Those that majored in business....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0CTORX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any of you guys on SDN that majored in business, finance, etc?

I am thinking about majoring in accounting...

Just wondering what the experience of having pre-med classes and interviews were like?(if you have made it to med school)

Members don't see this ad.

If you major in business, do a double major(ie accounting and finance or whatever). I know someone who does hiring at a major company, and if you don't have a double major your resume is thrown in the trash because you just aren't competitive as a single major.

edit: This assumes you are wanting to use this as a backup plan. If not, ignore my comments.

If you major in business, do a double major(ie accounting and finance or whatever). I know someone who does hiring at a major company, and if you don't have a double major your resume is thrown in the trash because you just aren't competitive as a single major.

edit: This assumes you are wanting to use this as a backup plan. If not, ignore my comments.

Hmmm.... but that would probably mean less time for upper level bio classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in finance and was accepted by several schools. However, I worked in the industry for 3 years before having a change of heart and returning to school for pre-reqs. Most people I met at interviews with business degrees all had similar stories of working first before going back to school. Like LizzyM said in your other post, schools don't care what your degree is in, but you have to have a solid reason for why you chose that degree. Having it as a "back up plan" seems like a weak reason to me. I feel like most or atleast a good amount of people decide to pursue med school because 1) they want to help people and 2) they like science. Accounting doesn't really fulfill either. (Yes it "helps" people, but that's a different thread). If you don't want to major in a hard science, you could do psychology, social work, public health, etc. I know having a Bachelors in business is more practical...but you ultimately want to be a doctor, right? I just don't know if you could be convincing enough to some interviewers.

I majored in finance and was accepted by several schools. However, I worked in the industry for 3 years before having a change of heart and returning to school for pre-reqs. Most people I met at interviews with business degrees all had similar stories of working first before going back to school. Like LizzyM said in your other post, schools don't care what your degree is in, but you have to have a solid reason for why you chose that degree. Having it as a "back up plan" seems like a weak reason to me. I feel like most or atleast a good amount of people decide to pursue med school because 1) they want to help people and 2) they like science. Accounting doesn't really fulfill either. (Yes it "helps" people, but that's a different thread). If you don't want to major in a hard science, you could do psychology, social work, public health, etc. I know having a Bachelors in business is more practical...but you ultimately want to be a doctor, right? I just don't know if you could be convincing enough to some interviewers.

I tend to agree with this. But, I do think that someone could make the argument that they pursued business because they wanted to, for example, effectively run a small practice in a rural environment, etc. Business and medicine are not diametrically opposed fields. Good business practices can be viewed as an altruistic tool, given that you cannot significantly help others unless you have spare funds (e.g. profit).

Now, personally, I think business is a crummy pre-med major for a few reasons. First, you will forget most of it by the time you're out of residency. And, secondly, it is typically a high unit major, which will leave you with less time to take more relevant coursework.