it seems to me that you do not want to be fair or just for ALL. You only want to bully me without good reasoning and logic. I get it.
More people get in based on connections, athletic performance, etc than there are URMs in a given school. You're more likely to come across a legacy admit than a black physician by a wide margin.

the asian folks who could get in easier with ecdis focus rather than urm focus, given immigration and economic background, would then be suspect. in fact all skin colours would be suspect. how would you know who got 'special treatment'? it seems it is important to you to discriminate based on test scores, despite test scores not being particularly relevant to competency down the line. how will you know?? i mean, some docs will fly their working-class colours, refusing to assimilate, particularly if there is a certain percentage reached so that it is possible to choose not to assimilate. so that you will know, and can therefore discriminate. you say you agree with how ecdis gets in the way of meritocracy and you would like programmes that account for this inequity...but that would not follow from your general argument about test scores etc. which will you choose? primacy of test scores based on the belief in meritocracy? or recognizing the worth and competency of those from ecdis who don't get the same test scores? i suspect you are supporting the ecdis thing because it has been used as a way to knock down the race thing...and in turn will get knocked at itself (as in the examples i gave of push-back in the uk)

the mcat and standardized tests have a long way to go to not be biased against marginalized groups. too many articles on that, and also on how poor grades do not predict inability to handle med school, in the u.k. literature on broadening participation. they do not work on grades alone. that was in the past, and that was a change from prior, that the royal college worried would let 'riff raff' in, and erode the medical power that was safeguarded by a 'nucleus' of people from 'cultured families' - i.e. wealthy and with lots of social capital. since then, it was about grades alone, and then it's about widening participation, where grades are not considered as important, in favour of the goal of widening participation, particularly for those from particular communities/neighbourhoods/schools/economic backgrounds that are less likely to go forward.

while standardized test scores such as the MCAT have some shortcomings, they have a very unique and important characteristic that other factors do not have that they are objective and require everyone to take the same tests and the results are transparent. This makes the use of standardized test score as a factor in determining college/med school admission less prone to personal opinions, biases, and/or favors.

I gave you the Asian example because many if not most do come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, being minorities and late comers and experiencing racial discrimination, etc. They almost fit the URM definition except that they overcome those hardships and obstacles to become very competitive and qualified students/workers/candidates for admission/jobs and dominate the college scene and med school application.

They do not have URM status But they earn their marks on their hard work and merits anyway.

You can argue here that med school/profession was dominated or "safe guarded" by whoever are privilege before Asian. But they come in and own the game by their hard work and merits.

If they can do it, why others cannot ??

The point is, you can blame of things around you but most importantly, you have to be able to blame yourself and make it your own responsibility to make your marks in the real world.

regarding your point about econ-disad getting the way of meritocracy, I have stated many times in my posts here in this thread that we can solve that problem with many ways like offering special scholarships and assistance programs, etc (the same ways can be used to increase diversity and participation) which would not infringe on the right for equal opportunity of others to pursue medical education/training. URM infringes this right based on races, which, I think, is exactly making it wrong.

If you insist that standardized test scores are irrelevant to competency down the line, then abolish the use of them. But whatever rules/factors/categories etc you are using for admission, make sure you use and apply the same standards to ALL. URM admission policy is deliberately, categorically, and consistently using double standard for admission and that is what exactly making it wrong imho.

More people get in based on connections, athletic performance, etc than there are URMs in a given school. You're more likely to come across a legacy admit than a black physician by a wide margin.

athletic performance, connections and legacy are also wrong as those are not fair to ALL imho. But these events again as I have said above are not frequent or obvious occurrence or systematic imho

You can be sure that when I see one like that, I will not hesitate to say, "this is wrong".

URM policy in admission/training is wrong and unfair to ALL, including the URMs who are working hard to earn their excellent marks.

imho, if URMs are given special treatments in admission and / or training because their populations are under-represented in medicine, their licenses to practice medicine should be restricted to only practicing medicine within their own populations / communities.

Personally, I will try my best not to be treated by a URM doctor, because I think most of them are underqualified and lesser students compared to the general pool. I want the best doctors I can get to treat me !! I am sure God does not give me a URM status on my life and spare me when the time comes :)

But enjoy medical school !!

Yep, we URMs are going to enjoy medical school no matter what you say! Unfortunately, there will always be people like you with this mindset, and I wouldn't want to be treated by someone like YOU. I prefer to be treated by someone who is empathetic, self-less, and not some bitter ORM that is upset about this process. URMs are not taking your seat. Out of every medical class, we make up at least 10% of the class. You need to blame yourself for not being good enough and just mediocre. We are not going to talk about why we have these things in place. URMs don't have to be an ethnic thing, but it is also encompasses your socioeconomic and financial statuses. It's not our fault that most ORMs had 400 years start to succeed and be privilege to attend certain schools that allow you the opportunity to be taught by the best teachers. They aren't any safety issues in your community that prevented you to attend certain events. There aren't any lack of funding in your community that prevented you from attending after school programs and the like. You sound like a bitter brat that is upset that he/she couldn't get his own way. You're upset, that someone who had to struggle all their lives is getting a chance. These tests weren't made for people who grew up in a certain community or lifestyle. You've been trained for this since birth. You probably had people in your family, communities or social circles who were successful. URMs, like myself, weren't given this opportunity.

Even, if I strip away my URM status, I will still be a far more competitive applicant than you :). I'm not here to brag, but I am very competitive. Yes, I had to retake my MCAT, and I know that is something that I had to struggle with, but it is okay. I've done above and beyond what an average pre-medical student has done. I am also a scholar for a very prestigious fellowship, which people wish they were :D. Once again, we don't need your negative comments, and thinking just because you can't pass a test you are incompetent. URMs aren't the only ones who struggle with standardized tests, everyone does. I am happy there is a system in place. I bet if they had certain privileges for other ORMs, for example, people families who were victims for a certain event, people will definitely jump on the bandwagon.

Some bitching, and get some testosterone :). If you can't handle the heat, get the hell out the kitchen. Better yet, if you can't play the cards you are dealt with, you're useless and pretty much a pathetic soul. Fold your hands, put on some depends, and let someone tuck you in. Life is not fair, and not always in your favor.

I probably won't comment to another one of your post, because it will be a waste of my time, and I don't waste my time on insignificant people like you, who bashes other people because of your own unhappiness or failures :p. I hope there aren't any URMs who would want to be mentor by someone like you. I will feel very sorry for them, but more importantly, I pity you, and really feel sorry for you, like I truly do. I guess this is how majority of SDNers feel.

I can be treated by any physician no matter their race, status or creed because I can learn something from them. We are all here to uplift each other, so we can get to the same place. My life experiences taught me a lot about my self, and I am very open to hearing how other people live their lives. I want my class to be very diverse. Also, you can be white or Asian and still be URM. They still struggle, too :), and they need help as well!

