Thoughts on my school list/what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gjackson64

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 502 MCAT and with 2nd attempt got a 500 (don't ask, literally don' know what happened on test day as I was averaging 510 on AAMC practice). Anyways, I have a 3.55 GPA & 3.3 GPA, a lot of leadership, clinical experience, research and volunteering. I'm a FL resident and have compiled a list of DO schools I'm considering applying to and was hoping for some input. I've been doing some research, but I really don't know that much about DO schools & certain reputations associated with schools so I was hoping for some input. Thanks!
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CCOM
  • KCU-COM
  • LECOM-BRADENTON
  • NYITCOM
  • NOVA
  • PCOM
  • GA-PCOM
  • RVU-COM
  • TOUROCOM-NY
  • TOUROCOM-CA
  • UNTHSC/TCOM
  • WESTERN U/COMP

Members don't see this ad.

Have you shadowed a DO? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO?

!
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • KCU-COM
  • LECOM-BRADENTON
  • NYITCOM
  • PCOM
  • GA-PCOM
  • RVU-COM
  • UNTHSC/TCOM
  • WESTERN U/COMP
Go with these and add
PacNW
MUCOM
ACOM
DMU
Lecom
MUCOM IF you're from the Northeast
Com
BCOM
ARCOM
UIW

Members don't see this ad :)
!
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • KCU-COM
  • LECOM-BRADENTON
  • NYITCOM
  • PCOM
  • GA-PCOM
  • RVU-COM
  • UNTHSC/TCOM
  • WESTERN U/COMP
Go with these and add
PacNW
MUCOM
ACOM
DMU
Lecom
MUCOM IF you're from the Northeast
Com
BCOM
ARCOM
UIW
Thanks!

You better get on that because there are several schools that do require a DO letter. Also, many secondaries are going to ask "Why osteopathic medicine?" and it's going to be hard for you to answer that if you never shadowed a DO before.

Reactions: 1 users
You better get on that because there are several schools that do require a DO letter. Also, many secondaries are going to ask "Why osteopathic medicine?" and it's going to be hard for you to answer that if you never shadowed a DO before.
and @Goro
Is using a MD-written letter to apply to DO schools a no-go?

and @Goro
Is using a MD-written letter to apply to DO schools a no-go?
Most schools require either a MD or DO letter. Some require DO letter only. A handful strongly recommend a MD/DO letter but it is not a requirement. I would look at the admissions website of each school you are interested in applying to and see what they say. I do strongly suggest for everybody who applies to osteopathic medical schools to have shadowed a DO before.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 502 MCAT and with 2nd attempt got a 500 (don't ask, literally don' know what happened on test day as I was averaging 510 on AAMC practice). Anyways, I have a 3.55 GPA & 3.3 GPA, a lot of leadership, clinical experience, research and volunteering. I'm a FL resident and have compiled a list of DO schools I'm considering applying to and was hoping for some input. I've been doing some research, but I really don't know that much about DO schools & certain reputations associated with schools so I was hoping for some input. Thanks!
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CCOM
  • KCU-COM
  • LECOM-BRADENTON
  • NYITCOM
  • NOVA
  • PCOM
  • GA-PCOM
  • RVU-COM
  • TOUROCOM-NY
  • TOUROCOM-CA
  • UNTHSC/TCOM
  • WESTERN U/COMP

UNTHSC/TCOM has a high in-state preference as >90% of the class are Texas residents. That said, it might just be worth it to apply as it is a relatively cheap application and the potential pay off ($13,000/yr) is great.

Additionally an MD LOR won' hurt you unless the school specifically requires a DO letter. I had an MD letter and was successful in receiving multiple interviews.

ARCOM for one specifically requires a DO letter.