Thoughts on the tone here/people feeling attacked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone makes stupid decisions here and there, and it's ok to acknowledge when you do. Helps you not make similar stupid decisions. As for the burden on society, yes, out of control student loan debt is a burden on society, and some of these people are blithely complicit.
And these impacts on society from these programs are not just debt-based. I suspect there would be far less criticism of choices about attending for-profit programs if they provided stellar outcomes and training that was highly recognized in the field (rather than mocked, as is more frequent). While the economic argument about ROI would likely continue, it wouldn't be in addition to the 'this is bad for the field'

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that this is a myopic analysis of a huge social problem, and your conceptualization of what complicity is is troubling.

I think people's views on debt are a myopic analysis to how to navigate life in many circumstances, and that's what I find troubling.

Members don't see this ad :)
And these impacts on society from these programs are not just debt-based. I suspect there would be far less criticism of choices about attending for-profit programs if they provided stellar outcomes and training that was highly recognized in the field (rather than mocked, as is more frequent). While the economic argument about ROI would likely continue, it wouldn't be in addition to the 'this is bad for the field'
I think this is a more productive line of criticism, personally. Though I maintain that the students being exploited by these institutions should not be considered "complicit" in their exploitation.

Very true, there are "levels" of bad in this scenario. Not only are people making poor financial decisions that significantly influence not only themselves, but society as a whole, but it is doing nothing to further the "common good" in healthcare by churning out poorly trained clinicians into saturated markets. Making it a bad decision almost all around, very little in the ways of redeeming qualities.

I think this is a more productive line of criticism, personally. Though I maintain that the students being exploited by these institutions should not be considered "complicit" in their exploitation.

I am not a believer that ignorance of consequences excuses you from culpability of said consequences. I am all about shutting down predatory schools, but the information is widely available before anyone makes a decision.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with you to a degree. Folks often don't know where they are going and some of that is because of misleading/poor information. These programs certainly do their best to make that the case. Some of it is also because they opt not to know. This is evident here quite often. Information is available for them. And, if you are making choices about your career then you have responsibility in that. People need to do their diligence to know what is necessary. It is note purely a forced upon them situation. We have all made bad choices. We are responsible for our part in them

Reactions: 2 users
I think people's views on debt are a myopic analysis to how to navigate life in many circumstances, and that's what I find troubling.
I don't understand your point.

Very true, there are "levels" of bad in this scenario. Not only are people making poor financial decisions that significantly influence not only themselves, but society as a whole, but it is doing nothing to further the "common good" in healthcare by churning out poorly trained clinicians into saturated markets. Making it a bad decision almost all around, very little in the ways of redeeming qualities.
I maintain that it is absolutely ridiculous to place the onus of responsibility on the individuals getting screwed when there are demonstrably different material circumstances that influence those decisions. It is increasingly difficult for individuals to make financial decisions that aren't going to utterly **** them, is the point I'm making.

These specific circumstances and sets of decisions that people are faced with are shaped by the people who are actually benefiting off of the problem, and they are the ones that are culpable and complicit.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand your point.

I maintain that it is absolutely ridiculous to place the onus of responsibility on the individuals getting screwed when there are demonstrably different material circumstances that influence those decisions. It is increasingly difficult for individuals to make financial decisions that aren't going to utterly **** them, is the point I'm making.

These specific circumstances and sets of decisions that people are faced with are shaped by the people who are actually benefiting off of the problem, and they are the ones that are culpable and complicit.

The point is that people make decisions on limited information, despite all of the information being available. Some have trouble looking and make rash decisions based on bad information, some consciously dismiss information that goes against their pre-made decisions, as we see often here.

I maintain that it's absolutely ridiculous to completely absolve the individual of their portion of responsibility in these circumstances. Everything they need to make an informed decision is readily available. Most of the time it can be found by doing a 10 second google search and a few quick calculations. The predatory institutions shoulder some of the blame, but it's ludicrous to treat the students taking these loans out as 100% innocent in the process.

