This is where I am at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted925364

Hi everyone hope everyone is doing well, I appreciate you taking the time to read about my situation and I value your input.

I am currently technically a senior with 85 credits, according to my school I am an upper junior.

Unfortunately I made a lot of mistakes, (bad studying habits, asking for an F, and so forth.) With the new semester upon us my desire to become a physician is increasing as I am beginning to see no other career makes sense for me, especially outside the medical field. So I came up with a plan and wanted to get some valuable advice and input from members here

This is where I am at as far as my science courses;

Bio 1 C-/ Bio 2 C
Chem 1 F(was told by my advisor to take the the F and replace it won't appear on my transcript ) Chem 2 C
Physics 1 A- / Physics 2 B+
Micro Bio B- / Enrolled in lab but had two of my grandparents admitted in the same hospital, at the exact same time, so I withdrew.
Science Research Course Affiliated with a SUNY during high school A-, I also performed my research at a symposium at my high school for this course, not sure if this makes a difference.
Field Studies in Botany : B

My currents stats; 2.4 sGPA, cGPA according to my school 3.01, and 2.84 accounting for the F that I received

My plan is to delay my graduation by a 5th year to take more science courses to raise my sGPA to at-least a 3.0, and my cGPA a little over a 3.0

By doing this I plan on taking Orgo 1, Orgo Lab, Neuro Bio, Micro Lab, and Lifespan Psych (Pre Req for nursing as backup),

I also intend on taking Orgo 2, Evolution, Genetics, 2 More Bio electives in order to receive my degree in biology
I also plan on taking Psych Stats, Sociology, Anatomy 1, Anatomy 2, Bio Chemistry, Bio 1 (again), and possibly another elective or two from @Goro reinvention guide.

Technically I will only be delaying my graduation by a semester, one semester would be a 15 credit or so post-bacc as a non degree student.

Just wanted to know if this makes sense? Please keep in mind I am taking the Psych Stats, and Sociology as a pre req for nursing as a back up plan.

I have some volunteer hours at a pediatric emergency room and intend on going back, I have shadowed a pediatrician as well (DO) and was able to get a letter of recommendation, and intend on following a (MD) pediatrician.

I plan on volunteering at my nearest soup kitchen, and or house of worship. I also am debating whether or not it makes sense to receive an EMT certification or CPR certification (would really appreciate advice on whether I should go for it or not).

I also for a home care agency helping out the elderly

I also have an opportunity to do research with my psychology professor, I wanted to know what medical schools think about doing research on Psychology.

Also wanted to know if medical schools will weigh all these classes more then my past, it will be about 45-50 credits or so. I am also nervous if I am shy of a 3.0 sGPA will it still be possible?

What my real question is is this a good plan, will I still be able to get in if I go according to my plan and do well? Will they look at me as a whole and my last 50 credits more?

I think this is everything I needed to mention, I know it is hard based to judge without an MCAT which I intend to take a prep course for and really study hard for but I would really appreciate some insight and advice. I thank you in advance for your input and time for reading.

Also first generation student, and grew up financially disadvantaged.

PS: I also have a W in Calc 1 but replaced it w a B-, just wanted to mention.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot here so I'm just going to bullet point respond to your questions

I also plan on taking Psych Stats, Sociology, Anatomy 1, Anatomy 2, Bio Chemistry, Bio 1 (again), and possibly another elective or two from @Goro reinvention guide.

Good move reading Goro's guide. It's helpful.

Just wanted to know if this makes sense? Please keep in mind I am taking the Psych Stats, and Sociology as a pre req for nursing as a back up plan.

Psych and Soc are prereq's for the MCAT anyway.

I plan on volunteering at my nearest soup kitchen, and or house of worship. I also am debating whether or not it makes sense to receive an EMT certification or CPR certification (would really appreciate advice on whether I should go for it or not).

Nonclinical volunteering (soup kitchen or religious) is always a good thing.

The EMT certification can be a big time commitment. If you're going to get the certification, make sure you actually use it.

The "meaningfulness" of EMT experience is not universally agreed upon by ADCOMs. Although, FWIW, it was the basis for all of my clinical experiences (5000 hours). Scribing, on the other hand, is easier to get into and it's "meaningfulness" is universally accepted.

I also have an opportunity to do research with my psychology professor, I wanted to know what medical schools think about doing research on Psychology.

Wet lab research is generally considered the best.

DO schools care less about research, in general.

Also wanted to know if medical schools will weigh all these classes more then my past, it will be about 45-50 credits or so. I am also nervous if I am shy of a 3.0 sGPA will it still be possible?

