Thoughts about Elizabeth Warren's New Health Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromium Surfer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Seems like this will be hitting physicians directly, at least based on this explanation, what are people's thoughts about this and the impact it will have on students trying to pay of their loans?

Members don't see this ad.

This isnt going to happen.
There are too many issues in the way including industry resistance but also patients and voters who generally like what they have.
There are also alternatives to fixing or addressing much of the issues going on today such as ending balanced billing equitably, cost controls on drugs and medical equipment, reducing costs of administrative burdens.

The going from spending 3.6T a year to 2.1T a year is pretty large. You will be affected. This will altered physicians-salaries to the point where you will basically will now travel in a lower and separate sphere. Enjoyyour homes and neighbors now because you will not be able to afford it anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't found and read all the details but looked at the plan she and Bernie co-sponsored. That had language prohibiting physicians from charging for Medicare covered services (no opt-out). That would destroy the affordable Direct Primary Care practice I just spent five years building. Over 1000 other DPCs (and their hundreds of thousands of patients) would be in the same boat.

I have no love for the insurance industry but will head overseas or just punch a clock from 9-5 at the local VA until I can retire if this goes through.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is a prime example of what makes ideas and agendas along the line of "Medicare For All" become so divisive and confusing: a lack of substantial explanation of program funding sources.

I think this is a prime example of what makes ideas and agendas along the line of "Medicare For All" become so divisive and confusing: a lack of substantial explanation of program funding sources.

Your pocket. That's where the funding source is coming from.

Medicare for all will be a literal doubling of governmental spending. They could pilfer every cent that every billionaires has and it wouldn't be enough. That Elizabeth Warren won't say she's gonna raise everyone's taxes is dishonest under the best circumstances... At least Bernie tells the truth that he's raising everyone's taxes

Reactions: 6 users
I’m pretty moderate but tired of the far left promising unpromisable things. Saw her ad on Facebook once it’s such a joke

Reactions: 1 users
Republicans, conservatives and corporate democrats (indirectly) claim that free market and competition is the cure for everything and that the government is inefficient, ineffective, useless and it is incapable of doing anything right. But the moment someone suggests to add an ineffective, inefficient government option to the market pool, they get jittery because their PAY MASTERS will not be able to fleece the customers how much ever the want. Funny they call others liars!!! These idiots do not even know that fedex and ups coexist with USPS. They only difference is that fedex and ups have to earn their profit in an honest way. If the people like the public option better than private companies and that results in disappearance of private insurance companies, what’s wrong with that? These guys claim repeatedly that there are 150 million people who love their private insurance, then what they are afraid of?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, sweet summer child... what do you know of how bills are written?

Yes, of course I am aware of that. Health insurance companies write healthcare bills. Oil companies dictate energy policy. Wall Street takes care of finance. The only missing piece is that the criminals don’t get to write the criminal laws because they don’t have the money to buy off the corrupt politicians. But none of these prevent us from proclaiming we are the greatest democracy in the world and that we are better than everybody else.

Republicans, conservatives and corporate democrats (indirectly) claim that free market and competition is the cure for everything and that the government is inefficient, ineffective, useless and it is incapable of doing anything right. But the moment someone suggests to add an ineffective, inefficient government option to the market pool, they get jittery because their PAY MASTERS will not be able to fleece the customers how much ever the want. Funny they call others liars!!! These idiots do not even know that fedex and ups coexist with USPS. They only difference is that fedex and ups have to earn their profit in an honest way. If the people like the public option better than private companies and that results in disappearance of private insurance companies, what’s wrong with that? These guys claim repeatedly that there are 150 million people who love their private insurance, then what they are afraid of?

Because Medicare can always get more money without actually raising the Medicare premium (raising general taxes or cutting funds elsewhere - or just adding to the debt), so your free market players are competing against something that can get more money without raising premiums (something they cannot do).

That's what they're afraid of.

Yes, of course I am aware of that. Health insurance companies write healthcare bills. Oil companies dictate energy policy. Wall Street takes care of finance. The only missing piece is that the criminals don’t get to write the criminal laws because they don’t have the money to buy off the corrupt politicians. But none of these prevent us from proclaiming we are the greatest democracy in the world and that we are better than everybody else.
LMAO -- as if any of these things are uniquely American. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Because Medicare can always get more money without actually raising the Medicare premium (raising general taxes or cutting funds elsewhere - or just adding to the debt), so your free market players are competing against something that can get more money without raising premiums (something they cannot do).