I agree with you to a degree. Folks often don't know where they are going and some of that is because of misleading/poor information. These programs certainly do their best to make that the case. Some of it is also because they opt not to know. This is evident here quite often. Information is available for them. And, if you are making choices about your career then you have responsibility in that. People need to do their diligence to know what is necessary. It is note purely a forced upon them situation. We have all made bad choices. We are responsible for our part in them
Alright I'm willing to get on board with this to some degree. I still think it is not particularly useful to focus on the students' responsibility for getting ****ed over when there is a very clear, asymmetrical power dynamic. That said, I recognize that this would be the place for people to get the information that these institutions are predatory.

I still think it's worth being mindful of the framing. When we work with people in abusive relationships, we're operating on a similar dynamic, I think. Yes, you're trying to help them understand their agency in a situation, which does call into question their choices and responsibility for their own well-being. But I'm of the belief that it does absolutely no good to call them stupid for staying in a dangerous situation, or stigmatizing them for being a drain on society. I think that is flat out bad psychology.

I still think it's worth being mindful of the framing. When we work with people in abusive relationships, we're operating on a similar dynamic, I think. Yes, you're trying to help them understand their agency in a situation, which does call into question their choices and responsibility for their own well-being. But I'm of the belief that it does absolutely no good to call them stupid for staying in a dangerous situation, or stigmatizing them for being a drain on society. I think that is flat out bad psychology.

I think this false equivalency helps no one here, though it is the most common refrain we see on SDN, it's intellectually lazy. One can have certain views on debt and education, that have no bearing on their clinical work. As someone who actively works with PTSD and abuse, it's insulting to equate taking out a bad loan to being a victim of domestic violence. Flat out bad logic, and flat out demeaning to those who have survived such things.

Reactions: 5 users
Alright I'm willing to get on board with this to some degree. I still think it is not particularly useful to focus on the students' responsibility for getting ****ed over when there is a very clear, asymmetrical power dynamic. That said, I recognize that this would be the place for people to get the information that these institutions are predatory.

Everything contains a power dynamic. There will /never/ be equal powers in any way, in this situation or any other (personal, professional, etc). That does not absolve anyone of responsibility. Also, this doesn't mean that responsibility is absolute and zero-sum, but personal choices do play a role. This is simply a central aspect to life.

It's worth noting that we take difference approaches to these two groups (students, predatory programs). For the first we advise and spend our time here providing information and advice on how to navigate these barriers (for those posting and for those browsing). For the later, we see them as a systemic problem and advocate them being shut down. When we advise folks, very often we are told we are wrong or they opt to ignore our advice. There is also a major distinction between making a bad choice and having that identified correctly and calling a person stupid. The former is part of what a good adviser or friend will do.

Also, bad mental health providers/systems is a drain on society. We need good healthcare. If we are going to value mental health, then we have to say 'we want good healthcare for those needs'. I get that can be an unpleasant thought if you don't see yourself as providing good healthcare, but that doens't mean this isn't a drain.

Reactions: 3 users
I think this false equivalency helps no one here, though it is the most common refrain we see on SDN, it's intellectually lazy. One can have certain views on debt and education, that have no bearing on their clinical work. As someone who actively works with PTSD and abuse, it's insulting to equate taking out a bad loan to being a victim of domestic violence. Flat out bad logic, and flat out demeaning to those who have survived such things.
Considering the trauma that crushing debt and poverty can cause, I think it's incredibly disingenuous to dismiss this parallel. I also work with PTSD and domestic abuse, so you can't just use your authority on the subject to dismiss mine because it upsets you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think "bad decisions" are much more complex than you're making them out to be and that gets at the very heart of the critique I'm making here.
I don't think that personal decisions are above criticism, and there were plenty people who engaged in a respectful enough way to honestly explore the pros and cons of that decision without adding to the psychological burden of people in that position. I agree with those things you're advocating, but making insulting categorical claims about the people who made the decisions to take out loans is already going beyond simple criticism of the decision itself. It also reveals that some of you are not critically engaging with the complex myriad of reasons people would make that decision; just because it often has a precarious financial outcome and you personally wouldn't make it does not automatically render it a categorically bad decision. A simplistic characterisation of a decision that people make for a wide variety of reasons betrays bad analysis - but when it's also insulting, then that bad analysis takes on a much more pernicious quality.
Saying "I think it's a bad idea to take out student loans for x, y, and z reasons" is very different than talking about how people who take out student loans are irresponsible idiots.