Common wisdom is that upward trends are very good, second only to chronic excellence. However, getting your sGPA >3.00 will open more doors (past the screening at some schools). I don't know a whole lot about sub-3 GPAs though.

What my real question is is this a good plan, will I still be able to get in if I go according to my plan and do well? Will they look at me as a whole and my last 50 credits more?

I think your plan makes sense. The door to MD is still possible with excellence from here out, plus an SMP, plus an MCAT >513.

Goro would have more guidance to offer on your easiest path to DO. Personally, I think 50 credits of 3.7+ in upper-level bio, paired with an MCAT around 510, should be enough.

As a rule of thumb, high MCATs alone don't compensate for low GPAs. A high MCAT, paired with a steep upward GPA trend, can compensate for a low GPA. The goal is to demonstrate that you have the academic prowess to get through medical school and pass your board exams.

Reality is, however, that you've been a C+/B student for 3 years of college. There's a lot of remediation you need to do. Do you really want to dedicate 2-3 years of intensive transcript repair to apply?

Last edited:
It is important that you take enough additional science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you will be screened out at many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The "meaningfulness" of EMT experience is not universally agreed upon by ADCOMs. Although, FWIW, it was the basis for all of my clinical experiences (5000 hours). Scribing, on the other hand, is easier to get into and it's "meaningfulness" is universally accepted.
So your saying that EMT is not as important? If I would get it I would work was just curious if its a plus, is a medical scribe better?

Wet lab research is generally considered the best.

DO schools care less about research, in general.
Wet lab meaning Chemistry, Bio, etc.? So avoid Psych? Research is not that important?
don't know a whole lot about sub-3 GPAs though.
what does this mean?
Reality is, however, that you've been a C+/B student for 3 years of college. There's a lot of remediation you need to do. Do you really want to dedicate 2-3 years of intensive transcript repair to apply?
At this point I don't see much else out there for me and love the field just worried I won't get accepted. Not even aiming for MD at this point.

Thank you for reading and sharing your input.

It is important that you take enough additional science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you will be screened out at many schools.
Yeah thats what I intend on doing

@Goro can you please get some of your feedback.

Or any other experts thank you all!!!

I agree with Kardio and Faha.

I'm not a fan of the EMT certification unless you're actually going to use it. Merely having the certification means nothing
will I have a good shot if i get it to a 3.0 and do good on my MCAT?

Are they any other pointers or advice you could give? have you seen people get in below 3.0 sgpa at schools like yours as well? But did well towards the end?

I think it's really a hard to say without an MCAT score. I think a good MCAT (508+) might salvage your GPA. DO schools look at applicants on a case by case basis, but you're at risk of being auto screened out. Try and make A's in all of your courses before trying to take on multiple different volunteering/clinical roles. You can always take a gap year and fill out the EC's, but any more B's-C's and I think it will be hard for you to hit the GPA threshold you need.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's really a hard to say without an MCAT score. I think a good MCAT (508+) might salvage your GPA. DO schools look at applicants on a case by case basis, but you're at risk of being auto screened out. Try and make A's in all of your courses before trying to take on multiple different volunteering/clinical roles. You can always take a gap year and fill out the EC's, but any more B's-C's and I think it will be hard for you to hit the GPA threshold you need.
I see your registered nurse, is there a forum for that?

So your saying that EMT is not as important? If I would get it I would work was just curious if its a plus, is a medical scribe better?

No, I’m not saying it’s unimportant. My only clinical experience is as an EMT. It was a critical piece of my application.

I’m saying that if you get the “EMT certification” you have to actually use it (by riding on an ambulance). Otherwise, it’s definitely not helpful.

Also, the quality of EMT experience varies a lot from person-to-person. Scribing varies less, is more straightforward and is universally recognized. For these reasons, I would recommend scribing over EMS for most people.

Wet lab meaning Chemistry, Bio, etc.? So avoid Psych? Research is not that important?

Yes - chem/bio is preferable. Think pipettes, petri dishes, tissue samples, etc. Whatever you decide on (if any), just try to be excellent at it.

what does this mean?

I’m just saying that I don’t know a lot about people in situations where their GPA is less than 3.0

At this point I don't see much else out there for me and love the field just worried I won't get accepted. Not even aiming for MD at this point.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. There are schools that will reward you’re efforts.

Just keep an open mind.

I see your registered nurse, is there a forum for that?
A forum of RN's? That would be on allnurses.com not SDN. If you are interested in nursing which you seem to be open to it based off of your post, you can always PM me. But just know that I would not use nursing as a back-up, as it definitely is not.