That's what they're afraid of.
Because you cannot compete with tax payer and costless debt funding; it's depressing that this is beyond anyone's grasp.

Reactions: 4 users

Blue cross and blue shield can’t raise my taxes to cover their expenses if they don’t charge customers enough to pay their bills, the govt can. That is why the govt should not be allowed to offer a public option

LMAO -- as if any of these things are uniquely American. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
It is not this prevalent in other countries and these are considered ILLEGAL and punishable acts. But here we have made them legal , we just call them lobbying.

Blue cross and blue shield can’t raise my taxes to cover their expenses if they don’t charge customers enough to pay their bills, the govt can. That is why the govt should not be allowed to offer a public option
All other countries differ with your assessment. Blue cross blue shield raises the premium , copays, deductibles every year as much as they want. Then why is it a problem to raise the tax assuming it happens?

It is not this prevalent in other countries and these are considered ILLEGAL and punishable acts. But here we have made them legal , we just call them lobbying.
Hold up -- you think rent seeking behaviors are unique to our system?

All other countries differ with your assessment. Blue cross blue shield raises the premium , copays, deductibles every year as much as they want. Then why is it a problem to raise the tax assuming it happens?
Oh mercy... ignoring the practical horribly erroneous nature of your presumption, here, let me know when BC/BS has men with guns authorized to remove you from your home and placing you in jail for failure to be able to pay a premium.

...and people wonder why there is little patience with this malarkey.

because BCBS can only raise the bills on their customers. Folks who are choosing to buy the services of BCBS.

The govt shouldn't be selling insurance to people because if the govt needs more money, they can (and will) just tax those who aren't even buying the service to cover the difference. That's not appropriate

Reactions: 3 users
I pay taxes for others’ kids’ schooling, for roads I never use, for religious institutions that never pay taxes, for bailout for billion $ companies etc etc etc.

Why is the line drawn at trying to give so many millions the tools and resources to allow for better personal (and hence national) health?

I pay taxes for others’ kids’ schooling, for roads I never use, for religious institutions that never pay taxes, for bailout for billion $ companies etc etc etc.

Why is the line drawn at trying to give so many millions the tools and resources to allow for better personal (and hence national) health?
You incorrectly imply here that I would support those things too

You incorrectly imply here that I would support those things too

So only those who can afford to pay toll taxes get to drive?

Only those with kids have to pay towards the upkeep of a school?

If that is what you truly believe then we can never have a meeting of the minds, but given that society as a whole is made up of individual “sections”, one cannot say that the society is doing well when so many are suffering.

That’s like looking at the WBC in a GIB... looks good, but no indication as to the actual picture.

So only those who can afford to pay toll taxes get to drive?

Only those with kids have to pay towards the upkeep of a school?

If that is what you truly believe then we can never have a meeting of the minds, but given that society as a whole is made up of individual “sections”, one cannot say that the society is doing well when so many are suffering.

That’s like looking at the WBC in a GIB... looks good, but no indication as to the actual picture.
It’s not “suffering” to pay for what you use. And they way many roads are funded, they actually are largely user fees via impact fees/gas tax/tolls

It’s not “suffering” to pay for what you use. And they way many roads are funded, they actually are largely user fees via impact fees/gas tax/tolls

Suffering as in minimum wages, minimum (if any) benefits, wage theft, a mind set that you must sacrifice yourself for the job. (See Walmart and how so many of its workforce relies on food stamps despite working near or at full time)

There are MANY benefits that people enjoy w/o having to pay for them and there are MANY benefits that people do not use despite paying for them, and for me that is part of being in a society. Strive to better your lot but help others do a little better as well.

Having someone be on HD and a vent, but saying things are hunky dory cos the pt can move their R hand is not an accurate picture of what is going on.

By your logic, if your house is on fire, you would have to pay a private company, who could charge what they want before they try to save your house.
And if you can afford it, good for you, but consider the MILLIONS that cannot, and not all of them are in dire straits due to their own decisions, sometimes **** happens even to those trying their best.