I don't think that this particular issue that I'm challenging some posters in here on is just a matter of "being a bigger person" - I think the attitude I'm challenging here has very real clinical implications and make me question the capacity of people who hold it to work with people who are struggling with or affected by this issue, or more broadly, by poverty.

First of all, not everyone was making categorical claims. This is where people need to distinguish the nuances of similar opinions. I have loans out from school. The difference is that I followed my personal rule (by happenstance at the time) of not taking out more loans that your first year professional salary. As a result of this and making payment a priority, I will be done with them before I hit my 10th year in practice. I would advocate the same to for any area of education here are some bad ideas in education that I am against:

- Paying $150k to a third rate private college instead of going to community college when you don't know what you want to do with your life. $150k in debt for a psychology, anthropology, etc is a bad financial move
- Choosing to become a foriegn medical grad and then re-enter the U.S. instead of exploring the PA/NP routes
- Choosing a poor quality for profit PsyD/PhD program instead of a good quality masters program to become a MH professional

These are all expensive shortcuts in our educational system and I don't feel bad if someone fails to attain their way through a shortcut.

What I really dislike is these people coming here and telling me I am "elitist" simply because I am not for them taking a shortcut into my profession, struggling to pay off their massive loan debt, and taking a poor paying job that drags down wages in the field. Why would I be for that? This is the reason ABPP is being pushed. I now need to jump through an extra professional hoop and pay money to differentiate myself from a problem I did not create. Not everyone gets to be a clinical psychologist and frankly, this is a terrible profession if you are poor. These programs are not meant for the poor. They were meant for the well-off to give their family that could not compete academically a foothold in the upper middle class. There is a reason that most of these programs operate in major well to do cities across the country. The people I know that went to these expensive programs are often white women, several had parents foot the bill entirely, and they are often married or getting married to someone with a six figure income that far exceeds their own. Now that this market is tapped and student loans are easy to obtain, the hopes ans dreams of those that may not be able to realistically attain this degree is easy pickings. So, I am the bad person for "crushing their dreams" rather than the institution being bad for offering a pipe dream that is unrealistic. Okay.

EDIT: If I really wanted to be mean to people, I would encourage going to these programs as much as possible, allow them to get into debt, and start a private practice. Then hire as many of these people that get licensed for a poor salary knowing that they are in financial indentured servitude due to debt, and then retire to Florida in my Ferrari.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Considering the trauma that crushing debt and poverty can cause, I think it's incredibly disingenuous to dismiss this parallel. I also work with PTSD and domestic abuse, so you can't just use your authority on the subject to dismiss mine because it upsets you.

I think it's more than appropriate to dismiss that parallel, it is simply ludicrous and insulting. It's also more than appropriate to call out the false equivalency ad hominems that float around concerning that someone who has string views on students and predatory programs must be a bad clinician. Lazy, inaccurate, illogical, etc.

I think it's more than appropriate to dismiss that parallel, it is simply ludicrous and insulting. It's also more than appropriate to call out the false equivalency ad hominems that float around concerning that someone who has string views on students and predatory programs must be a bad clinician. Lazy, inaccurate, illogical, etc.
You mean criteria A doesn't include 'debt'?

Everything contains a power dynamic. There will /never/ be equal powers in any way, in this situation or any other (personal, professional, etc). That does not absolve anyone of responsibility. Also, this doesn't mean that responsibility is absolute and zero-sum, but personal choices do play a role. This is simply a central aspect to life.

It's worth noting that we take difference approaches to these two groups (students, predatory programs). For the first we advise and spend our time here providing information and advice on how to navigate these barriers (for those posting and for those browsing). For the later, we see them as a systemic problem and advocate them being shut down. When we advise folks, very often we are told we are wrong or they opt to ignore our advice. There is also a major distinction between making a bad choice and having that identified correctly and calling a person stupid. The former is part of what a good adviser or friend will do.

Also, bad mental health providers/systems is a drain on society. We need good healthcare. If we are going to value mental health, then we have to say 'we want good healthcare for those needs'. I get that can be an unpleasant thought if you don't see yourself as providing good healthcare, but that doens't mean this isn't a drain.
I think I can generally get behind your framing and approach to the problem and I think you've done a reasonably good job synthesizing some of the issues. I still don't think it's quite as clear of a decision as some people are making it out to be, but I'm happy that there are people trying to think about how to make that information more available.

