Thought experiment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe you could go to dosimetry school while you're doing in house night call in hopes of that future pay raise.
Physics market even better

Members don't see this ad.

...well, at least it's better than them expanding their residency to deal with their scut.

Reactions: 1 user
a bad job market hurts us all. Even people in amazing enviable jobs now have little movement if their personal situations change. There is no guarantee you can absolutely find something exactly where you want. Less flexibility. Employed people have to keep head down because losing employment at the moment would be terrible. Nobody can speak up. Its overall a bad environment for everyone even those in amazing jobs. People are basically locked in. The saying was first job is not your last. Is this still the case?

we are on the pirate ship sitting on plank. Only way out is to jump. No other ships around. The sharks feast on your emaciated body from the breadlines if the scurvy does not get you. The shoulder monkey/parrot laughs at you.
Exactly nobody can speak up. I actively know of ****ty places where no one can speak up if they are unsatisfied, be it about the schedule or safety issues. Those in charge retaliate and will do things to push those who speak up out. They know that those people are easily replaceable.

It’s not just bad for the physicians, it’s bad for the patients and the department as a whole. In fact not feeling like you can speak up about safety concerns puts the entire hospital or whoever owns the machines at risk. It’s flat out dangerous.

There is a huge difference between teaching med students at large about radiation vs mentoring a student to go into a field where they will be lucky to find a job, and near impossible to find a job where they actually might be happy living. But I guess if you prioritize your personal happiness, then you just aren’t a doctor who cares enough about cancer patients. Then you’re just a terrible person who only cares about yourself, and your spouse, and your children and your family...that sort of a terrible person.

any institution that hangs so much of a job promotion on whether a rad Onc has mentored people convincing them to go into rad Onc where it’s hard to find a job is an unethical institution. It’s also selfish to say it’s important for me to keep MY job, so I will definitely mentor people, but it’s ok for my mentee to not find a job. Unethical.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 315543

Want to be a board certified doc making less than the residents you are forced to educate? Come to rad onc.

That's just an erroneous glass door estimate. This job was posted a few years back and I inquired about it. It doesn't really have much to due with MSSM except for students/residents may rotate through the department occasionally. Your employeer will actually be NYC Health + Hospitals (ie you'll be either a state or city employee and a member of their public employee's union). This is a hard core charity hospital that was the epicenter of the Covid pandemic in nyc. I'm 100% sure it pays more then 50 -$82K but probably not as much as you would hope given the high cost of living in nyc.

Just came across this nice sounding private practice rad onc job in Richmond, VA!

1597253206856.jpeg

I once went on several dates with a veterinarian pathologist. Very interesting woman, and we had a good discussion about the differences in cancer diagnosis and treatment between animals and humans. As I understand, they are usually limited to just the most basic of stains/no immunohistochemistry due to the fact that no one really cares if their dog has tumor subtype A vs tumor subtype B etc and so pathological diagnosis is limited in those cases. But vet rad oncs are interesting if you've ever looked at their data. Lot of SBRT/hypofractionated type treatments used, especially considering the hassle of sedating pets (like peds). One of our medical physicists used to volunteer QA their machines occasionally too, since I think their access to those types of services are limited.

On another aside (sorry mods if this is off topic), that pathologist started the third date with an 'Oh by the way...'. An 'oh by the way...' is never a good thing. Turns out she actually was also in an open relationship with a gastroenterologist which I was unaware of previously haha, which to say, is not really my cup of tea. Moral of the story I guess is vet [pathologists] really are interesting people. And maybe there are things we can learn from vet rad oncs too. Never met one though, but would love to pick their brain one day. I was gifted Amazon product and it was an interesting read, at least on a qualitative level.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Apparently the hair of animals often grows back in a different color after radiation therapy.

Common dog --> electron round tube --> Dalmatian
Common horse --> tomotherapy --> Zebra

Can someone open the window? Ethics needs to fly out.

• Haha
Look at the marketing angle though. Is there any other field with reverse locums? Not only can you cold email to beg for jobs, you can pay a staffing company to do it for you! Rad onc continues to rocket to the top of the charts. Congratulations to everyone who did there part to make this dream possible.
Just listened to our front office staff fend off a cold call from a locums company rep looking for any vacation, short term, or longer term staffing needs to place "multiple available physicians". At a rural location 50 miles from the nearest airport with commercial service I doubt we were their first call. I'm genuinely curious if that is standard operating procedure for locums companies. Like @DebtRising I assume locums recruiting predominantly goes the other direction, but I can appreciate that you need to find both jobs and MDs to staff to play matchmaker and take a cut.

It also seems to me, subjectively, that the caliber of locums physicians is increasing. I had one email about an RO MD who is interested in a locums-based/transitional leadership position. Had never heard of this before.

It also seems to me, subjectively, that the caliber of locums physicians is increasing. I had one email about an RO MD who is interested in a locums-based/transitional leadership position. Had never heard of this before.

I saw the same. I didn't really know what to think of that. Some higher up academic got axed, think they're too good to babysit as a locums? Good luck with all that

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Same... Got a cold email from a mud phud that graduated last decade looking for locums opps. Downright scary if you ask me....

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I saw the same. I didn't really know what to think of that. Some higher up academic got axed, think they're too good to babysit as a locums? Good luck with all that
"Babysitting the linac?! That actually happens? You expect ME to do that? I honestly thought I'd walk through the door, everyone would bow down, the owner would hand me the keys to the building and the title to his car (and his wife), and the partners would place a crown on my head!"