Suffering as in minimum wages, minimum (if any) benefits, wage theft, a mind set that you must sacrifice yourself for the job. (See Walmart and how so many of its workforce relies on food stamps despite working near or at full time)

There are MANY benefits that people enjoy w/o having to pay for them and there are MANY benefits that people do not use despite paying for them, and for me that is part of being in a society. Strive to better your lot but help others do a little better as well.

Having someone be on HD and a vent, but saying things are hunky dory cos the pt can move their R hand is not an accurate picture of what is going on.

By your logic, if your house is on fire, you would have to pay a private company, who could charge what they want before they try to save your house.
And if you can afford it, good for you, but consider the MILLIONS that cannot, and not all of them are in dire straits due to their own decisions, sometimes **** happens even to those trying their best.
There is a lot to unpack there.

1. Yep, you should buy private coverage for fire. Not only will the govt not protect your home for free, they will literally send the police to your home and throw you out if you don’t pay the bill.

2. Theft is bad. You snuck that in there as though it’s something anyone is defending.

3. If you are an unhappy walmart worker, take your skills down the road to someone wanting to pay your more. If there is no one wanting to pay more, you are likely appropriately compensated and you need different skills. Not all skills are financially worth the money it takes to support a family, get more lucrative skills.

Well if you are ever in a situation where you need police, EMT, firemen etc then make sure to stand by on principle and not call them. But as with most sane people in that situation, you will since at that moment your safety and perhaps livelihood will be at risk.

It is easy to say “just get a better job” etc but keep in mind that the concept of minimum wage was to allow the somewhat comfortable ability to raise a family. Yet when minimum wage hasn’t been raised in 10 YEARS and it takes an average of 50-60 hours of minimum wage work just to afford an apartment (never mind food, transport, medications etc), then there is a system issue and not a personal issue.

We are lucky to be in a high demand job that pays well and likely will never be obsolete (Yes all of us worked hard etc).
Not everyone has the means (physical or mental) - and for sure LOTS of people are lazy and are OK with coasting - and don’t forget that we all need (or perhaps “should appreciate”) the folks working at WalMart, McDs, Amazon etc that make our life so much easier.

You are enjoying lots of perks that the government “forced” on private businesses.
Your car is safer due to regulations from seat belts to tires (free market would NOT have fixed that since every company can (and has) collude/agree to not implement something so costs don’t go up)
Your plane doesn’t crash into another plane (see plane crash over Grand Canyon) due to the formation of FAA.
Your water (except in MI) has some basic level of cleanliness.
Your house doesn’t burn down ‘cos the government “forced” only licensed professionals to work on it and maintain a minimum standard.

To me, you sound like some of my good friends who are OK with the flagrant discriminations that are going on (since we discussed that aspect in another thread), where they are OK with businesses refusing folks based on their sexual orientation and they say that they would be OK if they were forced out of a job, yet being white, Christians the chances of that happening are none to zero.

If they were to spend a day in another race, sex, religions shoes then I am sure their tune would change.

Similarly you enjoy lots of perks that the government has given you, but after a certain basic level, since you are then able to afford the other perks, then all of a sudden “Government bad” :rolleyes:

As with the other thread, we will not convince each other so the above verbal diarrhea from me was to try to make convince someone who may be on the fence, to not go down your path :).

Agree to disagree.

Well if you are ever in a situation where you need police, EMT, firemen etc then make sure to stand by on principle and not call them. But as with most sane people in that situation, you will since at that moment your safety and perhaps livelihood will be at risk.

It is easy to say “just get a better job” etc but keep in mind that the concept of minimum wage was to allow the somewhat comfortable ability to raise a family. Yet when minimum wage hasn’t been raised in 10 YEARS and it takes an average of 50-60 hours of minimum wage work just to afford an apartment (never mind food, transport, medications etc), then there is a system issue and not a personal issue.

We are lucky to be in a high demand job that pays well and likely will never be obsolete (Yes all of us worked hard etc).
Not everyone has the means (physical or mental) - and for sure LOTS of people are lazy and are OK with coasting - and don’t forget that we all need (or perhaps “should appreciate”) the folks working at WalMart, McDs, Amazon etc that make our life so much easier.