I agree with bad training being a problem. Though I think that's very different than the "financial drain on taxpayers that loan borrowers have on society" argument that was made earlier.

First of all, not everyone was making categorical claims. This is where people need to distinguish the nuances of similar opinions. I have loans out from school. The difference is that I followed my personal rule (by happenstance at the time) of not taking out more loans that your first year professional salary. As a result of this and making payment a priority, I will be done with them before I hit my 10th year in practice. I would advocate the same to for any area of education here are some bad ideas in education that I am against:

- Paying $150k to a third rate private college instead of going to community college when you don't know what you want to do with your life. $150k in debt for a psychology, anthropology, etc is a bad financial move
- Choosing to become a foriegn medical grad and then re-enter the U.S. instead of exploring the PA/NP routes
- Choosing a poor quality for profit PsyD/PhD program instead of a good quality masters program to become a MH professional

These are all expensive shortcuts in our educational system and I don't feel bad if someone fails to attain their way through a shortcut.

What I really dislike is these people coming here and telling me I am "elitist" simply because I am not for them taking a shortcut into my profession, struggling to pay off their massive loan debt, and taking a poor paying job that drags down wages in the field. Why would I be for that? This is the reason ABPP is being pushed. I now need to jump through an extra professional hoop and pay money to differentiate myself from a problem I did not create. Not everyone gets to be a clinical psychologist and frankly, this is a terrible profession if you are poor. These programs are not meant for the poor. They were meant for the well-off to give their family that could not compete academically a foothold in the upper middle class. There is a reason that most of these programs operate in major well to do cities across the country. The people I know that went to these expensive programs are often white women, several had parents foot the bill entirely, and they are often married or getting married to someone with a six figure income that far exceeds their own. Now that this market is tapped and student loans are easy to obtain, the hopes ans dreams of those that may not be able to realistically attain this degree is easy pickings. So, I am the bad person for "crushing their dreams" rather than the institution being bad for offering a pipe dream that is unrealistic. Okay.

EDIT: If I really wanted to be mean to people, I would encourage going to these programs as much as possible, allow them to get into debt, and start a private practice. Then hire as many of these people that get licensed for a poor salary knowing that they are in financial indentured servitude due to debt, and then retire to Florida in my Ferrari.

I absolutely recognize that not everyone was making categorical claims, and I did not suggest that it was you that did (though I did push back on your defense of them). I was challenging the people who did. Plenty of people have made reasonable cases in a respectful and thoughtful way, and I think that is a good thing. I think everything you're saying here and how your framing the problem is fine and not insulting. I simply think this large scale social problem deserves more nuanced takes than "people who take out student loans are irresponsible idiots that are ****ing us all over."

I absolutely recognize that not everyone was making categorical claims, and I did not suggest that it was you that did (though I did push back on your defense of them). I was challenging the people who did. Plenty of people have made reasonable cases in a respectful and thoughtful way, and I think that is a good thing. I think everything you're saying here and how your framing the problem is fine and not insulting. I simply think this large scale social problem deserves more nuanced takes than "people who take out student loans are irresponsible idiots that are ****ing us all over."

We don't always have time for nuance. However, ask for it as you did and you may get it. Get insulted and call us names and you get a very different response.

It is insulting to you for me to invoke the impacts of the grave material consequences on the students impacted by predatory programs, and more largely by the fundamentally predatory economic arrangement of our student loan system?

I think I've made it pretty clear that I think it's important to be critical of these institutions. But I absolutely think it's relevant to consider how framing of these criticisms impact the people who are most directly affected by these predatory institutions. I think it's intellectually lazy of you to try to dismiss my larger point because you don't think that poverty has a real relationship with trauma and abuse.

We don't always have time for nuance. However, ask for it as you did and you may get it. Get insulted and call us names and you get a very different response.
That's fair, and like I said, I'm not against snark. But I think there are efficient responses that don't fall into the traps I have been talking about and I take no issue with those.

You mean criteria A doesn't include 'debt'?
I know this was meant as a joke but this is precisely tied to my larger point. There is very demonstrably a relationship between poverty and debt with an increased in exposure to trauma. Not to mention the impact that it has as a constant stressor on the baseline level of cognitive resources we have to recover from adverse events.