Last edited:
while standardized test scores such as the MCAT have some shortcomings, they have a very unique and important characteristic that other factors do not have that they are objective and require everyone to take the same tests and the results are transparent. This makes the use of standardized test score as a factor in determining college/med school admission less prone to personal opinions, biases, and/or favors.

I gave you the Asian example because many if not most do come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, being minorities and late comers and experiencing racial discrimination, etc. They almost fit the URM definition except that they overcome those hardships and obstacles to become very competitive and qualified students/workers/candidates for admission/jobs and dominate the college scene and med school application.

They do not have URM status But they earn their marks on their hard work and merits anyway.

You can argue here that med school/profession was dominated or "safe guarded" by whoever are privilege before Asian. But they come in and own the game by their hard work and merits.

If they can do it, why others cannot ??

The point is, you can blame of things around you but most importantly, you have to be able to blame yourself and make it your own responsibility to make your marks in the real world.

regarding your point about econ-disad getting the way of meritocracy, I have stated many times in my posts here in this thread that we can solve that problem with many ways like offering special scholarships and assistance programs, etc (the same ways can be used to increase diversity and participation) which would not infringe on the right for equal opportunity of others to pursue medical education/training. URM infringes this right based on races, which, I think, is exactly making it wrong.

If you insist that standardized test scores are irrelevant to competency down the line, then abolish the use of them. But whatever rules/factors/categories etc you are using for admission, make sure you use and apply the same standards to ALL. URM admission policy is deliberately, categorically, and consistently using double standard for admission and that is what exactly making it wrong imho.

I'm sorry, I had to comment again. I lived in an Asian country for two years for my fellowship. You can't compare the Asian community with say the Hispanic, Native American or African-American communities. They have a different system and mind-set. Most importantly, their family life is completely different. I am URM and I lived in Asia for two years with a homestay family, so I can talk a lot about their school systems, and how they study for standardized tests, and how much of their parents' money go towards school. Coming from a very, very disadvantaged background, and living in a single parent (who is an immigrant) household can't be compared to someone who is Asian and considered to be URM. They are bred for the STEM fields, literally since birth. It is so competitive that HS students are committing suicide, and they are setting up machines so they can study every day. This is why, when they come to America, it's a cake walk.

Plus, how many scholarships do you think they should give, and how could you ensure that every student will be aware of these scholarships. One thing I learned is that it's hard to find out about opportunities, if there is no one who is guiding you through the process. I am considered to be a "statistic" in my area. I went to HS, graduated from a reputable college, went abroad and became a scholar. I volunteered in several countries, and researched for 3 years. Even though, I graduated I am still involve in several pre-med orgs, where I work on national committees. Currently,I work at one of the TOP 3 cancer centers as a clinical research coordinator and last year, I helped and gave back to my community by working with the Affordable Care Act. This is not the norm where I grew up. We have a lot teen pregnancies, and juvenile delinquents who are prob incarcerated, and are still apart of gangs. Kids are having kids, and they are dropping out of HS. Again, this is why it is so important for me to mentor, and I am currently a mentor for a HS student. They don't meet someone like me on a regular basis, because I am a rarity. I am really ashamed to say that, but you don't know what it's like. You're from the outside looking in. Until, you walked in a URM shoes, you can kiss our tails as we walk pass you with our white coats on :D.

Okay, I am done with my rant :D

Stay warm in this blizzard, if you're on the east coast!

I believe stats like the MCAT and undergrad GPAs are among the most important factors to select competent students to med schools thus its more likely that those students are possessing good study skills and habits and more likely becoming competent doctors. Those factors like MCAT and GPA are transparent and objective and thus less prone to personal opinions and biases or favors.

Anyway, to call my posts "supreme ignorant" or me "uneducated American/uneducated non American"is also a charge I think you should not levy lightly either.

All I do is having different opinions and positions than you !!

The problem with your approach is that you penalize one person for being a member of a URM group in medicine and reward another for being a member of an ORM group without concern for any factor other than the person's race. You can dress it in whatever gown you like, my friend, but that is the epitome of racism. You don't give the opportunity for the URM student to "earn [her] place[] fair and square" or to "try[] harder to overcome [her] hardships/disadvantages by becoming the better/best workers or the better/best students." (And, yes, those are your words). Instead, you prejudge her. She's always less than. It's not the system that is broken...

So, yes, I do think your posts are ignorant. You can disagree with affirmative action without condoning overt racism, but you've chosen to advocate racism. Shame. And, no, I never called you uneducated. Sadly, I think you're educated. But I think you've missed the boat on this one. Medical schools need students who represent the whole of society, because doctors will treat patients from all socioeconomic and cultural groups.

The problem with your approach is that you penalize one person for being a member of a URM group in medicine and reward another for being a member of an ORM group without concern for any factor other than the person's race. You can dress it in whatever gown you like, my friend, but that is the epitome of racism. You don't give the opportunity for the URM student to "earn [her] place[] fair and square" or to "try[] harder to overcome [her] hardships/disadvantages by becoming the better/best workers or the better/best students." (And, yes, those are your words). Instead, you prejudge her. She's always less than. It's not the system that is broken...

So, yes, I do think your posts are ignorant. You can disagree with affirmative action without condoning overt racism, but you've chosen to advocate racism. Shame. And, no, I never called you uneducated. Sadly, I think you're educated. But I think you've missed the boat on this one. Medical schools need students who represent the whole of society, because doctors will treat patients from all socioeconomic and cultural groups.

Listen to yourself again. Award who ?? Penalize who ?? Racist ?? Ignorant ?? Prejeudge ?? System broken ?? Chosen to advocate racism ??

is it me you are talking about or you are talking about this very URM admission policy ?? lol :)

you obviously do not even read my posts. Thats ok but do not put words in my mouth.

You obviously do not read the news or the history book. Call me or my posts "ignorant" or un-American. "where were you born and raised??" PUH-lease !!

But you know, in real life, worldwide there is a universal word for taking without earning. Unfortunately, I do not think people like you know that word. Shame.

I will not argue or discuss further with you on this subject. Again, like people like you are more interested on bullying than discussing by dodging my questions and trying put words in my mouth every time... That is low.

I am done discussing this matter with you. Buddy :) lol

Last edited:
http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/reports/diversityreviewevidence.pdf

Recruiting minority physicians has substantial benefits, particularly for the underserved. URM physicians are more likely to work with the underserved than NHSC scholarship recipients, despite having no obligation to do so. There are numerous other benefits, but that is the greatest one to the health care system as a whole. Schools are obligated to provide a mix of physicians that will provide needed care to their target communities, as admissions has far less to do with "who is the smartest student" and far more to do with "who is the right student for the job?" For schools that have any focus on underserved populations whatsoever, enrolling URM physicians can be a key part of upholding their mission.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/reports/diversityreviewevidence.pdf

Recruiting minority physicians has substantial benefits, particularly for the underserved. URM physicians are more likely to work with the underserved than NHSC scholarship recipients, despite having no obligation to do so. There are numerous other benefits, but that is the greatest one to the health care system as a whole. Schools are obligated to provide a mix of physicians that will provide needed care to their target communities, as admissions has far less to do with "who is the smartest student" and far more to do with "who is the right student for the job?" For schools that have any focus on underserved populations whatsoever, enrolling URM physicians can be a key part of upholding their mission.

