Thoughts on CCM Programs for EM grads..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musikmonk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post to SDN.. Wanted to thank you all for making this such an informative site!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the following 2-yr programs which are interested in recruiting EPs:

Indiana University (Multi-disciplinary)
GWH/Georgetown (IM)
Henry Ford (Surgical)
UF-Gainesville (Anesthesia)
Penn State (IM)
Wash U

Apparently UAB and Beth-Israel have put there programs on hold this year, while Pitt requires that applicants apply with their IM counterparts (1 yr earlier than the other programs).

Does anyone have insight on what will happen to the EM/Multi-disciplinary programs now with the ABMS decision to allow certification through IM CCM tracks?

Any info would help...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As an EM grad, if you have the choice between doing a fellowship that leads to US board certification (IM CC), vs doing on that doesn't (anesthesia or surgery, or European boards), it seems pretty clear that you should do the one that leads to US board certification. Will you be able to get a CC job doing one of the others? Yes. Will you be able to get more jobs being US board certified? Yes.

I think application to these other types of programs is likely to drop off now that US board certification is open to EM grads through IM CC.

You could make other arguments like - I wanna do surgical CC, or only do a 1 yr fellowship, but those are my 2 cents. I'd go for the path that leads to US board certification.

Im pretty interested in this as well. I think if you are itnerested in only working in an emergency department are lookign for a competitive edge in an academic setting and a niche in CC it probably doesnt matter where you do a fellowship. Programs like inidiana seem to be tailored to a EM grad with moonlighting opportunities. If you are instead interested in a career in CC and staffing an ICU, going to a fellowship that gives an opportunity for certifcation in the US seems more reasonable IMHO.

Pittsburgh seems to be talked about with some relative frequency, but again I believe this is more for people who are interested in academics and want to work upstairs in an ICU.

Id like to see some of the other big CC alone programs take EM grads, like U of washington in Seattle, I think we have our own unique skill sets to offer.

Also the application cycle is no longer one year earlier, as ERAS has been moved to June of final year of residency for most applciations starting this year as compared to December/january in years past.

https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/187146/imsub_change.html