You are enjoying lots of perks that the government “forced” on private businesses.
Your car is safer due to regulations from seat belts to tires (free market would NOT have fixed that since every company can (and has) collude/agree to not implement something so costs don’t go up)
Your plane doesn’t crash into another plane (see plane crash over Grand Canyon) due to the formation of FAA.
Your water (except in MI) has some basic level of cleanliness.
Your house doesn’t burn down ‘cos the government “forced” only licensed professionals to work on it and maintain a minimum standard.

To me, you sound like some of my good friends who are OK with the flagrant discriminations that are going on (since we discussed that aspect in another thread), where they are OK with businesses refusing folks based on their sexual orientation and they say that they would be OK if they were forced out of a job, yet being white, Christians the chances of that happening are none to zero.

If they were to spend a day in another race, sex, religions shoes then I am sure their tune would change.

Similarly you enjoy lots of perks that the government has given you, but after a certain basic level, since you are then able to afford the other perks, then all of a sudden “Government bad” :rolleyes:

As with the other thread, we will not convince each other so the above verbal diarrhea from me was to try to make convince someone who may be on the fence, to not go down your path :).

Agree to disagree.
as an above avg tax payer, I actually did pay that emt/cop/fireman. You are bad at building strawmen

Business is very capable of building safe things without govt. I was in construction and you overestimate the necessity of a govt license to being a knowledgeable tradesman.

I'm not ok with discrimination like you propose I am. I just don't think we need a cop to fix it. It can be solved by the customers leaving. Again, you are bad at strawmen

as an above avg tax payer, I actually did pay that emt/cop/fireman. You are bad at building strawmen

Business is very capable of building safe things without govt. I was in construction and you overestimate the necessity of a govt license to being a knowledgeable tradesman.

I'm not ok with discrimination like you propose I am. I just don't think we need a cop to fix it. It can be solved by the customers leaving. Again, you are bad at strawmen

So you are OK with paying for police even though you might not use it and they could help someone who didn’t pay for it?

Just look at ALL the pollution, oil spills, factory fires and explosions, worker safety violations are currently happening WITH government sanctions and you think if there was no government then these businesses will magically not care only about their bottom line and actually listen to engineers when they tell them that their airplanes are ****?

When a whole state can discriminate against you then your proposed recourse would be “tough ****, just move to another state” which again is easy to say when ones risk of being that downtrodden minority is low.

By your logic, all the black folks should have just shut up and moved to friendlier states... and I don’t think that that is right or feasible.

Folks, please don’t listen to this guy.
Have a heart.... and use your brain a little.

So you are OK with paying for police even though you might not use it and they could help someone who didn’t pay for it?

Just look at ALL the pollution, oil spills, factory fires and explosions, worker safety violations are currently happening WITH government sanctions and you think if there was no government then these businesses will magically not care only about their bottom line and actually listen to engineers when they tell them that their airplanes are ****?

When a whole state can discriminate against you then your proposed recourse would be “tough ****, just move to another state” which again is easy to say when ones risk of being that downtrodden minority is low.

By your logic, all the black folks should have just shut up and moved to friendlier states... and I don’t think that that is right or feasible.

Folks, please don’t listen to this guy.
Have a heart.... and use your brain a little.
Again, a lot to unpack.

Police is a unique service to the rest (you keep trying to compare them) because they are the actual enforcement arm of govt. I would definitely prefer a flat fee per resident or property owner (most are funded via a mileage rate on property tax) but police are pretty close to every pays because property owners pass that expense to the renters

As for the environment, strawman. I’m not asking for no govt. I am saying, and I’m right, that govt isn’t required to be in every little thing to make stuff better and govt isn’t in any way guaranteed to be flawlessly benevolent when compared to private industry.

Discrimination by race, again, is evil. And everytime is it was universal in a region it was that way because the govt enforced it to be. Every time the govt stopped enforcing it from being universal it happened because a lot of the people already wanted to stop their discrimination. So no, I don’t think the govt is required in discrimination cases because people can handle that on their own. I certainly wouldn’t eat in a place that didn’t allow hispanics or blacks...would you?

Welcome to the land of freedom called USA, where people get to elect who get to screw them over and get paid $160k per year for doing so. This is in addition to the millions they receive from the corporations for betraying the gullible. Move over Sanders and Warren. We don’t need your socialism and communism, we want to preserve the freedom to get ourselves screwed. We don’t want the government to control all aspects of our life.