I like your post here. If you want to discuss this matter respectfully, I am open to that.

But you repeat yourself here.

Please reread @oldanddone 's posts and my posts above.

Please note that I am agree with you and the article you cited about the benefits of increasing URM

I understand and admire the intention of med schools by trying to solve the physician shortage in the underserved area. Like I have said numerous time throughout my posts, this cause is noble and worth pursuing.

However, the current URM policy favoring URM in admission and training to fill stated/unstated quotas BASED on races are wrong in many fronts. Available seats must be open to EVERYONE.

By giving seats selectively, categorically, and consistently to URM based on races, this URM policy is simply wrong by violating people's constitutional rights for equal chance to pursue (med) education and training.

You are saying NHSC scholarship recipients are not likely to work in the reserved area ?? OK, next time, make them sign some contracts to commit to service in those target areas when they are getting those scholarships.

The problem of solving the physician shortage in underserved area should not fall on med schools' shoulders alone. This problem must be solved with the efforts from the whole society.

Trying to diversify the student/doctor pool is great. We can do that with special scholarships to URMs students to recruit and attract them to school.

Whatever schools want to to, "smartest students" or "who is right for the job" or to try to solve the problem of physician shortage in underserved area or want to help URM/disdavantaged students and diversify student/doctor body, do it so that they do not violate people's constitution rights for equal chance to pursue education. Do not base admission on races because it is wrong and illegal.

Please note that while I might agree with the causes above but I might not agree the way or means that they do as there are many alternative options or different ways to achieve those goals/purposes without violating people's rights.

People are realizing that now. The tide is coming.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/why_everyone_is_wrong_about_fi.php?

Last edited:
I like your post here. If you want to discuss this matter respectfully, I am open to that.

But you repeat yourself here.

Please reread @oldanddone 's posts and my posts above.

I understand and admire the intention of med schools by trying to solve the physician shortage in the underserved area. Like I have said numerous time throughout my posts, this cause is noble and worth pursuing.

However, the current URM policy favoring URM in admission and training to fill stated/unstated quotas are wrong in many fronts. Available seats must be open to EVERYONE.

By giving seats selectively, categorically, and consistently to URM based on races, this URM policy is simply wrong by violating people's constitutional rights for equal chance to pursue (med) education and training.

You are saying NHSC scholarship recipients are not likely to work in the reserved area ?? OK, next time, make them sign some contracts to commit to service in those target areas when they are getting those scholarships.

The problem of solving the physician shortage in underserved area should not fall on med schools' shoulders alone. This problem must be solved with the efforts from the whole society.

Trying to diversify the student/doctor pool is great. We can do that with special scholarships to URMs students to recruit and attract them to school.

Whatever schools want to to, "smartest students" or "who is right for the job" or to try to solve the problem of physician shortage in underserved area or want to help URM/disdavantaged students and diversify student/doctor body, do it so that they do not violate people's constitution rights for equal chance to pursue education. Do not base admission on races because it is wrong and illegal.

People are realizing that now. The tide is coming.

There's no quotas involved, so it's not directly illegal per any court decision that currently stands. Given that it's a subjective process, there's not really a way to ensure "fairness," as administrators will always have their discretion in choosing who they believe will be right for the job.

It isn't fair. But nothing is. You're three times more likely to be admitted to a given medical school if you're a legacy, for instance, which is actually far more of an advantage than being a URM affords a person. This, again, happens because of the subjectivity of the process- medical schools may find that the student themselves is lacking a bit academically, but that the school, overall, will benefit from the donations and other benefits their parents might provide the school, thus resulting in an overall net positive for the institution.

We've got a system that provides substantial advantages to the people at the bottom and the top, but doesn't do much for the middle. Yeah, it sucks and it isn't perfect. But preferential admissions make up less than 5% of any given med school class, a small enough number of seats that it doesn't much matter. There is a good chance that any substantial change could have substantially worse results for people overall than the system we have now. Do we want a system that factors in the whole person, as currently exists, or a system that only focuses on the highest numbers? I'd prefer the former to the latter.

There's no quotas involved, so it's not directly illegal per any court decision that currently stands. Given that it's a subjective process, there's not really a way to ensure "fairness," as administrators will always have their discretion in choosing who they believe will be right for the job.

when you aim to have URMs in your student body and try to achieve that goals by using a double standard to give out seats without the students' merits, this is quota even in the case you admit only 1 URM. You are just playing or skirting with the laws by not stating the number you are aiming for.

admission process does not have to be entirely subjective. I've already given you examples. There is nothing but your wish to make it entirely subjective or objective or anything in between.

your saying of "there's not really a way to ensure 'fairness' " is also false. There are ways. If we are taking out "discretion" and using transparent and objective metrics, there will be clear cut in college admission without any confusion.

Mind you, if "discretion" consistently amounts to violating the laws, this is just discrimination in education/employment and I am sure someone will take legal action on it. Plenty of cases out there. Google for your info if you will.

It isn't fair. But nothing is.

Life is not fair, I know. But you know what ?? America is built and fought on the principle of equal opportunity, liberty, and justice for ALL. We have all learned that.

As a whole, we are trying to build, maintain, and protect our country and society based on that principle. Libery, Equality, and Justice for ALL.

You're three times more likely to be admitted to a given medical school if you're a legacy, for instance, which is actually far more of an advantage than being a URM affords a person. This, again, happens because of the subjectivity of the process- medical schools may find that the student themselves is lacking a bit academically, but that the school, overall, will benefit from the donations and other benefits their parents might provide the school, thus resulting in an overall net positive for the institution.

I have already addressed this point of yours above in my previous posts. Legacy, athletes, connection, etc are wrong. More likely than URM or not, to be admitted to med schools, those things are neither regular/frequent occurrences nor systematic.

Buying seats via monetary donations or connections is not OK. That is one of the reasons I think the system is broken and needed to be fixed.

But you have to realize again that the fact that those things are happening does make the URM any less wrong or not wrong.

We've got a system that provides substantial advantages to the people at the bottom and the top, but doesn't do much for the middle. Yeah, it sucks and it isn't perfect.

agree w you here wholeheartedly !! :thumbup::thumbup:

But preferential admissions make up less than 5% of any given med school class, a small enough number of seats that it doesn't much matter. There is a good chance that any substantial change could have substantially worse results for people overall than the system we have now. Do we want a system that factors in the whole person, as currently exists, or a system that only focuses on the highest numbers? I'd prefer the former to the latter.

It might not matter when you do not intentionally do it and things just happen by accident.

