General Admissions & OTCAS Third time re-applying: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alh2016

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my third time applying to OT schools in the upcoming cycle. For a while I considered not applying again as it has been a super defeating process, but I am hoping that I have done enough to improve my chances and get in to a program this go around. What do y'all think?!

After retaking some courses, my pre-req GPA ranges from a 3.6-3.8 depending on the school. I have worked PRN over 2 years as a Therapy Tech in outpatient, acute care and rehab settings. My observation hours are 60 pediatric outpatient, 62 rehab, 20 skilled nursing and 20 home health. I have letters of recommendation coming from OTs, the director of therapy and the CEO of the hospital.

Planning on applying to Texas schools (TWU, Tech, UT El Paso, UT San Antonio, UTMB) and open to other programs as well.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Do you think this will be my year to get in?!

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply to some lower rung schools like USA Austin if you really want to become an OT at this point. USA-Austin is expensive compared to UT so I would just do OTA in the area if you are trapped in the region. I know FL has a lot of people not getting in due to the number of qualified applicants.

Is your application different from the last time you applied? What significant changes?

If no meaningful change I would hold off for a year and do something to beef your app up.

This will be my third time applying to OT schools in the upcoming cycle. For a while I considered not applying again as it has been a super defeating process, but I am hoping that I have done enough to improve my chances and get in to a program this go around. What do y'all think?!

After retaking some courses, my pre-req GPA ranges from a 3.6-3.8 depending on the school. I have worked PRN over 2 years as a Therapy Tech in outpatient, acute care and rehab settings. My observation hours are 60 pediatric outpatient, 62 rehab, 20 skilled nursing and 20 home health. I have letters of recommendation coming from OTs, the director of therapy and the CEO of the hospital.

Planning on applying to Texas schools (TWU, Tech, UT El Paso, UT San Antonio, UTMB) and open to other programs as well.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Do you think this will be my year to get in?!

Never give up if OT is really what you want to do! Sounds like you are on the right track. The additional hours, work experience and improved GPA will definitely work in your favor!
Some advice I would give would be to get your applications in early. If you are using the OTCAS for any of your applications get the notice sent out to those people you are asking for recommendations early so they have time to complete them.
Be open to other schools, if you are applying through OTCAS often you can submit to multiple schools with 1 application. You will find a school out there that wants you and that fit/works for you, it might not be the school you expect.
So keep an open mind, continue doing what you are doing, write an awesome personal statement and stay positive!
Best of Luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise you to apply to a program that is on its way to being accredited .
People will always argue against but for someone like me who prerequisite gpa and gre were lower average that was my only option.
I've been accepted into a program that became accredited after I started my application.
Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith . Also apply early !

do you have a lower under-grad gpa?? based on what you have mentioned idk how you're not in a program. i agree with the above who said to widen your search. lesser known/more expensive schools?

it's becoming a mystery to me how these schools look at apps. I had a friend this year get into NYU with a 3.2 gpa and around 50 volunteer hours while another girl was waitlisted with a 3.9 and almost 100 hours (not great but still more than 50). sooooo, apply to NYU? idk.

Reactions: 1 users
do you have a lower under-grad gpa?? based on what you have mentioned idk how you're not in a program. i agree with the above who said to widen your search. lesser known/more expensive schools?

it's becoming a mystery to me how these schools look at apps. I had a friend this year get into NYU with a 3.2 gpa and around 50 volunteer hours while another girl was waitlisted with a 3.9 and almost 100 hours (not great but still more than 50). sooooo, apply to NYU? idk.

Although GPA and hours observed matter greatly, I find that once the minimums are met, it's fair game with the essay and LOR's, which can have a school choose the lower GPA/lower hours over someone else with higher GPA/more hours. If a person can explain themselves clearly on their intention with OT and the LOR's are descriptive (not generic) of a person, that really makes a big difference. With NYU, they practically don't have minimums for every statistic, which is pretty cool because they really look at the application as a whole.

OP, I suggest finding schools with NYU-like criteria, but if you're unwilling to move out of Texas, you might be out of luck.

You should apply to some lower rung schools like USA Austin if you really want to become an OT at this point. USA-Austin is expensive compared to UT so I would just do OTA in the area if you are trapped in the region. I know FL has a lot of people not getting in due to the number of qualified applicants.

Is your application different from the last time you applied? What significant changes?

If no meaningful change I would hold off for a year and do something to beef your app up.

I have made some changes since my first application. I have improved my pre-req GPA from a 3.0 to a 3.7 and have increased my observation hours from 50 to about 200 since I last applied. Definitely have considered OTA due to low cost and if I don't get in this year that will be the path I take! Unfortunately have to stay in Texas for personal reasons so I will look at USA. Thanks for your advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Never give up if OT is really what you want to do! Sounds like you are on the right track. The additional hours, work experience and improved GPA will definitely work in your favor!
Some advice I would give would be to get your applications in early. If you are using the OTCAS for any of your applications get the notice sent out to those people you are asking for recommendations early so they have time to complete them.
Be open to other schools, if you are applying through OTCAS often you can submit to multiple schools with 1 application. You will find a school out there that wants you and that fit/works for you, it might not be the school you expect.
So keep an open mind, continue doing what you are doing, write an awesome personal statement and stay positive!
Best of Luck!!!
Thanks for your encouragement!!! It is so easy to feel defeated by this process but I'm definitely trying to stay positive and work on that personal statement this go around.

I would advise you to apply to a program that is on its way to being accredited .
People will always argue against but for someone like me who prerequisite gpa and gre were lower average that was my only option.
I've been accepted into a program that became accredited after I started my application.
Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith . Also apply early !
I'm definitely keeping my eye on newer programs. I know UT Tyler is an applicant program right now and I'm curious as to when they will reach candidacy status and start admitting students because I would definitely consider their program! Just don't know the time frame it takes for a program to go from applicant to candidacy

I'm definitely keeping my eye on newer programs. I know UT Tyler is an applicant program right now and I'm curious as to when they will reach candidacy status and start admitting students because I would definitely consider their program! Just don't know the time frame it takes for a program to go from applicant to candidacy
My program usually took about 2-3 years . I would wait until they reach CANDIDACY status before applying.
There first inaugural class will usually graduate pretty close in time to official accreditation.