Those of you currently in optometry school, are you having a lot of difficulty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Well if the policy is explicitly stated up front, you really can't argue with them. While I don't agree with that, it's there in black and white, not like they made it up on the spot to spite you like "hahaha...we're going to fail this girl". I would still speak to the professor individually and see what he/she says.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Actually, nevermind, I probably shouldn't post too much on here. I basically made a post complaining about the ridiculous workload and the ever-saturating market, but I'm too afraid people in real life might know who I am on here.

Last edited:
Actually, nevermind, I probably shouldn't post too much on here. I basically made a post complaining about the ridiculous workload and the ever-saturating market, but I'm too afraid people in real life might know who I am on here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
She never even mentioned it, I read the syllabus AFTER I took the exam, I got a C+ overall grade, I swear if they say that I failed this class and have to be behind a year, then I'm dropping out and doing Nursing.

Your position makes no sense to me. If you're discontent with a policy, state your grievance with administration. Your problem, as you state it, is with how grading is set up, not with the profession of optometry or with the knowledge you are expected to have to enter it; what makes you think nursing school, or that for another field, would be any different?

eh, you should post what you were going to say anyways. It's like I wanted to do Optometry but I guess it's too hard for me. Plus if I lived at home and did a 2 year RN program at a community college I would have ZERO debt. And then could always do some kind of NP program later on if I wanted to go higher. I'm just so sick of Optometry school right now, I feel so miserable and I slack off slightly and end up failing. It's like I have to constantly work my butt off just to stay above water and I hate that feeling of slipping up and drowning. Like what if they decide to kick me out my third year when i have $100,000 of debt...

That's kind of where I am right now, too. I mean as of now I have all A's and B's, but the workload is ridiculous, and I'm starting to forget what it feels like to be happy and to actually look forward to some part of the day, and I just really question whether or not it's worth it. The market is definitely saturating, and the starting salaries are not near what most people in the outside world think.

My cousin is a NP, and she just bought a new Mercedes and has a really nice apartment, and also seems very happy. So, I think that is a good option. She genuinely likes her job, I can tell. I'm thinking of pharmacy or medical school. Honestly, if I'm going to do all of this work, I'm thinking that I might as well have the freedom of an MD or DO. I'm wearing out though.

The number one thing that bothers me right now about optometry school is the way that they constantly threaten to fail you or kick you out for one mistake. I know that this is a serious job with serious implications, but we're not in school to be neurosurgeons. A few mistakes would not necessarily mean that someone is going to be a bad doctor. I really think that I just should have researched the programs a little bit better. I didn't realize that it would be this demanding. I'm afraid of running myself out of money with this program because, like you said, they will kick you out in third year for a mistake. I absolutely hate that I could do years of this work and spend so much money and come out with nothing. I'm pretty sure that would literally ruin me.

Overall, I just feel like optometry schools let their business side show much more than I would have thought. And by this I mean that they try to fail people for dumb little things, so that they can make people repeat and then make more money. There is no other explanation. There is no damn way that these schools really believe that someone can't practice in this field if they have made some of the little mistakes that they fail people for.

Well, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm off to eat and drink myself silly.

eh, you should post what you were going to say anyways. It's like I wanted to do Optometry but I guess it's too hard for me. Plus if I lived at home and did a 2 year RN program at a community college I would have ZERO debt. And then could always do some kind of NP program later on if I wanted to go higher. I'm just so sick of Optometry school right now, I feel so miserable and I slack off slightly and end up failing. It's like I have to constantly work my butt off just to stay above water and I hate that feeling of slipping up and drowning. Like what if they decide to kick me out my third year when i have $100,000 of debt...

What makes you think that being an NP would be any easier? If not, it would be more difficult seeing as the vast amount of conditions you would have to diagnose and treat is immensely larger. I hate to say it but you seem a bit flaky, wanting to jump ship to another profession the second you start to flounder. You obviously don't care about what you said you wanted to be in your interviews.

Yes, first year is usually the toughest because of the transition from undergrad to graduate studies. However, it doesn't get that much easier from there. Preparing for boards >>> memorizing "massive" amounts of material for any courses.