When you are trying to achieve this goal by putting a system in place, this does matter. Especially when it is unfair by discrimination based on races and not on merits.

By merits, I do have in mind and take into accounts grades + standardized test scores and other accomplishments that the person EARNS.

You are resorting to the "whole package/whole person" argument again ?? Check the typical URM "whole package" again, you will see if your "whole package" defense are still valid for them. Plenty of examples from their own very words right here in this same very thread and on SDN. You answered to some of them.

So, are their "whole packages" superior than others' "whole packages" ???? Well... But if theirs are, there is absolutely NO reason for the current URM policy in place. But you already know ;)

Whatever you do again, whole person or highest number, EVERYONE must be treated the same. It is only right and fair to ALL. NO discrimination, esp based on races. NO double standard and/or without merits.

Last edited:
when you aim to have URMs in your student body and try to achieve that goals by using a double standard to give out seats without the students' merits, this is quota even in the case you admit only 1 URM. You are just playing or skirting with the laws by not stating the number you are aiming for.

admission process does not have to be entirely subjective. I've already given you examples. There is nothing but your wish to make it entirely subjective or objective or anything in between.

your saying of "there's not really a way to ensure 'fairness' " is false. There are. If we are taking out "discretion" and using transparent and objective metrics, there will be clear cut in college admission without any confusion.

Mind you, if "discretion" consistently amounts to violating the laws, this is just discrimination in education/employment and I am sure someone will take legal action on it. Plenty of cases out there. Google for your info if you will.

Life is not fair, I know. But you know what ?? America is built and fought on the principle of equal opportunity, liberty, and justice to ALL. We have all learned that.

As a whole, we are trying to build, maintain, and protect our country and society based on that principle. Libery, Equality, Justice for ALL.

I have already addressed this point of yours above in my previous posts. Legacy, athletes, connection, etc are wrong. More likely than URM or not, to be admitted to med schools, those things are neither regular/frequent occurrences nor systematic.

Buying seats via monetary donations or connections is not OK. That is one of the reasons I think the system is broken and needed to be fixed.

But you have to realize again that the fact that those things are happening does make the URM any less wrong or not wrong.

It might not matter when you do not intentionally do it and things just happen by accident.

When you are trying to achieve this goal by putting a system in place, this does matter. Especially when it is unfair by discrimination based on races and not on merits.

By merits, I do take into accounts grades + standardized test scores and other accomplishments that the person EARNS.

You are resorting to the "whole package/whole person" argument again ?? Check the typical URM "whole package" again, you will see if your "whole package" defense are still valid for them. Plenty of examples from their own very words right here in this same very thread and on SDN. You answered to some of them.

So their "whole packages" are superior than others' "whole packages" ???? But you know ;)

Whatever you do again, whole person or highest number, EVERYONE must be treated the same. It is only right and fair to ALL. NO discrimination, esp based on races. NO double standard and/or without merits.
The whole package includes who a physician will ultimately care for. That's the point. Their merit is that they are infinitely more likely to serve in underserved areas than ORMs. That meets a need for American society and the school's mission. Believe it or not, med schools take ORMs from severely disadvantaged backgrounds as well, if they show promise to work in underserved areas. There's several types of "disadvantaged" you can claim on the AMCAS and in secondaries.

Medicine isn't about getting the best of the best. It isn't about the doctors. It's about the patients, and having the providers that can give them the care they need. That's why you could never just have an entirely numbers based process- numbers don't tell the whole story, you can have great numbers and be an apathetic psychopath that is just in the field for the money, or have great numbers but be completely lacking in several qualities that are required of a physician.

I guess what bothers me is that there's a lot of people that get into each medical school for unfair reasons, but everyone harps on URMs. Every class usually has more legacy admits than URMs, but no one ever gets up in arms about that. No one gets upset that someone with a more interesting personal statement gets in. No one hates on students that claim other types of hardships. Despite the fact that we have research that shows URM physicians have a place in the medical system that substantially enriches it, they would rather provide patients with lower quality care or no care at all than give them a shot at medical school. That's not behavior that is becoming of a physician- medicine isn't about us, it's about the people we are out there to save and help. You're doing them a disservice by not providing them with the physicians that are best prepared and willing to care for them.

The whole package includes who a physician will ultimately care for. That's the point. Their merit is that they are infinitely more likely to serve in underserved areas than ORMs. That meets a need for American society and the school's mission. Believe it or not, med schools take ORMs from severely disadvantaged backgrounds as well, if they show promise to work in underserved areas. There's several types of "disadvantaged" you can claim on the AMCAS and in secondaries.

Medicine isn't about getting the best of the best. It isn't about the doctors. It's about the patients, and having the providers that can give them the care they need. That's why you could never just have an entirely numbers based process- numbers don't tell the whole story, you can have great numbers and be an apathetic psychopath that is just in the field for the money, or have great numbers but be completely lacking in several qualities that are required of a physician.

I guess what bothers me is that there's a lot of people that get into each medical school for unfair reasons, but everyone harps on URMs. Every class usually has more legacy admits than URMs, but no one ever gets up in arms about that. No one gets upset that someone with a more interesting personal statement gets in. No one hates on students that claim other types of hardships. Despite the fact that we have research that shows URM physicians have a place in the medical system that substantially enriches it, they would rather provide patients with lower quality care or no care at all than give them a shot at medical school. That's not behavior that is becoming of a physician- medicine isn't about us, it's about the people we are out there to save and help. You're doing them a disservice by not providing them with the physicians that are best prepared and willing to care for them.

what you are saying is good and dandy if it is true. But it is false !!

First, whatever the schools want to do, they cannot violate the laws, esp. the supreme laws of the land that is the Constituion/Bill of Rights.

like I have said repeatedly, the current URM policy based on races is ILLEGAL by violating the Constitution/Bill of Rights. I have already given you links to read above. Cases as current as 2012.

But you did not read, didn't you ??

You also did not really read my posts. There are other ways to achieve the goals you stated without violating people's rights. It does not have to be this URM policy based on races.

Secondly, I think we should train and prepare our physicians of all races and backgrounds so that they are compassionate, open, and willing to serve ALL patients regardless of races and backgrounds.
That is the goal med schools should aim for to solve the problem of the physician shortage in underserved areas and to serve our society as a whole. Not selectively train physicians of certain races to some particular population.

Trying to solve that problem by this current race-based URM policy are wrong because it is violating people's constitutional rights and creating entitlement by rewarding admission without merits on the expenses of other more qualified and competitive students. Solving problems by creating more problem and even by violating the laws is not the right way to go. Esp there are other ways to achieve the goals they want without violating people's rights by unfair and unequal treatments.

FYI, if you check, many other countries around the world (France, Germany for examples) do base their med school admission entirely on numbers. Do they have more doctor psychopaths than the US ?? Are their physicians after money more than the doctors in the US ?? Are their physician generally lacking qualities to be a good physician, less compassionate, patient, caring, devoting, dedicating, etc to patients than the doctors in the US ??

