Third time reapplicant (3.65 gpa, 30 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinkachu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I reapplied this past cycle and unfortunately was not accepted anywhere. I earned 4 IIs and 2 WLs which is up from my previous cycle of just 2 IIs and 2 WLs. I think a lot of it had to do with getting more clinical experience and vastly improving my personal statement. I took biochemistry and physiology and got As (was told to add more biology classes last cycle).

1. Stats
- GPA 3.65 cumulative with a 3.55 science. Nuclear Engineering Major.
- MCAT Jan. 2013: 26 (10/9/7)
- MCAT Sept. 2013: 25 (10/7/8)
- MCAT Jan. 2014: 30 (12/9/9)

2. ECs and LORs
- 2000+ hours as an ER scribe and trainer
- 200+ hours as cardiologist/family doc scribe and trainer
- 100 hours doing nuclear engineering research
- 10 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist
- 350 hours as ER volunteer
- 200 hours as free clinic volunteer
- 1000 hours working at a golf range
- Solid letter from science professor and non-science professor, probably average letter from a different science professor, great letter from doctor I scribed with

3. Schools I applied to (TN resident)
ETSU Quillen
EVMS
Indiana SOM
Medical College of Wisconsin
MUSC
NYMC
Oakland William Beaumont SOM
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
USF
UAB
University of Arkansas
UCF
UIC- Chicago
UK
University of Louisville
USC - Columbia
USC - Greenville
UTHSC - Memphis
VCU
Wake Forest
WVU
Wright State

4. IIs/Decisions
ETSU Quillen – II and waitlist
Rosalind Franklin – II and post-interview rejection
Oakland William Beaumont SOM – II and post-interview rejection
UTHSC - Memphis – II and waitlist

I called the schools and received fairly generic advice of continuing what I was doing, take some more biology classes, etc. I think my weak point is interviewing... I have continued most of my activities but haven't done anything really new the past year to warrant reapplying this upcoming cycle. Not sure how much I could change up my personal statement either. I was thinking about doing UTHSC's masters of pharmacology program (15k, no linkage, includes two classes with medical students) or taking the new MCAT, then apply in 2017. Any advice on what to do next is appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest problem I see here is that you mostly applied to public schools outside your home state. Your chances at such schools are worse than at private schools. I see only 8 schools on your list where you had any real chance.

I like the pharm masters idea. Or apply DO.

A better MCAT score would obviously make a huge difference, but that's not a given if you retake. Tough call. Basically you're being viewed as a board exam risk, but that's worse if the 4th score isn't above average.

Best of luck to you.

Your school list is a big problem!
I would say that the bolded schools are places where you never had a chance. Remember that public universities want to take OOS students because they increase their stats, diversity, etc.

You also have an average MCAT score of 27, which is DOA for most MD programs. I strongly urge you to add a liberal amount of DO schools next time.

ETSU Quillen
EVMS
Indiana SOM
MUSC
NYMC
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
USF
UAB
University of Arkansas
UCF
UIC- Chicago
UK
University of Louisville
USC - Columbia
USC - Greenville

UTHSC - Memphis
VCU
Wake Forest
WVU
Wright State

Members don't see this ad :)
I see this as coming down to two things.

1) Interviews. Youve had 6 interviews. Youre 0/6. It's hard to argue this isnt at least playing some role in what's hurting you.
2) The MCAT history. Your average is a 27. Your highest score is still below average for MD programs. If we're being blunt this type of MCAT history usually isnt good enough for MD programs. You've been able to compensate to a fair extent getting all these IIs but it's still likely playing a role in all these schools not being able to quite pull the trigger and put you in the admit pile. Thing is unlike the interviews this really isnt as readily improvable as the other areas. You've taken the MCAT 3X's, your MCAT card is kind of punched out here. Taking it for a 4th time unless we are talking about 514+ caliber isnt really going to do it for you and frankly there isnt a great reason to believe that kind of improvement will come on the 4th attempt.

This isnt really a school list issue IMHO. Alot of these schools people are highlighting like Penn State, Kentucky and Louisville (bordering state schools), and USF are frankly not any worse options than the private schools SDN loves recommending that get >90 applications for every matriculant.

Couple things you can do from here

1) Consider DO
2) Look more into the UTHSC's program. With no linkage though you really have to see the track record this program has of getting people into US MD schools(ie not just med school in general). If it doesnt have a good track record at doing this particularly, I dont particularly recommend it. A better idea might be a more established SMP. Something like RFU is a bit risky but your stats are fine for them and the general idea is the program starts off with 130 people and about 60 end up being accepted to RFU's MD program. You have to beat out about half the students, but the average stats of the people in the program are 3.2/27. If you are confident in your abilities, it might be your best option. An SMP better known for getting people into a US MD school in general(not particularly at host institutions) like G'town or Tufts can also be a consideration although the MCAT history might make it harder to get into those.

Outside of the MCAT, your application looks fine. But you are a 3rd time applicant which puts you behind the eight ball and in a tough spot. Make sure first off your state schools will even consider a 3rd time applicant(not all schools will). But being a 3rd time applicant with a 3.6/28ish is kind of why Im recommending looking at an SMP a little here. Your a reapplicant at too many schools with a mediocre MCAT history: you need to do something significant to push the odds in your favor to overcome those things and some kind of SMP might be your best bet.

Work on interview skills. Start applying to DO schools, starting with LMU, ACOM, KYCOM and all three VCOMs. Beggars can't be choosy.

I reapplied this past cycle and unfortunately was not accepted anywhere. I earned 4 IIs and 2 WLs which is up from my previous cycle of just 2 IIs and 2 WLs. I think a lot of it had to do with getting more clinical experience and vastly improving my personal statement. I took biochemistry and physiology and got As (was told to add more biology classes last cycle).

1. Stats
- GPA 3.65 cumulative with a 3.55 science. Nuclear Engineering Major.
- MCAT Jan. 2013: 26 (10/9/7)
- MCAT Sept. 2013: 25 (10/7/8)
- MCAT Jan. 2014: 30 (12/9/9)

2. ECs and LORs
- 2000+ hours as an ER scribe and trainer
- 200+ hours as cardiologist/family doc scribe and trainer
- 100 hours doing nuclear engineering research
- 10 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist
- 350 hours as ER volunteer
- 200 hours as free clinic volunteer
- 1000 hours working at a golf range
- Solid letter from science professor and non-science professor, probably average letter from a different science professor, great letter from doctor I scribed with

3. Schools I applied to (TN resident)
ETSU Quillen
EVMS
Indiana SOM
MUSC
NYMC
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
USF
UAB
University of Arkansas
UCF
UIC- Chicago
UK
University of Louisville
USC - Columbia
USC - Greenville
UTHSC - Memphis
VCU
Wake Forest
WVU
Wright State

4. IIs/Decisions
ETSU Quillen – II and waitlist
Rosalind Franklin – II and post-interview rejection
Oakland William Beaumont SOM – II and post-interview rejection
UTHSC - Memphis – II and waitlist

I called the schools and received fairly generic advice of continuing what I was doing, take some more biology classes, etc. I think my weak point is interviewing... I have continued most of my activities but haven't done anything really new the past year to warrant reapplying this upcoming cycle. Not sure how much I could change up my personal statement either. I was thinking about doing UTHSC's masters of pharmacology program (15k, no linkage, includes two classes with medical students) or taking the new MCAT, then apply in 2017. Any advice on what to do next is appreciated! Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user