Thoughts on the top Mohs Fellowship Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDerminator

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know subjective with so many factors, but do any really stand out for you? Are there some that most colleagues would objectively place at the top?

Anyone have a top 5?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Penn
Z&B
Mayo
Case Western
OHSU

Maybe Morthwestern/UTSW too?

Penn
Z&B
Mayo
Case Western
OHSU

Maybe Morthwestern/UTSW too?
I agree with Penn and Z&B. I’d add MUSC as well, at least from reconstruction standpoint. Minnesota?

Not sure who’s still at Case after Knackstedt left. Don’t agree at all on Northwestern.

I think it depends a bit on what you want to do. Complex reconstruction? Research? Lots of early operative exposure? There’s a small handful of “top” places, a few outright bad ones, and then most of the rest will give solid, if not exemplary, training.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MUSC has had their fellow quit a few times, most recently in 2022.

Agree with Minnesota with Ian Maher. Case Western has Jeremy Bordeaux.

Penn, Z&B, and possibly Mayo are the ones that stand out to me. Although that may change with Zitelli winding down.

Reactions: 1 user

Penn, Z&B, and possibly Mayo are the ones that stand out to me. Although that may change with Zitelli winding down.
How about the more "academically prestigious" programs like Harvard, Yale, UPenn, MSK, MDA, or JHU?

Penn is probably the only one of the prestigious places you listed that lives up to its name. Chris Miller has built the place up like crazy. BWH...maybe.

Harvard - BWH does a lot of good research in SCC but has a 2 year fellowship and lots of scut I have heard. MGH not so much - lots of SIH with limited recon.

Yale - also does a lot of SIH and have heard it is toxic

MSK - limited recon due to patients wanting plastic surgery recon instead due to Manhattan. Lots of scut I have heard.

MDA - have heard about conflicting personalities among the surgeons and lots of scut for fellow. Migden did seminal work on PD-1 for SCC though.

JHU - just started their fellowship and their program only has junior faculty

Reactions: 1 users

What happened to the fellows who quit? Do they just join another fellowship, or rematch the following year?