It is insulting to you for me to invoke the impacts of the grave material consequences on the students impacted by predatory programs, and more largely by the fundamentally predatory economic arrangement of our student loan system?

I think I've made it pretty clear that I think it's important to be critical of these institutions. But I absolutely think it's relevant to consider how framing of these criticisms impact the people who are most directly affected by these predatory institutions. I think it's intellectually lazy of you to try to dismiss my larger point because you don't think that poverty has a real relationship with trauma and abuse.
It's simply not trauma. It's misleading to use a clinical descriptor as a descriptor of something which does not, in any way/by any definition, qualify. If debt itself qualifies as Criteria A, then so too does failing out of college, having your significant other cheat on you/divorce you, having a legal problem, losing investment in the stock market, etc. Those are unfortunately, deeply impactful things which change lives. There are countless things that change our lives. They are not all traumas. Just because something is problematic, stressful, or undesirable does not make it traumatic and worthy of being compared to PTSD.

I know this was meant as a joke but this is precisely tired to my larger point. There is very demonstrably a relationship between poverty and debt with an increased in exposure to trauma. Not to mention the impact that it has as a constant stressor on the baseline level of cognitive resources we have to recover from adverse events.
No, I didn't mean it as a joke at all. See above. Over-attribution of something as a 'trauma' is not good (see research on emergency intervention after natural disaster). Comparing everything to trauma is (1) factually not accurate and (2) potentially negatively impactful in and of itself. Things have bad impacts. That doesn't make them traumas. Analogies which dismiss this are problematic.

That's fair, and like I said, I'm not against snark. But I think there are efficient responses that don't fall into the traps I have been talking about and I take no issue with those.

Fair enough, but when I only have 5 min to spare snark is the first thought that comes to mind and that is what is written. If a person wants my thoughtful responses, ask politely or pay $200 per hour. I'm fine with either one.

It's simply not trauma. It's misleading to use a clinical descriptor as a descriptor of something which does not, in any way/by any definition, qualify. If debt itself qualifies as Criteria A, then so too does failing out of college, having your significant other cheat on you/divorce you, having a legal problem, losing investment in the stock market, etc. Those are unfortunately, deeply impactful things which change lives. There are countless things that change our lives. They are not all traumas. Just because something is problematic, stressful, or undesirable does not make it traumatic and worthy of being compared to PTSD.
I don't think that debt itself is trauma, but I think it's a huge mistake to dismiss the relationship that poverty has on the distribution and impact of trauma.

It is indeed insulting to equate "loan trauma" with actual trauma. As for your second point, if it helps your point to put words into my mouth regarding things I have not said and do not believe, more power to you. Intellectually lazy, indeed.

No, I didn't mean it as a joke at all. See above. Over-attribution of something as a 'trauma' is not good (see research on emergency intervention after natural disaster). Comparing everything to trauma is (1) factually not accurate and (2) potentially negatively impactful in and of itself. Things have bad impacts. That doesn't make them traumas. Analogies which dismiss this are problematic.
Again, I'm not saying that the debt itself is a trauma. I am, however, absolutely willing to say that economic predation is an abusive quality. Abuse is a matter of failing to respect the rights and dignity of another, and these predatory financial institutions are unequivocally abusive. They don't give a **** about the impact that their extortion has on the students, the field, or society.

Again, I'm not saying that the debt itself is a trauma. I am, however, absolutely willing to say that economic predation is an abusive quality. Abuse is a matter of failing to respect the rights and dignity of another, and these predatory financial institutions are unequivocally abusive. They don't give a **** about the impact that their extortion has on the students, the field, or society.

Your problem is with capitalism. The U.S. was built on rich people taking advantage of poor people.

It is indeed insulting to equate "loan trauma" with actual trauma. As for your second point, if it helps your point to put words into my mouth regarding things I have not said and do not believe, more power to you. Intellectually lazy, indeed.
Perhaps reconsider who you think may be mischaracterizing in this situation.
I have not once argued that debt itself was trauma, but I 100% think that economic exploitation is abusive and a means of social control.

Your problem is with capitalism. The U.S. was built on rich people taking advantage of poor people.
This is entirely accurate, yes. I have been officially outed, I suppose.

I have not once argued that debt itself was trauma, but I 100% think that economic exploitation is abusive and a means of social control.

