Third time reapplicant success story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComfortCreature

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my story for those who are in the position I was last year.

I first applied during the 2010-2011 application cycle with a 3.1 cGPA and a 28M MCAT (8PS 9VR 11BS). I managed to get three MD interviews resulting in one wait list and two rejections.

I took a pots bacc year to raise the GPA- I specifically took classes that were higher level than ones that I previously struggled with, so it was a mix of upper level and graduate level bio and biochem. I reapplied in the 2012-2013 cycle with a 3.1 uGPA and a 3.9 post bacc with the same MCAT. This time, I only interviewed at my state school.

I planned on reapplying immediately, but had to retake the MCAT as my score was going to be considered invalid at some schools (I took the last one 6/2010). I retook the MCAT and scored a 28 with the exact same subsection scores. This time, I had three interviews, two acceptances and one rejection.

Things I gleaned from the experience:

- I found a premed adviser through work (I worked at the UA-Tucson College of Public Health for a while) and had several frank discussions about my strengths, weakness, and hashed out my narrative- this is the thread that links your experiences and motivation for going into medicine. For me, this was huge. In addition to creating the framework for my personal statement, it informed how I answered my secondary questions and what I talked about in interviews. I had a wide range of experiences given I graduated high school in 2003, was a touring musician for years, then got heavily involved with volunteering and research as a premed. It was a challenge for me to tie everything together. The adviser helped me accomplish this. I feel strongly that I would have been rejected again if I didn't get this aspect solidified.

- I stayed involved in the things I cared about- for me that was research and my work with the American Medical Student Association- those things were also important to my narrative

- Don't rush the process- give yourself more time than you think necessary to do things- you don't want to submit an early AMCAS that is not your best work.

- Scores and grades only get your foot in the door (I know this is said ad nauseam, but it's a point we all seem to ignore)

- It still feels random- one thing I did this year was send hand written thank you letters to my interviewers AND the admin office staff. The school that I interviewed with that rejected me didn't get a thank you until several weeks after the interview due to my wedding and moving. I realize it's a n=3 dataset, but I think the Thank Yous were helpful as a demonstration of professionalism.

If you have any questions about my experience, ask away.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to share my story for those who are in the position I was last year.

I first applied during the 2010-2011 application cycle with a 3.1 cGPA and a 28M MCAT (8PS 9VR 11BS). I managed to get three MD interviews resulting in one wait list and two rejections.

I took a pots bacc year to raise the GPA- I specifically took classes that were higher level than ones that I previously struggled with, so it was a mix of upper level and graduate level bio and biochem. I reapplied in the 2012-2013 cycle with a 3.1 uGPA and a 3.9 post bacc with the same MCAT. This time, I only interviewed at my state school.

I planned on reapplying immediately, but had to retake the MCAT as my score was going to be considered invalid at some schools (I took the last one 6/2010). I retook the MCAT and scored a 28 with the exact same subsection scores. This time, I had three interviews, two acceptances and one rejection.

Things I gleaned from the experience:

- I found a premed adviser through work (I worked at the UA-Tucson College of Public Health for a while) and had several frank discussions about my strengths, weakness, and hashed out my narrative- this is the thread that links your experiences and motivation for going into medicine. For me, this was huge. In addition to creating the framework for my personal statement, it informed how I answered my secondary questions and what I talked about in interviews. I had a wide range of experiences given I graduated high school in 2003, was a touring musician for years, then got heavily involved with volunteering and research as a premed. It was a challenge for me to tie everything together. The adviser helped me accomplish this. I feel strongly that I would have been rejected again if I didn't get this aspect solidified.

- I stayed involved in the things I cared about- for me that was research and my work with the American Medical Student Association- those things were also important to my narrative

- Don't rush the process- give yourself more time than you think necessary to do things- you don't want to submit an early AMCAS that is not your best work.

- Scores and grades only get your foot in the door (I know this is said ad nauseam, but it's a point we all seem to ignore)

- It still feels random- one thing I did this year was send hand written thank you letters to my interviewers AND the admin office staff. The school that I interviewed with that rejected me didn't get a thank you until several weeks after the interview due to my wedding and moving. I realize it's a n=3 dataset, but I think the Thank Yous were helpful as a demonstration of professionalism.

If you have any questions about my experience, ask away.
Nice story, thanks for sharing it. I'm a reapplicant this year myself, really hoping not to have to do a third time. I don't believe the thank yous had any bearing though. It might seem professional to send them, but it would be very unprofessional for the recipient to have it affect their decision at all.

Members don't see this ad :)

By the time any snail-mail thank you letters are received, your interviewers' evaluations of you have been long since submitted to the adcom. If they don't collect that information pronto, people would forget to submit it and start conflating interviewees.

My apologies if the last part reads as if I'm emphasizing the thank you letter, I meant to emphasize the randomness of the whole process and how we tend to seek patterns in all of it anyway.

This is one of the hardest parts of all. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user
Great story and congratulations. Im also a reapplicant this cycle and was accepted. Feels great.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!!! Props for showing so much commitment and dedication to getting in. This was my 3rd cycle as well and I got in too! Feels pretty good, but kind of strange to have an acceptence email among soooooooo many rejections. Good luck in med school!

Reactions: 1 user