If you've really decided to switch careers, don't make the same mistake again. Make sure you research the profession thoroughly before jumping right back into school. The grass is always greener on the other side

What makes you think that being an NP would be any easier? If not, it would be more difficult seeing as the vast amount of conditions you would have to diagnose and treat is immensely larger. I hate to say it but you seem a bit flaky, wanting to jump ship to another profession the second you start to flounder. You obviously don't care about what you said you wanted to be in your interviews.

Last edited:
That's kind of where I am right now, too. I mean as of now I have all A's and B's, but the workload is ridiculous, and I'm starting to forget what it feels like to be happy and to actually look forward to some part of the day, and I just really question whether or not it's worth it. The market is definitely saturating, and the starting salaries are not near what most people in the outside world think.

My cousin is a NP, and she just bought a new Mercedes and has a really nice apartment, and also seems very happy. So, I think that is a good option. She genuinely likes her job, I can tell. I'm thinking of pharmacy or medical school. Honestly, if I'm going to do all of this work, I'm thinking that I might as well have the freedom of an MD or DO. I'm wearing out though.

The number one thing that bothers me right now about optometry school is the way that they constantly threaten to fail you or kick you out for one mistake. I know that this is a serious job with serious implications, but we're not in school to be neurosurgeons. A few mistakes would not necessarily mean that someone is going to be a bad doctor. I really think that I just should have researched the programs a little bit better. I didn't realize that it would be this demanding. I'm afraid of running myself out of money with this program because, like you said, they will kick you out in third year for a mistake. I absolutely hate that I could do years of this work and spend so much money and come out with nothing. I'm pretty sure that would literally ruin me.

Overall, I just feel like optometry schools let their business side show much more than I would have thought. And by this I mean that they try to fail people for dumb little things, so that they can make people repeat and then make more money. There is no other explanation. There is no damn way that these schools really believe that someone can't practice in this field if they have made some of the little mistakes that they fail people for.

Well, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm off to eat and drink myself silly.

Last edited:
Ya I agree, I thought that Western would be easier since it's new, but it's almost like they're trying to set some kind of reputation as being known for being strict. Like I'm not the only one failing, there's at least 5 people that fail each class since we don't have midterms and one final test basically sets your entire grade. So fail the final=fail the class.

I think the fact that there are multiple people in your class that are failing shows that western is clearly a diploma mill. They are obviously out to make money and accepted lesser qualified applicants who now can't handle the transition. I hate to break it to you, but that's probably the truth and why you're not doing well. You can overcome it but you already admitted you were slacking off which was your first mistake. And as far as the school's policies go, they won't change for you. You have to change or get out.

I think the fact that there are multiple people in your class that are failing shows that western is clearly a diploma mill. They are obviously out to make money and accepted lesser qualified applicants who now can't handle the transition. I hate to break it to you, but that's probably the truth and why you're not doing well. You can overcome it but you already admitted you were slacking off which was your first mistake. And as far as the school's policies go, they won't change for you. You have to change or get out.

Last edited:
I happen to love the asynchronous classes at WesternU. That way you rarely have multiple tests in one week (ie a "finals" week), and classes are only as long as they need to be for that course. It's one of the reasons I chose Western. And the faculty is great and very helpful. Sorry to hear you're having a different experience.

we don't have midterms and one final test basically sets your entire grade. So fail the final=fail the class.
I don't know what you're talking about with finals only. Every class I can think of has had at least 1 midterm and a final.

Members don't see this ad :)
I happen to love the asynchronous classes at WesternU. That way you rarely have multiple tests in one week (ie a "finals" week), and classes are only as long as they need to be for that course. It's one of the reasons I chose Western. And the faculty is great and very helpful. Sorry to hear you're having a different experience.

I don't know what you're talking about with finals only. Every class I can think of has had at least 1 midterm and a final.

Last edited:
ocular anatomy, head and neck...etc. the more i think about it, the more I think WesternU is a complete mess and I'd rather drop out and do nursing.

I don't think nursing will be any easier. I have friends in nursing school who have fallen off the face of the earth, they don't come out, social network, keep in touch, nothing. Whenever I've talked to them, they're always talking about studying their ass off every single day and having rotations, which leaves little time for anything else. I would research the profession if I was you because it sounds to me like you just want to do nursing because you've found optometry to be too hard. There is no passion, and without passion it will be harder for you to succeed.

