Thoracic TFESI and anticoagulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No. But are you sure the patient needs the esi?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do TFESI instead of interlaminar?

There’s a local guy who did an accidental arterial injection using TFESI in the thoracic region, used Kenalog of course….major lawsuit for spinal cord injury going on right now

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Why do TFESI instead of interlaminar?

There’s a local guy who did an accidental arterial injection using TFESI in the thoracic region, used Kenalog of course….major lawsuit for spinal cord injury going on right now
1. Assuming unilateral dermatomal distribution of pain.
2. Assuming lower risk of clinical hematoma via transforaminal approach if continuing AP/AC

I always use dex for TFESIs

Reactions: 1 users
If it's PHN, an ESI is reasonable IMO.

What's the reason for the anticoagulation?

I'd do it off Plavix but on apixaban. TFESI.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would do intercostal and not esi, and i would not hold either, even though you might be close to the artery.

Not Steve but I do 3 consecutive levels, with a total injectate of dex 10mg with 4cc bupivacaine 0.5%. Split the injectate into each level.

Unless it clear which dermatome. I think isolating the dermatome is hard, so I bracket.

Reactions: 2 users
Mark off a rib in the approximate center of the pain, drop a 25g onto the center of the rib shadow until it touches bone. Put a finger on each side of the needle oriented cephalad/caudad, and apply pressure to constrain the spread in a superior/inferior direction, and inject about 10 mL lido/steroid.

Mark off a rib in the approximate center of the pain, drop a 25g onto the center of the rib shadow until it touches bone. Put a finger on each side of the needle oriented cephalad/caudad, and apply pressure to constrain the spread in a superior/inferior direction, and inject about 10 mL lido/steroid.
Why center of rib though? Easy enough to touch inferior aspect safely, especially with caudal tilt, it's the walking off that gets riskier. Would seem like you'd more likely diffuse to intended target if starting closer

Last edited:
Why center of rib though? Easy enough to touch interior aspect safely, especially with caudal tilt, it's the walking off that gets riskier. Would seem like you'd more likely diffuse to intended target if starting closer
Minimize risk. Definitely more diffuse - I’ve added contrast to it to see, and one shot hits 2-3 intercostal levels.

I like US.

Rumors are that Putin had an MI today. In other news...

How close to the spine do you catch the intercostal nerve?

callmeanesthesia is using the omiguoi technique.

i will use that and traditional technique, under fluoro.

target and hit lower 1/3rd of rib. lots of local anesthetic, up to 5 ml on to each rib.

then angle downwards until off edge of bone, advance 1mm, no more, and reimage. then give 2 ml 025% bupiv and dex.

i get a lot of inpatient rib fracture patients, so the 1% on rib helps a lot, and want subjectively faster effect from that and dex and dont need longer term effect of depo.

I can see the lung directly with US

Qutenza it?

I'm okay with a 25g spinal based TFESI here or proximal intercostal at the medial angle of the rib.
5 mL there will get back to the DRG.

Omoigui may as well be an ESP