Welcome to the land of freedom called USA, where people get to elect who get to screw them over and get paid $160k per year for doing so. This is in addition to the millions they receive from the corporations for betraying the gullible. Move over Sanders and Warren. We don’t need your socialism and communism, we want to preserve the freedom to get ourselves screwed. We don’t want the government to control all aspects of our life.

First govt shouldn't be involved enough in this have an impact

Second, as they are... no there shouldn't be an extra fee to punish those with good insurance. No the health insurance industry shouldn't have special taxes applied to it. No, the govt shouldn't be price fixing drugs or capturing so much of the market that they essentially do so via monopoly

When it comes to screw the common man and do favor for corporations, rich and powerful, bipartisanship happens naturally with no issues. But When it comes to doing anything remotely good to the common people, nothing gets advanced. Isn’t it amazing? The highlight is that the majority of the people think that this is normal and it is best for them.

When it comes to screw the common man and do favor for corporations, rich and powerful, bipartisanship happens naturally with no issues. But When it comes to doing anything remotely good to the common people, nothing gets advanced. Isn’t it amazing? The highlight is that the majority of the people think that this is normal and it is best for them.
it's almost like govt shouldn't be trusted to be as powerful as it is....huh?

Government's purpose is to solve problems.
Oh dear God no.

Govt is supposed to protect rights, and do their best to avoid causing problems in the process. Solving all your problems isn’t at all the role of govt, get yourself a personal assistant for that

Reactions: 5 users
Oh dear God no.

Govt is supposed to protect rights, and do their best to avoid causing problems in the process. Solving all your problems isn’t at all the role of govt, get yourself a personal assistant for that
Free-market economics and massive deregulation doesn't solve problems, it creates them. It's already been proven throughout history. Get over it. No one is going to favor for an Ayn-Rand-Milton-Friedman world in the 21st Century when you got working-class.

Pay attention to the protests that is occurring around the world. People are standing up against neoliberalism.

it's almost like govt shouldn't be trusted to be as powerful as it is....huh?
You are getting confused again. The Government is doing all right. The cancer that is causing problems is the conglomerate of the corrupt politicians, corporations, rich and powerful.

You are getting confused again. The Government is doing all right. The cancer that is causing problems is the conglomerate of the corrupt politicians, corporations, rich and powerful.
What do you think the government is if not the politicians who, you know, run it?

Free-market economics and massive deregulation doesn't solve problems, it creates them. It's already been proven throughout history. Get over it. No one is going to favor for an Ayn-Rand-Milton-Friedman world in the 21st Century when you got working-class.

Pay attention to the protests that is occurring around the world. People are standing up against neoliberalism.
It hasn’t been proven though out history that capitalism is bad, quite the opposite

Explain how your ideal govt stays as huge and powerful as it is without corruption...For real

Discrimination by race, again, is evil. And everytime is it was universal in a region it was that way because the govt enforced it to be. Every time the govt stopped enforcing it from being universal it happened because a lot of the people already wanted to stop their discrimination. So no, I don’t think the govt is required in discrimination cases because people can handle that on their own. I certainly wouldn’t eat in a place that didn’t allow hispanics or blacks...would you?
If you really believe that, you are not a rational human being...

It hasn’t been proven though out history that capitalism is bad, quite the opposite
Spewing that Cold War propoganda.

As long the working-class exist, an unregulated-capitalistic non-interventionist government will not work. It's already been proven with the aftermath of the Industrial Revolution and the 1929 market crash. Why do you think modern socialism exist in the first place?

Spewing that Cold War propoganda.

As long the working-class exist, an unregulated-capitalistic non-interventionist government will not work. It's already been proven with the aftermath of the Industrial Revolution and the 1929 market crash. Why do you think modern socialism exist in the first place?
Modern socialism exists because there will always be some popularity in pretending the guy with more stuff than you must be unethical because there is no way they (or their parents) were smarter or worked harder. And taking stuff from bad guys as opposed to admitting you are in fact the bad guy is also popular

If you don’t want to be the working class, take the risks and become the owner. Start your own thing and employ the workers

Reactions: 4 users