Perhaps it is you who should think about mischaracterization. Where did I say "that I don't think that poverty has a real relationship with trauma and abuse?"

Sure seems that way.

Perhaps it is you who should think about mischaracterization. Where did I say "that I don't think that poverty has a real relationship with trauma and abuse?"
That seemed to be the implication when you got offended and dismissed my characterization of these predatory institutions as agents of abuse. If that's not what you believe I'm glad to hear that but I have not yet been convinced that it is inherently insulting to everyone dealing or working with trauma to consider these institutions abusers.

That seemed to be the implication when you got offended and dismissed my characterization of these predatory institutions as agents of abuse. If that's not what you believe I'm glad to hear that but I have not yet been convinced that it is inherently insulting to everyone dealing or working with trauma to consider these institutions abusers.

I'm curious as to any place that implication was made? Perhaps you should poll some survivors of trauma how they feel about equating Argosy with their rapist?

Sure seems that way.
Alright, I suppose I should have been clearer that it isn't the abstract concept of poverty and debt that causes the trauma, but the material conditions and events directly related to it. I'll concede on that.

I'm curious as to any place that implication was made? Perhaps you should poll some survivors of trauma how they feel about equating Argosy with their rapist?
This is a completely disingenuous line of argument. And consider for a ****ing second that you may be speaking with someone who has been sexually assaulted. You don't have the ultimate authority on the appropriateness of using the concept of dynamics of abuse in discussions. Plenty survivors I know are willing to acknowledge the role that economic coercion plays in abuse.

This is a completely disingenuous line of argument. And consider for a ****ing second that you may be speaking with someone who has been sexually assaulted. You don't have the ultimate authority on the appropriateness of using the concept of dynamics of abuse in discussions. Plenty survivors I know are willing to acknowledge the role that economic coercion plays in abuse.

The issue is not economic coercion. The issue is equating economic coercion in the example of predatory schools, with that of actual violent assault. That is what is disingenuous.

It always irks me when people throw around the word “trauma” carelessly.

Predatory programs are a problem. But students are adults that can make their own financial decisions. Let’s shift that locus of control more internally.

Reactions: 3 users
The issue is not economic coercion. The issue is equating economic coercion in the example of predatory schools, with that of actual violent assault. That is what is disingenuous.
I am unequivocally willing to categorize their predatory practices as abusive, as it fundamentally compromises the agency of the people they exploit, making them systematically more susceptible to coercion. This line of argument is dangerously treading along the path of arguing that only physical violation counts as trauma. You don't strike me as being so obtuse a person to do something like that, so I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here. Disagree with me, that's fine. Engage with me on the distinctions or nuance. You might not think that it's the most correct or appropriate framing, and that's fine. But I'm not going to let your offense by my comparison shut me down on this when you rhetorically weaponize a plight of my own against me.

I am unequivocally willing to categorize their predatory practices as abusive, as it fundamentally compromises the agency of the people they exploit, making them systematically more susceptible to coercion. This line of argument is dangerously treading along the path of arguing that only physical violation counts as trauma. You don't strike me as being so obtuse a person to do something like that, so I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here. Disagree with me, that's fine. Engage with me on the distinctions or nuance. You might not think that it's the most correct or appropriate framing, and that's fine. But I'm not going to let your offense by my comparison shut me down on this when you rhetorically weaponize a plight of my own against me.

What you do, is up to you. Whatever you want to "weaponize" is your issue. My issue is the false equivalency that is happening here, on a variety of levels. Along with the false characterizations and throwing words into people's mouths. It doesn't help your argument, or the issue in general. I think we all agree that coercion exists, and people are susceptible at various levels. I still wholeheartedly believe that it's insulting to put the coercion of places like Argosy/Alliant/Albizu in the same sentence as that of things such as rape/assault/emotional abuse. It cheapens trauma and actually removes agency in pretty much any situation. It's a complete external locus of control for nearly anything that can happen to a person. It's simply unrealistic. To move away from the ridiculousness of "Loan Trauma," at what point do you believe students in these circumstances have some culpability in the situation?

It always irks me when people throw around the word “trauma” carelessly.