Also weren't you the person who was waitlisted at other schools/didn't get accepted, posted about having a hard time with getting acceptances after interviews and ended up at Western? I'm not trying to be mean but maybe this was all a sign that maybe optometry wasn't for you, right from the start.

It seems as if getting in is only the beginning, and most likely the easiest part of optometry school!

you have described my current life, it's pretty miserable. We have rotations or "clerkships" at Western all 4 years.

I usually stay out of these threads, but what did you expect? It is supposed to be challenging and time consuming.

you have described my current life, it's pretty miserable. We have rotations or "clerkships" at Western all 4 years.

Maybe you should stop focusing on the easiest road and focus on what you really want to do. No healthcare field is going to be easy. Getting in is the easy part, the rest is the hard part.

You know, reading this thread makes me wonder what you guys thought OD school was going to be like. It's a very hard graduate-level education.

It appears that what us senior ODs have feared is coming true. The vast expansion of OD schools has made it necessary to fill the seats with people that are really not qualifed to be there. The only people that are going to be hurt are the students that can not cut it.

The schools are laughing all the way to the bank. And even if the school dumbed down their curriculum, it is likely that these marginal students will not be able to pass the national board exams anyway.

Seems ashamed that no one is listening to what we senior ODs are saying. 4 very hard years of study and loss of time in the prime of your life for a shot at working at Walmart making $75,000 (or less) for life and bringing home $2,000/month after loan payments and taxes.

If you aren't too far in debt already and still in your first year, drop out and go to nursing school. It will be slightly easier but you will still be studying your ass off. I promise you will not regret this decision . At least you will have a future in the end. And companies recruiting you before you even graduate. And a chance for advancement. All of this is missing in optometry. :bang:

Last edited:
You know, reading this thread makes me wonder what you guys thought OD school was going to be like. It's a very hard graduate-level education.

It appears that what us senior ODs have feared is coming true. The vast expansion of OD schools has made it necessary to fill the seats with people that are really not qualifed to be there. The only people that are going to be hurt are the students that can not cut it.

The schools are laughing all the way to the bank. And even if the school dumbed down their curriculum, it is likely that these marginal students will not be able to pass the national board exams anyway.

Seems ashamed that no one is listening to what we senior ODs are saying. 4 very hard years of study and loss of time in the prime of your life for a shot at working at Walmart making $75,000 (or less) for life and bringing home $2,000/month after loan payments and taxes.

If you aren't too far in debt already and still in your first year, drop out and go to nursing school. It will be slightly easier but you will still be studying your ass off. I promise you will not regret this decision . At least you will have a future in the end. And companies recruiting you before you even graduate. And a chance for advancement. All of this is missing in optometry. :bang:

Last edited:
I am in med school right now and am thinking about ophtho for residency. I am curious how you are enjoying school and what you are learning besides the heinous workload... are you enjoying the material at all or what you are learning?

I am in med school right now and am thinking about ophtho for residency. I am curious how you are enjoying school and what you are learning besides the heinous workload... are you enjoying the material at all or what you are learning?

Last edited:

it's tempting...too bad I'd have 20k loans from the first semester of Opt school, but at least I saw how horrible it was and how 4 years of that **** is not worth it to be making nothing once you minus your 200k loans.

If you've only gone through 1yr so far, I would leap now as Tippytoe is advising you. $20k isn't that bad in comparison to the remainder $60k for 3 more semesters. Get the titles out of your mind and you'll see that nursing is the best bang for the buck. It'd take you 2yrs and you'd have jobs lined up with FT hours, benefits, super strong unions supporting you, etc.

You are now seeing what many ODs are forewarning, that for the amount of studying and information you will have to do JUST to come out and have 3 PT jobs with no benefits? Or taking out a $200k loan to start up or buy a small/medium practice to sell mostly glasses as income? Its just not worth it. You'll be stuffed full of the same basic sciences courses as MDs/DOs/DPMs etc, but with far less scope of practice and far less job opportunities.

Give it serious consideration. I'm not saying everyone should run for the door, but unless my family were handing me a practice or I had a full scholarship of some sort, then I'd leave now. Good luck...