The more "subjective" "discretion" the admission process is, the more prone it is to personal opinions, biases, and favors. We all know this.

Yes, we should get up in arms when we see the system is broken like when we see more legacy or people with connections get admitted over more qualified and competitive students. Because that is wrong.

The point is, as a society we do not racial discrimination. We want color-blind and merit-based in education and work opportunity. We want equal opportunity and not entitlement or privilege. We want people to be judged on their own merits and hard work, and not on the color of their skin. This is the principle of this country's Constitution/Bill of Rights which we all are fighting to protect.

what you are saying is good and dandy if it is true. But it is false !!

First, whatever the schools want to do, they cannot violate the laws, esp. the supreme laws of the land that is the Constituion/Bill of Rights.

like I have said repeatedly, the current URM policy based on races is ILLEGAL by violating the Constitution/Bill of Rights. I have already given you links to read above. Cases as current as 2012.

But you did not read, didn't you ??

You also did not really read my posts. There are other ways to achieve the goals you stated without violating people's rights. It does not have to be this URM policy based on races.

Secondly, I think we should train and prepare our physicians of all races and backgrounds so that they are compassionate, open, and willing to serve ALL patients regardless of races and backgrounds.
That is the goal med schools should aim for to solve the problem of the physician shortage in underserved areas and to serve our society as a whole. Not selectively train physicians of certain races to some particular population.

Trying to solve that problem by this current race-based URM policy are wrong because it is violating people's constitutional rights. Solving problems by creating more problem and even by violating the laws is not the right way to go.

FYI, if you check, many other countries around the world (France, Germany for examples) do base their med school admission entirely on numbers. Do they have more doctor psychopaths than the US ?? Are their physicians after money more than the doctors in the US ?? Are their physician generally lacking qualities to be a good physician, less compassionate, patient, caring, devoting, dedicating, etc to patients than the doctors in the US ??

The more "subjective" "discretion" the admission process is, the more prone it is to personal opinions, biases, and favors. We all know this.

Yes, we should get up in arms when we see the system is broken like when we see more legacy or people with connections get admitted over more qualified and competitive students. Because that is wrong.

The point is, as a society we do not racial discrimination. We want color-blind and merit-based in education and work opportunity. We want equal opportunity and not entitlement or privilege. We want people to be judged on their own merits and hard work, and not on the color of their skin. This is the principle of this country's Constitution/Bill of Rights which we all are fighting to protect.
Seriously, if you'd met some of the people I interviewed alongside or was in group interviews with, you'd understand why numbers aren't everything. There was this one kid that was brilliant but completely unable to talk to people. Another that was clearly a jerk that shouldn't ever be working with vulnerable people. These are character traits- you don't teach someone to not be so shy that they can barely talk, nor do you teach someone to not be an ass, or how to interact with people. That isn't the job of medical school. It is to find people who have the personalities and qualifications to be successful physicians. There are plenty of people that get rejected every year with high stats, such as one girl recently that had over ten interviews and nearly perfect stats and ECs- she didn't get admitted for a reason, and likely one that had to do with a personality that had no place in medicine. That's why we need interviews. That's why we need subjectivity. Because medicine is about a whole lot more than just brains.

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously, if you'd met some of the people I interviewed alongside or was in group interviews with, you'd understand why numbers aren't everything. There was this one kid that was brilliant but completely unable to talk to people. Another that was clearly a jerk that shouldn't ever be working with vulnerable people. These are character traits- you don't teach someone to not be so shy that they can barely talk, nor do you teach someone to not be an ass, or how to interact with people. That isn't the job of medical school. It is to find people who have the personalities and qualifications to be successful physicians. There are plenty of people that get rejected every year with high stats, such as one girl recently that had over ten interviews and nearly perfect stats and ECs- she didn't get admitted for a reason, and likely one that had to do with a personality that had no place in medicine. That's why we need interviews. That's why we need subjectivity. Because medicine is about a whole lot more than just brains.

this is another matter of debate. While I might agree with some of your saying here, like I have said above, countries which base their college admission based entirely on numbers seem not to have the problems you are mentioning here.

I have been on some interviews where people hated me already just by first look. Where at other interviews, I was liked and welcome.

We do not want personal opinions, biases and favors. Because everyone's opinion, biases, and favors are different and unfair to ALL.

But I understand what you are saying here. That, however, is not a problem.

The problem is discrimination, double standard and unfair treatments based on races w the current URM admission policy. That is wrong and illegal.

whatever rules of the game you want to do, numbers + interviews + etc, treat everyone the SAME and EQUALLY !!

this is another matter of debate. While I might agree with some of your saying here, like I have said above, countries which base their college admission based entirely on numbers seem not to have the problems you are mentioning here.

I have been on some interviews where people hate me already just by first look. Where at other interviews, I was liked and welcome.

We do not want personal opinions, biases and favors. Because everyone's opinion, biases, and favors are different and unfair to ALL.

But I understand what you are saying here. That, however, is not a problem.

The problem is discrimination, double standard and unfair treatments based on races w the current URM admission. That is wrong and illegal.

whatever rules of the game you want to do, numbers + interviews + etc, treat everyone the SAME and EQUALLY !!
Until we get a Supreme Court ruling banning the designation of URM status on med school applications entirely, nah.

Until we get a Supreme Court ruling banning the designation of URM status on med school applications entirely, nah.

you can bet on that one !! I am sure someone is doing something right now !!

I am doing my part by bringing awareness and realization of this issue to the public. Nobody can do this alone.

you can bet on that one !! I am sure someone is doing something right now !!
People have been trying to do something for 25 years. I'm all for the status quo myself, as there are often socioeconomic inequalities that result in students being given a substantial educational advantage when compared to their peers. By switching to a largely numbers-based approach, you would be favoring those who could afford private school for their children, expensive prep courses, etc, which is a far less fair system overall than the one that currently exists, as factors beyond a student's control largely determine whether they have the resources available to be successful.

People have been trying to do something for 25 years. I'm all for the status quo myself, as there are often socioeconomic inequalities that result in students being given a substantial educational advantage when compared to their peers.

25 or 50 0r 100 yrs or however long that is not a matter. We are trying until things are done right.

By switching to a largely numbers-based approach, you would be favoring those who could afford private school for their children, expensive prep courses, etc, which is a far less fair system overall than the one that currently exists, as factors beyond a student's control largely determine whether they have the resources available to be successful.

you are wrong here.

The number-based system ensures/guarantees transparency that leads to being objective and fair to ALL in college admission. No more personal biases, opinions, or favors to any group.

I have also given the Asian example. You yourself admit that Asian students are very competitive in college/med school admission. They are the minorities in America. Many if not most of them are from disadvantaged backgrounds such as coming from war-torn areas, being late comers to this country, experiencing racial discrimination, poor upbringing, all right here and right now in America, you name it. But they overcome those disadvantages and obstacles. They do not have URM status. Most of them do not have expensive and private schools or tutoring.

