Thoughts on MA/MSW from Practicing Therapists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradocutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read alot of posts on this forum about master's level practictioners and the opinions run the gamut. It sounds like whether or not this makes sense depends on alot of things - including the state you live in and licensure issues.

I didn't apply to MA/MSW programs this year, but opted for PhD and PsyD programs. I have 2 interviews this year, so we'll see. But since I want to practice, it seems so silly to get a research heavy degree and spend 5-6 years or longer (if something goes wrong with my research/data) when I want to practice. However, with the MA, in my state, you have to do a 2-year internship, so at least with most PsyDs, it starts to get close. That was my logic - perhaps that is silly.

I was interested in any practicing therapists thoughts on the practical distinction between Masters/Doctoral level practitioners in your state. In my state, most Masters folks tell me to do Masters. Most doctoral say if you want to do therapy, there really is not much of a difference in what you will make if you are not having to worry about reimbursement.

In Boulder, for example, if you are good and you get the right clientele, they don't care about co-pays. My therapist charges $125 an hour, she files my reimbursement for me as a courtesy, but I have a cap on my amount through my insurance. I don't stop seeing her. Most of her clients don't even care. She said that a masters level practictioner near here billed more due to her experience and expertise in child area. In that situation, which may be the exception, it sounds like it doesn't really matter, but instead it's all about marketing and niche.

I don't know - maybe that's just an isolated instance. I'd be interested on any thoughts. One of the PsyD programs I am looking at - University of Denver is $100k to attend. Great program, but good grief, that just sounds like a dumb idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Denver and was also interested in DU's PsyD program until I crunched some numbers and realized that the salary I would be commanding after graduation wouldn't come close to offsetting a student-loan bill the size of a mortgage payment. It's something that you can't ignore.

I'm at CU-Denver's Counseling Psych Master's program and am finding it meets my needs perfectly. And, you're right.. if you're not interested in research then a PhD does not make much sense because you would be miserable for 5-6 years. A terminal Master's will allow you to practice and if at some point in the future you decide to go further you still can.

One word about Colorado... from what I am hearing it's saturated with mental health professionals -- especially Boulder. Expecting a thriving private practice full of self-pay clients at $125 an hour right off the bat is not realistic IMO. I'd take a look at the department of labor's statistics for more info about median salaries to see if it's something you'd be willing to accept. Psychologists do make more than Master's level therapists, but not by much... especially after taking $125k+ in debt into account.