Read about how progressive the nursing field is in comparison to ours: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=865041

Name one new procedure an OD was allowed to perform in the past 10yrs? 20yrs? 30yrs?
What new procedure will ODs be performing in the next 5-10yrs? 20yrs?
I'm not bashing, I only want students who are signed up or about to sign up for a $150-200k debt load to see what they are really signing up for...

Here are two people my age from my area. One is an RN, and one is an OD. The RN works part time pushing papers as manager at a nursing home and can't find a different job. The OD was contacted by several places while still in school and landed a full time job before graduation.

I think it all really matters where you want to practice. I'd research what is needed in your area before you sign up for nursing school.

Here are two people my age from my area. One is an RN, and one is an OD. The RN works part time pushing papers as manager at a nursing home and can't find a different job. The OD was contacted by several places while still in school and landed a full time job before graduation.

I think it all really matters where you want to practice. I'd research what is needed in your area before you sign up for nursing school.

Anecdotes...anecdotes...anecdotes.

Last edited:
my aunt is a midwife in the area and makes a ton of $$$, i'd prob go for NP over RN anyways. I just dont know if nursing school could possibly be harder and if the laws change that a NP needs a doctorate. Also it would mean I wasted 4 years getting my BS, lame.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% positive you need some RN experience before you can go NP.

If you can hop right to an NP program w/ no experience...that is just messed up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% positive you need some RN experience before you can go NP.

If you can hop right to an NP program w/ no experience...that is just messed up.

Last edited:

Almost positive this is true. And NP programs are not easy to get into. Also keep in mind if you decide to jump ship and switch to nursing, you have to do shadowing and might have to do some prereqs as well.

This was going to be my advice, seeking academic counseling from the dean or whatever. At our school, anything lower than a 70 is considered failing and you have to pass a cumulative retake final exam to pass the class (with a transcript denotation) otherwise you have to repeat the year.

My study method has always been to "think like the professor". They normally get 40-50 questions if they are MC format or even if they aren't, but they generally aren't *******s and won't test on nitpicky details. So focus on major concepts of everything first before you take it a step deeper and do details. If you have time, sweat the small stuff. It's not worth obsessing over since the likelihood of it being tested are so small.

Hey Blondiechick919, I'm having a tough time figuring out new study methods...how do you "think like the professor"? How do you study? You seem to have a great handle on your first year and I'd love some advice.

I'm doing fine in my classes but I'd really love to get A's and High B's...not low-mid B's and C's like I did this semester.

Thanks girl

Almost positive this is true. And NP programs are not easy to get into. Also keep in mind if you decide to jump ship and switch to nursing, you have to do shadowing and might have to do some prereqs as well.

Last edited:
I have most of the prereqs, there's no shadowing required. I just realized something...I don't think I'll pass the Optometry boards :/ Even if I don't get into NP school, I'll be a RN and have a job. If I don't pass the Opt boards I'll be 200k in debt with no job :eek:

Nurses have to pass a licensing exam too, it's called the NCLEX.

I highly doubt the NCLEX-RN is as hard as Part I, II and III...so what happens to people that don't pass it by the time they graduate? They have to keep retaking it while their loans pile up?

That is what happened to someone I know. I think she might have taken it 5 or 6 times before passing. Wasn't able to work as an RN so she had to get a job doing something else in the meantime in order to pay off loans.

That is what happened to someone I know. I think she might have taken it 5 or 6 times before passing. Wasn't able to work as an RN so she had to get a job doing something else in the meantime in order to pay off loans.

In some states you can work as an MA. Basically do the same things RNs do but supervised in most offices and for far less pay. A lot of doctors offices even choose this route since they can hire a $12 MA out of high school and train then the way they want instead of an RN for way more money.

Last edited:
Stop focusing on failing... Focus on passing. There is an old saying ..if you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are right! Give it all you got, then decide.

I highly doubt the NCLEX-RN is as hard as Part I, II and III...

I know I'm only a pre-optometry student, but I really don't think you should oversimplify any pre-professional/allied health/graduate programs. I'm sure you've probably realized that optometry school is not as easy as you anticipated, and that may be one of the reasons why you are shocked about your current grades. If you so happen to choose the nursing field, I wouldn't treat it as a cake-walk.