Ask yourself why and how they achieve such feats without extra help and without URM status. Personally I think they take on the responsibility to make their marks in this world themselves and work harder and harder until they get what they want on their own merits. No complain. No whining. That is admirable !!

Another well know example, Bill Clinton. You either have read enough about him, his upbringing, disadvantages/obstacles and his achievements or can google or buy books to read about. I am not going to list all that here... He did not have private schools or special prep courses. How did he do it ??

more examples like that around if you want to find...

If they can do it, others can do it !!

However, we can ensure a level playing field for students from disadvantaged backgrounds regardless of races by other measures such as special assisting/prep programs. Personally, I know several medical schools have those assisting programs to disadvantaged/URM students currently in place and running.

To effectively compensate for the disadvantaged background, we need to the efforts and work from the whole society. More programs and efforts like the ones I've just mentioned above should be implemented throughout our society. More importantly, our public school system should be revamped to prep the students for college and to help them to enter life with competitiveness and competency. Same should be done for our welfare system. Tax system. Et cetera.

But all people must be treated equally under the same rules.

It is and must be the entire effort and work from the society as a whole. Med schools cannot solve this alone. It will be long but the right way to go.

It should not be this current race-based URM policy in admission and training. Now you are helping some disadvantaged students by making other students disadvantaged by your double standard in admission, one with merits and one without.

It is not clear and fair to ALL at all where med schools are currently making the cut to compensate by favoring URMs over other more qualified and competitive students, esp. it is based on races.

(I can see it goes like, oh ya MCAT 20s, nah not enough maybe 15 or 10 ?? c'mon that is not enough we never had the chance to prep for the MCAT since birth so please do ask for our MCAT and look at how many baseball/football team that we have coached... OOOKKK.... lol jk but hopefully you see what I am saying here...)

Last edited:
25 or 50 0r 100 yrs or however long that is not a matter. We are trying until things are done right.

you are wrong here.

The number-based system ensures/guarantees transparency that leads to being objective and fair to ALL in college admission. No more personal biases, opinions, or favors to any group.

I have also given the Asian example. You yourself admit that Asian students are very competitive in college/med school admission. Many if not most of them are from disadvantaged backgrounds such as coming from war-torn areas, being late comers to this country, experiencing racial discrimination, poor upbringing, all right here and right now in America, you name it. But they overcome those disadvantages and obstacles. They do not have URM status. Most of them do not have expensive and private schools or tutoring.

Ask yourself why and how they achieve such feats without extra help and without URM status. Personally I think they take on the responsibility to make their marks in this world themselves and work harder and harder until they get what they want on their own merits. No complain. No whining. That is admirable !!

Another example, Bill Clinton. You either have read enough about him, his upbringing, disadvantages/obstacles and his achievements or can google or buy books to read about. I am not going to list all that here...

If they can do it, others can do it !!

However, we can ensure a level playing field for students from disadvantaged backgrounds regardless of races by other measures such as special assisting/prep programs. Personally, I know several medical schools have those assisting programs to disadvantaged/URM students currently in place and running.

To effectively compensate for the disadvantaged background, we need to the efforts and work from the whole society. More programs and efforts like the ones I've just mentioned above should be implemented throughout our society. More importantly, our public school system should be revamped to prep the students for college and to help them to enter life with competitiveness and competency. Same should be done for our welfare system. Tax system. Et cetera.

But all people must be treated equally under the same rules.

It is and must be the entire effort and work from the society as a whole. Med schools cannot solve this alone. It will be long but the right way to go.

It should not be this current race-based URM policy in admission and training. Now you are helping some disadvantaged students by making other students disadvantaged by your double standard in admission, one with merits and one without.

It is not clear and fair to ALL at all where med schools are currently making the cut to compensate by favoring URMs over other more qualified and competitive students, esp. it is based on races.

(I can see it goes like, oh ya MCAT 20s, nah not enough maybe 15 or 10 ?? c'mon that is not enough we never had the chance to prep for the MCAT since birth so please do ask for our MCAT and look at how many baseball/football team that we have coached... OOOKKK.... lol jk but hopefully you see what I am saying here...)
Treating everyone equal in a world in which equality does not currently exist will simply exacerbate inequality. Not all home environments, educational systems, parents, and socioeconomic backgrounds are equal. It's been shown time and time again that Asian students largely succeed due to sociocultural factors that are completely lacking in other communities. Youth do not get to choose the culture in which they are raised, nor who their parents are, nor their economic status growing up. Any move to a purely objective system would simply further entrench the privileged class that currently holds the vast majority of medical school seats.

Reactions: 4 users
Treating everyone equal in a world in which equality does not currently exist will simply exacerbate inequality. Not all home environments, educational systems, parents, and socioeconomic backgrounds are equal. It's been shown time and time again that Asian students largely succeed due to sociocultural factors that are completely lacking in other communities. Youth do not get to choose the culture in which they are raised, nor who their parents are, nor their economic status growing up. Any move to a purely objective system would simply further entrench the privileged class that currently holds the vast majority of medical school seats.

You are only right about admitting that this current race-based URM is not treating everyone fairly and equally.

if we want fairness to ALL, we start now in everything we are doing. Unfair is unfair and it will be forever unfair and will not to make anything fair.

I agree with you that Asian students are successful because of some good sociocultural factors of their own. They are the minority in the whole America and they are successful. So why others are not learning and/or emulating them and building similar socialcultural factors/structures in their communities that are lacking those ??

We cannot change the cultures or individual homes, but we can create a supporting and encouraging structure at large as a whole society to encourage ALL people to advance their life. Again, our school system, welfare system, tax system, etc.

We have to also encourage people to take responsibility and charge for their own lives and not depend on entitlements or favors regardless of races.
We can teach this principle in kindergarten, grade and high schools. We can promote this in media to bring awareness. As a whole country, America takes responsibility and charge for its own destiny and does not depend or wait on any favors, help, or handout from any other nation. We need to remind everyone and every home in America this principle.

We need to do right things NOW. Want Fairness and Justice ?? Treat others with fairness and justice NOW.

Want nobody judge you on the color of your skin but on your individual hard work and achievements ?? Compete with others not on the basic of your skin color but on your own merits. EARN your marks.

This is the spirit that this country is founded on !!

In my example above, if Bill Clinton had blamed on no URM status/favors, no rich parents, no special treatments or upbringing, no expensive prep courses or private schools, I am 100% sure that he would not have excelled in everything he tries and become the 42nd President of United State of America :)

Last edited:
You are only right about admitting that this current race-based URM is not treating everyone fairly and equally.

if we want fairness to ALL, we start now in everything we are doing. Unfair is unfair and it will be forever unfair and will not to make anything fair.

I agree with you that Asian students such as because of other sociocultural factors. They are the minority in the whole America. So why others are not emulating them and building similar socialcultural factors/structures in their communities that are lacking those ??

