Thoughts on Locum Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamMaker06

Reaction score
I wanted some insight of what you have experienced with locum positions. Pay rates, flexibility, is it worth it to make a career just out of locums. Is anyone currently doing locums? Seems like there are a ton of companies always calling and recruiting. What ones have you have good experiences with and what ones have you had bad experiences with?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a nice $$$$ option. Learning new hospitals, EMRs can be rough in the beginning but you get the hang of it. Short term it's fine if you have academic career aspirations. Wouldn't do it long term though.

If you're just about the money, are younger and can put in the hours then locum is very nice $$$$$$$$$$. One guy I worked with did nothing but locum, worked about 3/4 weeks a month as nocturnist - made 500$K+ per year.

When you say you wouldn't do it long term are you referring to making it a career or length of the jobs? I have heard of jobs being available for 6 month to 12 months and some as little as just picking up shifts on the weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a nice $$$$ option. Learning new hospitals, EMRs can be rough in the beginning but you get the hang of it. Short term it's fine if you have academic career aspirations. Wouldn't do it long term though.

If you're just about the money, are younger and can put in the hours then locum is very nice $$$$$$$$$$. One guy I worked with did nothing but locum, worked about 3/4 weeks a month as nocturnist - made 500$K+ per year.
Well, yeah man… but that’s 3/4 weeks as a nocturnist locums…..

Reactions: 1 users
I wanted some insight of what you have experienced with locum positions. Pay rates, flexibility, is it worth it to make a career just out of locums. Is anyone currently doing locums? Seems like there are a ton of companies always calling and recruiting. What ones have you have good experiences with and what ones have you had bad experiences with?
I would suggest you search my "guide to locums" in this forum.

what is the locum rate for 24h coverage? I was offered 2600 (1400 fixed stipend + billing for your encounters (about 13 encounters daily = 1200) for 24h coverage for a critical access hospital. No transportation but provides a room in hospital during stay.

what should be the target rate?

Last edited:
what is the locum rate for 24h coverage? I was offered 2600 (1400 fixed stipend + billing for your encounters (about 13 encounters daily = 1200) for 24h coverage for a critical access hospital. No transportation but provides a room in hospital during stay.

I would not do a job like that for anything less < 3000. That's just me.

Reactions: 1 user

The fixed stipend amounts to $58/hr. Nurses are making more than this.

The ability to bill for encounters is a Red herring.

What happens with an uninsured patient? What happens when an insurance company refuses to pay or drags their feet? Hospital won't care. Your professional fee is nothing in the grand scheme.

Who is doing your billing? How much are they skimming?

Plus no transportation.

Insulting.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not working for < $2200/day (12 hrs) as a hospitalist, and If I have to travel for more than 1 hr, you gotta pay for all the accommodations. As @anonperson said, RN are making $100-130/hr these days, so I don't get why docs are accepting insulting offers.

Physicians should stop letting these people take advantage of them. I was shocked to learn that the top physician recruiters make 1-1.2 million dollars annually. If they are making that kind of money off me, they got to pay me well.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been doin some research and ive been finding FM locum positions going for $95/hr up to around $115/hr. These are ones that are full time for around 3-6 month assignments. I think that's a pretty fair rate.

These rates are for outpatient facilities btw not hospitals. I have not looked into those as much

I've been doin some research and ive been finding FM locum positions going for $95/hr up to around $115/hr. These are ones that are full time for around 3-6 month assignments. I think that's a pretty fair rate.
No primary care physicians should work for these rates --especially locum.

unfair scream queens GIF

so update;

I finally negotiated for 3000$ per 24h shift. They agreed verbally. Then sent me a contract and promised to give me shift. I review the contract and the rate on it is 1400$. I reached out to them about correct. it has been 3 days so far. no correction yet.

This is so disappointing. Are these healthcare cooperation that shady? yikes.

so update;

I finally negotiated for 3000$ per 24h shift. They agreed verbally. Then sent me a contract and promised to give me shift. I review the contract and the rate on it is 1400$. I reached out to them about correct. it has been 3 days so far. no correction yet.

yikes. thats a BIG red flag.

so update;

You are a PCP and there is 100 decent jobs out there at the tip of your fingers; why...?

You are a PCP and there is 100 decent jobs out there at the tip of your fingers; why...?
this is for a hospitalist locum opportunity. I already have a job. just working on prn to supplement my income and work towards FIRE.

this is for a hospitalist locum opportunity. I already have a job. just working on prn to supplement my income and work towards FIRE.
Hospitalist locum where I am get paid at least $2000 for 12hrs. You should not be working for less than $1800. One of my friends is getting ~$2300 ($190/hr) two hrs away. She can even leave early and she thinks she is getting exploited.

Last edited:
No primary care physicians should work for these rates --especially locum.
You point me in the direction of a locums provider that is going to pay more than $120/hr M-F 8-5 on every assignment. Most of these that I have been quoted on are for travel assignments that include Travel and Living accommodations for the 3-6 months.