Given my current status as a pre-optometry student I am probably not the best to give advice, but I do think that you should think really carefully about what you should do.

I guess many people think that OD education must be a piece of cake since all we do is ask " which is better 1 or 2?" while spinning some dials ( although I would not mind it at all if I didn't have 200k in debt and had to go through such extensive training). So current OD students, now you can see for yourselves the pain you have to go through just so you could say "which is better 1 or 2?" like the rest of us. It's hard for you to picture what we're telling you unless you experience it yourself so enjoy your journey.

I know I'm only a pre-optometry student, but I really don't think you should oversimplify any pre-professional/allied health/graduate programs. I'm sure you've probably realized that optometry school is not as easy as you anticipated, and that may be one of the reasons why you are shocked about your current grades. If you so happen to choose the nursing field, I wouldn't treat it as a cake-walk.

Given my current status as a pre-optometry student I am probably not the best to give advice, but I do think that you should think really carefully about what you should do.

Last edited:
I don't think Nursing school would be easy, but it would be the quarter system, 10 weeks, whereas Western has a 3 week class schedule that's too fast for me.

Also I would be in HALF the debt if I did nursing. Now everyone keeps telling me not to worry about loans, but you know what, the government is not going to wave their magic wand and erase your loans. Maybe more people NEED to actually think about the 200-300k loans they're taking out and realize you will NEVER be able to pay that back on an Optometrist's salary. Then people say the "well at least i'll be happy"...you don't even know if you'll be happy as an Optometrist, working at Walmart does not sound fun to me.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up. :thumbup:

I highly doubt the NCLEX-RN is as hard as Part I, II and III.

I have two nurses in my family. It is true that the didactic courses in nursing and its board exam may not be as hard compared to our OD education, but their clinical rotations are tougher. Nursing is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart. However, if you could get through the schooling and once you get out, you will have good job security, great benefits, and can choose to work in different specialties or settings that suit you such as hospitals, clinics, or doctors' offices (which are easier and less demanding than hospitals)

But then again, nursing is not for everybody and is not as easy as you think if it does not suit your personality. I think you have a lot of soul-searching to do. You have to research the profession carefully and know that you are entering it for the right reasons. You will get no where in life if you jump ship at the first sign of hardship.

I'm not so sure that the OP is mature enough for any career in health care at this point in time.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't know how long ago you graduated, but I took 2 gap years and worked and grew up A LOT. I don't see the same maturity in my classmates who just got out of school. I feel like you want to just o the easy way rather than putting in the effort. What would you run to if you hit rock bottom in nursing school? And keep in mind, as a nurse, you are NOT the boss. You work really really hard for little respect from some patients and doctors and get ordered around a lot. It's a very important job but sometimes thankless. I make it a point to thank my nurses since they spend the most time with you, but many people don't. Watch a few episodes of scrubs and see how Carla gets on Turk.

As an optometrist you can be a boss... you just might not be BOSS.

I graduated over a decade ago. My undergrad was more difficult because I was on a quarters system and did 18 to 21 credits per term and summer terms. Got my BS in three yrs and Magma cum Laude. I could have gone to med school but never applied. I actually chose optometry. I was disappointed to learn lots of classmates would have preferred medicine.

Anyway undergrad was good prep for op school. First yr I was bored. Not very challenging. Good grades. Reason for ease was switch to semesters.

Second yr more like undergrad. Worked my behind off night and day. Class usu 9 to 4 daily. Came home napped for couple hrs. Studied till 11. Every weekday. Weekends studied 6 hrs per day. Year one and two had no job. No time for clubs. Why is that important?

Third and fourth yr starting clinic rotations where the patient no showed. Boring. Wondered why I was paying tuition. I did a work study job teaching procedures such as bio. My Va rotation was fun and challenging and patients showed up.

I got mostly A and B plus grades. C in physiological optics... long mathematical problems. Other than that it wasn't that bad. You need to be disciplined in any grad program. Yes you will still need to study 5 hrs per day even if you've been in class all day.

You are competing with people who have photographic memories or with people who remember everything they hear in lecture or with people who read something once and remember everything. Those people are gifted but not necessarily smarter than you. You will just need to work harder.

My best regards.

I