We cannot change the cultures or individual homes, but we can create a supporting and encouraging structure at large as a whole society to encourage ALL people to advance their life. Again, our school system, welfare system, tax system, etc.

We have to also encourage people to take responsibility and charge for their own lives and not depend on entitlements or favors regardless of races.
We can teach this principle in kindergarten, grade and high schools. We can promote this in media to bring awareness. As a whole country, America takes responsibility and charge for its own destiny and do not depend or wait on favors, help, or handout from any other nation. We need to remind everyone and every home in America this principle.

We need to do right thing NOW. Want Fairness and Justice ?? Treat others with fairness and justice NOW.

Want nobody judge you on the color of your skin but on your individual hard work and achievements ?? Compete with others not on the basic of your skin color but on your own merits. EARN your marks.

This is the spirit that country is founded on !!

In my example above, if Bill Clinton had blamed on no URM status/favors, no rich parents, no special treatments or upbringing, no expensive prep courses or private schools, I am 100% sure that he would not have not excelled in everything he tries and become the 42nd President of United State of America :)
Med school adcoms can't right every wrong in the world leading up to the application process, so they work with what they've got to balance things as best as they're able. When society finally reaches the point that URM status isn't needed, it will be removed from consideration.

Med school adcoms can't right every wrong in the world leading up to the application process, so they work with what they've got to balance things as best as they're able. When society finally reaches the point that URM status isn't needed, it will be removed from consideration.

exactly. Med school adcoms can't right every wrong in the world.

You are implying that the current race-based URM admission policy is the ONLY solution to the URM problem. Wrong. Read my previous posts again.

There are many other solutions. It does not have to be this race-based URM admission policy.

But like I have already said, whatever you do, do what you can or whatever, but do not violate people's rights !! Med schools are not above the supreme law of the land that is the Constitution/Bill of Rights to do whatever they want, esp when they are discriminating students based on races and infringing on people's liberty and rights to equal chance in medical school admission, education and training by not letting everyone to compete fairly and equally.

Again, people have already started doing something regarding this issue. I am doing my part to bring awareness and realization of this issue to the public whenever I can. Things will change when enough people truly realize what is happening here !!

exactly. Med school adcoms can't right every wrong in the world.

You are implying that the current race-based URM admission policy is the ONLY solution to the URM problem. Wrong. Read my previous posts again.

There are many other solutions. It does not have to be this race-based URM admission policy.

But like I have already said, whatever you do, do what you can or whatever, but do not violate people's rights !! Med schools are not above the supreme law of the land that is the Constitution/Bill of Rights to do whatever they want, esp when they are discriminating students based on races and infringing on people's liberty and rights to equal chance in medical school admission, education and training by not letting everyone to compete fairly and equally.

Again, people have already started doing something regarding this issue. I am doing my part to bring awareness and realization of this issue to the public whenever I can. Things will change when enough people truly realize what is happening here !!
You can always find a new way to basically ensure that URMs are recruited, be it based on income, the zip code they come from, etc. Making it no longer race-based won't change a thing, except in name.

You can always find a new way to basically ensure that URMs are recruited, be it based on income, the zip code they come from, etc. Making it no longer race-based won't change a thing, except in name.

and that is also WRONG because you are still treating people unequally and unfairly in the admission process. That is discrimination in education and training by favoring some particular groups without merits regardless of the ground your basic is on.

The principle of this country is to ensure everyone to afford equal opportunity to education, work, and other pursuits of life and happiness without infringing on the rights to equal opportunity to do the same of others.

you want to help URMs from disadvantage backgrounds ?? There are other ways to help, which are fair to ALL. Why keep insisting on a way that violates people's rights ?????

and that is also WRONG because you are still treating people unequally and unfairly in the admission process. That is discrimination in education and training by favoring some particular groups without merits regardless of the ground your basic is on.

The principle of this country is to ensure everyone to afford equal opportunity to education, work, and other pursuits of life and happiness without infringing on the rights to equal opportunity to do the same of others.

you want to help URMs from disadvantage backgrounds ?? There are other ways to help, which are fair to ALL. Why keep insisting on a way that violates people's rights ?????
As long as you don't base it on race, it may be discrimination, but it's legal discrimination, which I'm fine with, as income and zip code aren't federally protected. You don't have a legal right to be a physician any more than you have one to be an underwear model or a Hooters waitress. You're idealistic, but ideals are often not reflective of the real world, which is ugly, unfair, and requires some balancing to compensate for. In a perfect world, your way would be the way to do things, but the world is far from perfect.

"In Bakke, the Court held that racial quotas are unconstitutional, but that educational institutions could legally use race as one of many factors to consider in their admissions process. In Grutter and Gratz, the Court upheld both Bakke as a precedent and the admissions policy of the University of Michigan Law School. In dicta, however, Justice O'Connor, writing for the Court, said she expected that in 25 years, racial preferences would no longer be necessary. In Gratz, the Court invalidated Michigan's undergraduate admissions policy, on the grounds that unlike the law school's policy, which treated race as one of many factors in an admissions process that looked to the individual applicant, the undergraduate policy used a point system that was excessively mechanistic."

It's already been to the Supreme court, multiple times. Medical and Law schools are actually held to a different standard, due to the critical services that they provide for society, in which not only the individual, but the greater good of entire communities must be considered. In the future, race will likely no longer be needed as an inclusion factor, but the Supreme Court has upheld it as an acceptable criteria for the time being.

As long as you don't base it on race, it may be discrimination, but it's legal discrimination, which I'm fine with, as income and zip code aren't federally protected. You don't have a legal right to be a physician any more than you have one to be an underwear model or a Hooters waitress. You're idealistic, but ideals are often not reflective of the real world, which is ugly, unfair, and requires some balancing to compensate for. In a perfect world, your way would be the way to do things, but the world is far from perfect.

I am glad that you admit that my way is the way to do thing (in the perfect world or whatever) lol :)

all kidding asides, you are right that not all discrimination is illegal. However, discrimination in education and employment by not letting ALL people to compete fairly and equally under the same rule and treatment) are ILLEGAL discrimination, esp when you are using double standard to favor some particular groups of your choosing to not let everyone to compete fairly and equally.

This applies to med school admission and Hooter's employment policy. I do not know about other Hooters but I am sure Hooters of America is an equal opportunity employer. Or at least they are claiming for :)

I hate to write long so I suggest you google for your info. Plenty of cases and info you can read about this issue.

I am glad that you admit that my way is the way to do thing (in the perfect world or whatever) lol :)

all kidding asides, you are right that not all discrimination is illegal. However, discrimination in education and employment by not letting ALL people to compete fairly and equally under the same rule and treatment) are ILLEGAL discrimination, esp when you are using double standard to favor some particular groups of your choosing to not let everyone to compete fairly and equally.

