Those that have done exchange programs... specific question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedoraenglish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year of university at home school: 3.30 GPA (I have good reasons for this and documented them)
Second year of university at home school: 3.40GPA (a really bad stats grade ruined me..)
Third year I studied abroad at a reputable school and AMCAS refuses to accept or convert my grades, and my home school refuses to put them on my transcript: 3.93GPA.Calculated with my home-school's standards.

I'm obviously worried that medical schools will reject me without being able to see my grades from my exchange year. I'm uploading them along with my secondary applications (in a PDF file).

Do you think that they will reject me before even looking at my third year of exchange grades? They do not appear on AMCAS. I'm uploading my grades from abroad separately to the medical schools secondary application (where I can upload documents), and mentioned them in my personal essay and mentioning them in all my secondary applications.

Do you think I stand a shot? I really don't want to be screened out before they even get the chance to see my grades. Any comments/thoughts/opinions would be extremely helpful in this situation.
(overall GPA is 3.54 now).

If anyone has any information on whether med schools will reject me before they even look at my third year grades... I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

First year of university at home school: 3.30 GPA (I have good reasons for this and documented them)
Second year of university at home school: 3.40GPA (a really bad stats grade ruined me..)
Third year I studied abroad at a reputable school and AMCAS refuses to accept or convert my grades, and my home school refuses to put them on my transcript: 3.93GPA.Calculated with my home-school's standards.

I'm obviously worried that medical schools will reject me without being able to see my grades from my exchange year. I'm uploading them along with my secondary applications (in a PDF file).

Do you think that they will reject me before even looking at my third year of exchange grades? They do not appear on AMCAS. I'm uploading my grades from abroad separately to the medical schools secondary application (where I can upload documents), and mentioned them in my personal essay and mentioning them in all my secondary applications.

Do you think I stand a shot? I really don't want to be screened out before they even get the chance to see my grades. Any comments/thoughts/opinions would be extremely helpful in this situation.
(overall GPA is 3.54 now).

If anyone has any information on whether med schools will reject me before they even look at my third year grades... I'd really appreciate it.

You did a whole year abroad? What classes did you take there? Typically schools don't like to see you take pre-requsities away from your home institution.

Seems like there's something we're not being told here.. why isn't AMCAS or your home institution recognizing the grades?

You won't be screened out since typically the screen is set at a 3.00 but I highly doubt ADCOMs will look at a PDF you upload with grades in the same light as AMCAS verified grades. Too easy to fake and well, AMCAS verifies grades for a reason.

Best bet is to explain in relevant sections on secondaries (i.e. "Additional information" questions) though I do think schools will find it very odd that you are seemingly applying with only two years worth of credits.

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it.

I'm not leaving anything out. Yes, I studied abroad for a full year.
AMCAS refuses to accept grades from schools outside of the US and Canada. I've had conversations with multiple AMCAS employees. They don't budge on this.
My home school refuses to put my grades on my transcript. Only pass/fail.

So my home school will show the credits I got, but not the % grades, which obviously really bothers me.
Meanwhile, I worked my ass off to get my 3.93.

The grades are printed on official certificates from the institution, signed by the proffs, complete with contact info and course syllabi. I also asked them to include my AMCAS ID.

Ok, that's good to know about not being screened out, though.
Hopefully the lack of third year grades on AMCAS will make them want to take a second look?

EDIT: immunology, tumour biology, bacterial physiology,and two third year biochem courses (this is a full course load). None of my pre-reqs. All of my pre-reqs (chem, bio, orgo, physics were all done in Canada).

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be out of luck. AACOMAS, at least, lets you use foreign transcripts.

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it.

I'm not leaving anything out. Yes, I studied abroad for a full year.
AMCAS refuses to accept grades from schools outside of the US and Canada. I've had conversations with multiple AMCAS employees. They don't budge on this.
My home school refuses to put my grades on my transcript. Only pass/fail.

So my home school will show the credits I got, but not the % grades, which obviously really bothers me.
Meanwhile, I worked my ass off to get my 3.93.

The grades are printed on official certificates from the institution, signed by the proffs, complete with contact info and course syllabi. I also asked them to include my AMCAS ID.

Ok, that's good to know about not being screened out, though.
Hopefully the lack of third year grades on AMCAS will make them want to take a second look?

EDIT: immunology, tumour biology, bacterial physiology,and two third year biochem courses (this is a full course load). None of my pre-reqs. All of my pre-reqs (chem, bio, orgo, physics were all done in Canada).

I appreciate the reply. Does anyone have anything else to contribute?