Predatory programs are a problem. But students are adults that can make their own financial decisions. Let’s shift that locus of control more internally.
I disagree and remain unconvinced that this is a helpful strategy. It, conversely, irks me when my field refuses to grapple with the larger social and economic situations that impact our clients - and in this case, also colleagues (regardless of how deserving of that title some here may think they are). There's a case to be made that it shouldn't be our primary focus, but I think it should inform our individual work.

There is such a thing as financial abuse of a child or elder.

I think it's a reasonable question: are people from disadvantaged backgrounds who choose to attend a FSPS fully responsible for their decision? In my opinion there is something predatory about the way many academic programs market themselves to, say, first generation college students with immigrant parents. I can't cite legal decisions but I know many of these schools have been sued, successfully. The argument is that the schools are behaving in an exploitative manner. Maybe the most famous example is Trump University. Would anyone on SDN argue that the people who fell for the scam are 100% responsible for their decision to enroll? I'm pretty sure Trump settled.

There is such a thing as financial abuse of a child or elder.

Are you saying that a college graduate evaluating career options is the same as an elder who has been declared mentally incompetent to manage their finances due to cognitive decline?

I disagree and remain unconvinced that this is a helpful strategy. It, conversely, irks me when my field refuses to grapple with the larger social and economic situations that impact our clients - and in this case, also colleagues (regardless of how deserving of that title some here may think they are). There's a case to be made that it shouldn't be our primary focus, but I think it should inform our individual work.
Who said anything about not taking these factors into account when working with individual clients?

What you do, is up to you. Whatever you want to "weaponize" is your issue. My issue is the false equivalency that is happening here, on a variety of levels. Along with the false characterizations and throwing words into people's mouths. It doesn't help your argument, or the issue in general. I think we all agree that coercion exists, and people are susceptible at various levels. I still wholeheartedly believe that it's insulting to put the coercion of places like Argosy/Alliant/Albizu in the same sentence as that of things such as rape/assault/emotional abuse. It cheapens trauma and actually removes agency in pretty much any situation. It's a complete external locus of control for nearly anything that can happen to a person. It's simply unrealistic. To move away from the ridiculousness of "Loan Trauma," at what point do you believe students in these circumstances have some culpability in the situation?
Do you have any interest at this point in trying to engage with me in good faith on this? This is not a rhetorical question - it's sincere. Because if you do, I'm willing to stop and try to re-calibrate the conversation. But from the way you've continued to characterize my argument despite my several attempts to clarify, it feels a lot like the only possible acceptable resolution to you is for me to admit that I was wrong and apologize to you and all survivors for my offensive comparison. If you think that is the only possible acceptable resolution, please let me know - otherwise, I would like to explicitly see you say that you're willing to try to dial it back and find some kind of common ground and I will do the same.

Do you have any interest at this point in trying to engage with me in good faith on this? This is not a rhetorical question - it's sincere. Because if you do, I'm willing to stop and try to re-calibrate the conversation. But from the way you've continued to characterize my argument despite my several attempts to clarify, it feels a lot like the only possible acceptable resolution to you is for me to admit that I was wrong and apologize to you and all survivors for my offensive comparison. If you think that is the only possible acceptable resolution, please let me know - otherwise, I would like to explicitly see you say that you're willing to try to dial it back and find some kind of common ground and I will do the same.

I'm more than willing to discuss in good faith, but I will not hesitate to point out ridiculous claims (e.g., students taking out loans are similar to elders with impaired cognition and like arguments). These hyperbolic and false statements do nothing to further the discussion, only to further obfuscation. You don't need to apologize for your past arguments, but I categorically refuse to accept the notion of Loan Trauma in the same category as trauma that induces PTSD. No one here disputes the notion that SES has an independent effect on trauma and PTSD, we do dispute that that is related to insane levels of debt and choosing a career path that leads to more debt than you can realistically pay back. These are two separate issues.

Who said anything about not taking these factors into account when working with individual clients?
I think it is possible that this is happening and that people are capable of being more empathetic, nuanced, and flexible in their conceptualization of the social problems within therapy versus on a messageboard, but I am not privy to those interactions. What I do see is peoples' attitudes and behaviors on this board, and combined with hearing numerous first hand accounts from friends in poverty who have worked with therapists that do not have this kind of flexibility, and many of those situations have resulted in irreparable damage to the therapeutic relationship. So I think it's a reasonable concern to raise as being related to a clinical issue.