This applies to med school admission and Hooter's employment policy. I do not know about other Hooters but I am sure Hooters of America is an equal opportunity employer. Or at least they are claiming for :)

I hate to write long so I suggest you google for your info. Plenty of cases and info you can read about this issue.
Try applying to Hooters or an underwear model as a fat guy. You don't have what they're looking for, they aren't hiring you. Call it sex discrimination or fat discrimination or whatever the hell you want, but the simple fact is, you're not the one they want.

Considering that the Supreme Court determines the law of the land, here is what they have ruled is acceptable and not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger (Acceptable URM policy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratz_v._Bollinger (Unacceptable URM policy)

They decide what is law, not you, so, yeah- URMs being afforded special treatment is perfectly acceptable and will likely remain so until society treats URMs fairly in general.

"In Bakke, the Court held that racial quotas are unconstitutional, but that educational institutions could legally use race as one of many factors to consider in their admissions process. In Grutter and Gratz, the Court upheld both Bakke as a precedent and the admissions policy of the University of Michigan Law School. In dicta, however, Justice O'Connor, writing for the Court, said she expected that in 25 years, racial preferences would no longer be necessary. In Gratz, the Court invalidated Michigan's undergraduate admissions policy, on the grounds that unlike the law school's policy, which treated race as one of many factors in an admissions process that looked to the individual applicant, the undergraduate policy used a point system that was excessively mechanistic."

It's already been to the Supreme court, multiple times. Medical and Law schools are actually held to a different standard, due to the critical services that they provide for society, in which not only the individual, but the greater good of entire communities must be considered.

where does it say Medical and Law schools are actually held to different standards ??

if you read it closely, it says that the point system which was used in UM's undegrad policy was excessively mechanistic. If their law school's policy had used the same point system instead of just racial preferences, it would also have been struck down.

In the future, race will likely no longer be needed as an inclusion factor, but the Supreme Court has upheld it as an acceptable criteria for the time being.

yes, but no obvious quota or numbers.

Racial preferences would be ok according to the recent Supreme Court's judgment if med school picked a URM candidate over another student whose stats and credentials are the same.

The current race-base URM consistently and categorically favors URMs based on races and applying lower admission standards for URM.

IMHO, when you consistently and categorically do this, this will create enough patterns and numbers to base a discrimination case on :)

Try applying to Hooters or an underwear model as a fat guy. You don't have what they're looking for, they aren't hiring you. Call it sex discrimination or fat discrimination or whatever the hell you want, but the simple fact is, you're not the one they want.

Considering that the Supreme Court determines the law of the land, here is what they have ruled is acceptable and not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger (Acceptable URM policy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratz_v._Bollinger (Unacceptable URM policy)

They decide what is law, not you, so, yeah- URMs being afforded special treatment is perfectly acceptable and will likely remain so until society treats URMs fairly in general.

They are not determining the law of the land. They interpret the law of the land.

Congress writes the laws. The Constitution is the Supreme law of the land.

And you obviously did not even read what you cited above. Read this again,

"Law adopted post case
Following the decision, petitions were circulated to change the Michigan State Constitution. The measure, called the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative, or Proposal 2, passed and precluded the use of race in the Law School admissions processes. In this respect, Proposal 2 is similar to California's Proposition 209 and Washington's Initiative 200, other initiatives that also banned the use of race in public university admissions decisions.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit overturned MCRI on July 1, 2011. Judges R. Guy Cole Jr. and Martha Craig Daughtrey said that "Proposal 2 reorders the political process in Michigan to place special burdens on minority interests." This decision was upheld by the full Court of Appeals on November 16, 2012. Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said he will appeal the court ruling to the Supreme Court.[2]

On March 25, 2013 the Supreme Court granted a writ of certiorari, agreeing to hear the case. The Court ultimately upheld MCRI in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action.[3]"

where does it say Medical and Law schools are actually held to different standards ??

if you read it closely, it says that the point system which was used in UM's undegrad policy was excessively mechanistic. If their law school's policy had used the same point system instead of just racial preferences, it would also have been struck down.

yes, but no obvious quota or numbers.

Racial preferences would be ok according to the recent Supreme Court's judgment if med school picked a URM candidate over another student whose stats and credentials are the same.

The current race-base URM consistently and categorically favors URMs based on races and applying lower admission standards for URM.

IMHO, when you consistently and categorically do this, this will create enough patterns and numbers to base a discrimination case on :)
"The Court's majority ruling, authored by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, held that the United States Constitution "does not prohibit the law school's narrowly tailored use of race in admissions decisions to further a compelling interest in obtaining the educational benefits that flow from a diverse student body." The Court held that the law school's interest in obtaining a "critical mass" of minority students was indeed a "tailored use"."

Prior to this case, the "compelling interest" required to justify affirmative action has been correcting the effects of historic discrimination. Put another way, affirmative action was intended to "benefit" black people or other groups facing historic discrimination.

By contrast, in the majority decision, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor held that the compelling interest at hand lay in "obtaining the educational benefits that flow from a diverse student body."

Two cases in 2003 involving the University of Michigan found that the university's policy of granting extra points to minorities for undergraduate admissions was unconstitutional (Gratz v. Bollinger) but that a program which gave holistic consideration for being a certain racial minority, though not an automatic boost, in admissions to the law school was constitutional (Grutter v. Bollinger).

"The cumulative effect of the Bakke, Grutter, and Bollinger cases is that no one has a legal right to have any demographic characteristic they possess be considered a favorable point on their behalf, but an employer has a right to take into account the goals of the organization and the interests of American society in making decisions. This is a moderate, inclusive position that ably balances the various legal interests involved."

They are not determining the law of the land. They interpret the law of the land.

Congress writes the laws. The Constitution is the Supreme law of the land.

And you obviously did not even read what you cited above. Read this again,

"Law adopted post case
Following the decision, petitions were circulated to change the Michigan State Constitution. The measure, called the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative, or Proposal 2, passed and precluded the use of race in the Law School admissions processes. In this respect, Proposal 2 is similar to California's Proposition 209 and Washington's Initiative 200, other initiatives that also banned the use of race in public university admissions decisions.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit overturned MCRI on July 1, 2011. Judges R. Guy Cole Jr. and Martha Craig Daughtrey said that "Proposal 2 reorders the political process in Michigan to place special burdens on minority interests." This decision was upheld by the full Court of Appeals on November 16, 2012. Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said he will appeal the court ruling to the Supreme Court.[2]

On March 25, 2013 the Supreme Court granted a writ of certiorari, agreeing to hear the case. The Court ultimately upheld MCRI in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action.[3]"
The Supreme Court is the ultimate arbiter as to the application of laws. They can deem laws unconstitutional, even if passed by Congress, and can throw them out entirely. They can determine that a law, as written, is being interpreted improperly. They hold ultimate sway over what is and is not within the bounds of the Constitution and what is and is just. Given that you're not a Supreme Court Justice, I'd say that their opinion counts a hell of a lot more than yours in regard to what is and is not legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.