THIS JUST IN: MedicalCorpse starts a new thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously, MedicalCorpse do you really need to keep starting threads that have the same point? Why not just start a thread titled "MedicalCorpse: All the reasons I can find for YOU not joining the military"? Then you can post everything you want to share and all the articles you can find right there.

Anyone has read the forums even briefly knows your position. And we all thank you for sharing your experiences and resources, but, come on, you're hijacking the forum. Everytime you start another thread, you push other people's questions/concerns further down and out of sight.

Just a thought. ;)

I see your point man. I don't agree with most of Medical Corpse opinions. Well, I should say that his experiences haven't been the same as mine. However, I am but a lowly GMO with a scant 10 years in uniform. He is very amusing though, and I enjoy reading his intellectually stimulating posts, even if I do have to have a dictionary handy to interpret some of them.

The only thing I would add is that, as a deployed physician, I enjoy reading the forum for the 20 minutes it takes for the pictures of my family to download (I know "cry me a river".) It would be nice if I could just look at the first page and see if there is anything interesting. But, as usual, I have no authority to control anything in my universe. It looks like it's "shut up and take it" once again. Medical Corpse isn't the worst, by far, just the loudest and most visible target. The real problem is that people often don't properly utillize the stickies, and we end up with ten "What does a GMO do?" questions a month. I'm sure Homunculus could spend the spare 8 hours a day he has as a resident to redirect these folks to the proper thread.

The last thing I would add is that I think it is perfectly legitimate for med students and pre-med students to contribute to this forum. Med students probably have as much (or more) to contribute about life in an Air Force hospital as I do. It sounds to me like Ridiculous had a reasonable and well meaning suggestion, and he was disproportionately attacked as a troll. Then he was further Ridiculed for being a med student. (I know, I did the same thing when the guy called Marines murderers, but that was different.)

Now the dead horse looks like the goat at the end of a game of Buzkashi.

Members don't see this ad.

Before, I used to encourage everyone to join the military. I thought it was the best thing a person could do. Now when people approach me while I'm in uniform and tell me how they'd like to join, I always ask them "Why?". Most people really don't have an answer, they think it's just some inherent obligation they have. Think good and deeply, do you really think joining the military will be beneficial to you? Or if your concern is the nation, do you really think that supporting the HPSP pipeline is helpful? I am being a hypocrite to my own words by trying to get the HPSP scholarship, but I really do not want to get stuck on a ship or a sub for the next four years until I finish medical school.

It's great that you do that.

The reason you are not getting a warm welcome is because you are doing what I did before, speaking beyond your own experiences. Sure you can champion the romantic ideals of patriotism, but how legitimate are your words versus someone with a decade or more of experience? I agree MedicalCorpse is acrid with his words, but you should really read the stories on his website. He mentions malpractices that are downright unacceptable and could have meant the difference between life or death.

I should read his stories? I said quite a while back that I have visited his website and read his stories. I'll be honest with you: I'm still failing to see how my lack of military medicine experience does not allow me to comment strictly on a person's conduct within an online forum? I've made it abundantly clear that I have nothing against MedicalCorpse's opinion and that I do very much appreciate him sharing it with us. I have never said anything in opposition to his experience with military medicine nor have I said anything in support of the current military medicine state- and I've made that abundantly clear as well. Also, when have I championed patriotism? The only thing I have championed is politeness and staying on topic.

Lastly, as for the direction of the aforementioned thread, I still think you are glossing over mitch's words. Yes they are doing a great job, we would hope all our doctor's are, but they are trying to make it seem like military medicine is doing better than it really is (hence the word, "propaganda").

You are right. I should have said something in support of mitchconnie's post. It was a very good post since it was right on topic, had good info, and wasn't condescending in any way. Thank you mitchconnie. By the way, is there any way we can identify you in the video?

I really must stop typing long-winded posts. I know I haven't addressed everything you mentioned, but if you think anything needs clarification, go ahead and call me out on it. I must get to class...

Thank you for being polite.

If you spent half the time you currently spend whining about others' posts either asking pertinent questions about military medicine, or offering original content, your value and reputation
Code:
on this forum would be double what it is.[/QUOTE]

I did start a [URL="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=330186"]pertinent thread[/URL].  It is currently languishing halfway down the second page.

[QUOTE]You are neither a physician nor a member or ex-member of the military.  Unlike me, you did not spend a decade and a half of your life in uniform as a military physician.  Unlike me, you have not been deployed in service to your country.  Unlike me, you have not been spat upon for wearing the uniform of your nation.  My highest rank was LtCol.  You are a civilian.  My current medical standing is as a board-certified anesthesiologist with 12 years' experience after residency.  You are a pre-med.  I am a proud U.S. military veteran. There is simply no getting around the fact that there is no equivalence between us.

In life, there are always hierarchies.  As an intern, you will not be equal to your attendings.  As a junior member of a group, you will not be equal to your partners.  As a partner, you will not be equal to your hospital's CEO.  On a forum dedicated to military medicine, you are not equal to those who have actual experience over many years as military physicians.

You may well be my superior on a forum dedicated to soccer, the vagabond lifestyle (see Ridiculous' profile), or literary criticism; this forum is none of the above.

It boggles the mind that you possess the PUG (Pure, Unmitigated Gall) to continue your incessant, gnatlike campaign to critique and/or segregate me and my thoughts on this forum.  When you are twice as old as you are now, I hope you will have developed twice the judgment you are displaying here.  Your obdurate unwillingness to listen to others who are more experienced than you augurs well for your career as a politician, an O-6 military physician...but I'm being redundant.[/QUOTE]

You've got me.  I am in no way equal to you militarily or medically.  But I have never made any comments on this forum in which I have argued for or against  anything you or anyone else said militarily or medically- how could I?  The only argument I have made is for politeness (which to me means not starting lots of threads and respecting others as you argue) within this online forum.  The argument you should be making is that I don't have enough experience within this online forum to make such comments.

[QUOTE]I will put this in simple words for you:  I do not care about your opinions.  You have every right to have them.  You are free to express them here, there, and everywhere.  However, it continues to constitute a waste of your mitochondrial resources to type childish polemics against me, my writing style, my frequency of thread initiation, my body odor, and my taste in clothes.  

I just don't care.[/QUOTE]

I'm ready to let this die as well.  Body odor and taste in clothes?

[QUOTE]Now, go off and post a question about military medicine, offer us some entertaining content, and/or respond to the substance (not style or relative bitterness) of a post here, why don't you?[/QUOTE]

I think some people have found this hoopla to be entertaining.

[QUOTE]Or better yet, finish your pre-med studies, go to medical school, go through internship and residency, sign up to serve your country in uniform (yes, folks, this is by far the best [I]Tao[/I]), make Major, make LtCol, then come back here to tell me what you have learned over the two decades you spent getting to where I [I]was [/I]in 2005.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to.  I haven't decided about the military yet though.

[QUOTE]"Secretary Powell and I agree on every single issue that has ever been before this administration-- except for those instances where Colin's still learning."  --Now (finally) ex-SECDEF Rumsfeld.  Note: students should learn even better than ex-Generals.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1556617,00.html"]http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1556617,00.html[/URL]

[URL="http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54667"]This is somewhat analagous to what I see happened here with my original post.  You gotta love the Onion.  And no I'm not saying you are like Kim Jong Il.[/URL]