Thoughts on these New York programs I've never heard of before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkamikaze

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Albert-Einstein @ Bronx-Lebanon
Brookdale
Creedmoor
Harlem Hospital
Hofstra @ Zucker Hillside Hospital
Icahn - Elmhurst
Interfaith Medical Center
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center
Maimonides
NYMC - Metropolitan
NYMC - Westchester
Richmond University
St. John's Episcopal Hospital - South Shore

I have read in various threads there are some programs in New York that are mainly run by overworked IMGs and I'd like to weed these out of my list, if possible.
Other than that, any other thoughts about these programs would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

IMGs are everywhere in NY outside of the big name academic hospitals. Embrace them, you will work with them.

Einstein Bronx-Lebanon: I've heard this is a zoo, same applies for Harlem Hospital and Brookdale where you will find overworked IMGs. Creedmoor on the other hand is where you will likely find underworked IMGs. It's a long-term state facility and most patients live there for years so there is little to do in the way of admissions, discharges and calls.
Hofstra at Zucker: Don't know much about them.
Mt. Sinai Elmhurst: Does not participate in the match so a lot of IMGs here but good well-rounded program and residents are happy.
Interfaith: I thought they closed this hospital down, wasn't aware that they had a psych program..I'm surprised it's still open.
Lincoln: Heavy workload, very very sick patients, IMGs.
Maimo: IMG friendly program, don't know much else aside from their kosher laws.
Metropolitan: Overworked IMGs
Westchester: Fewer IMGs
RUMC: IMGs
St. John's: Don't know

Thanks for the info!
I don't think I expressed myself correctly though. It's not that I want to avoid working with IMGs!
I've seen the "IMG sweatshop" description used here before... those are the programs I'd like to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Albert-Einstein @ Bronx-Lebanon
Brookdale
Creedmoor
Harlem Hospital
Hofstra @ Zucker Hillside Hospital
Icahn - Elmhurst
Interfaith Medical Center
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center
Maimonides
NYMC - Metropolitan
NYMC - Westchester
Richmond University
St. John's Episcopal Hospital - South Shore

I have read in various threads there are some programs in New York that are mainly run by overworked IMGs and I'd like to weed these out of my list, if possible.
Other than that, any other thoughts about these programs would be much appreciated!

Hofstra at Zucker... AKA NS-LIJ, now Northwell. Program most definitely on the radar of many, given rockstar PD. Solid program and it's definitely NOT an easy match (their match list this past year looking a lot different than years past). I'd reckon that this is THE spot in the NYC area outside of the big 3 or 4 Manhattan programs. Also best salary in the nation (69K I believe) from what I heard and great moonlighting opportunities ($1000 NF shifts).

Maimonides- IMG friendly but don't be swayed by that. Happy residents, solid program. Sure it's not in the middle of Manhattan or in the trendy hipster-flooded sections of Brooklyn... but that's what makes it great... it's in the REAL Brooklyn, or at least what's left of it. If you are looking for cultural experience, it's a great neighborhood too. All a matter of perspective. That said, I'd keep this program on the list. Also rumors that they be merging with the Northwell system, so maybe higher salary in long run.

Richmond- Staten Island. IMG heavy. But I don't know much else. Not far from the (free) Staten Island Ferry so a quick skip to the big city and in an area of Staten Island that is on the ups.

St. John's- Don't know a lot besides experience of friends who rotated there who liked it. Area kind of meh and bleak but you don't have to live there. Family friend is faculty there and he seems to love it. Then again, he didn't train there but who knows. If you must stay in NYC (or in this case on the remote outskirts) then give it a go. And don't forget to hit up New Park Pizza in Howard Beach when you're on the Belt near JFK. You'll thank me.

NYMC programs- plenty of info here on SDN. Good enough from what I hear. But Westcherster... not NYC yet still not cheap.

Icahn supposedly solid, community based program. One worth keeping on the list. Don't be fooled into thinking you're really training at Mt. Sinai though, despite affiliation. But that's ok. Lot's of changes in their system from what I'm hearing, so definitely do your homework (besides asking here).

As for the rest, I don't know. I may be wrong about one or two when I say this, but sweatshop comes to mind.

All of that said, don't let IMG presence steer you away from some of these programs. That's thinking a bit too zero's and one's. No splitting allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
thanks Dharma!
I had no idea about Hofstra being a solid program. I'll definitely look more into it but if it's getting as competitive as the big 4, I'm not sure I have much chance there...

Hofstra at Zucker... AKA NS-LIJ, now Northwell. Program most definitely on the radar of many, given rockstar PD. Solid program and it's definitely NOT an easy match (their match list this past year looking a lot different than years past). I'd reckon that this is THE spot in the NYC area outside of the big 3 or 4 Manhattan programs. Also best salary in the nation (69K I believe) from what I heard and great moonlighting opportunities ($1000 NF shifts).

I'm rotating there now, and I'm frankly intimidated. I'm osteopathic and in a huge program (I think I counted 60 residents), there are only six DOs, and I believe only two on the faculty. I'd love to be here, but since I estimate my chances at somewhere between 0-1%, I'll be happy if I get a good letter.

The facility (ZH itself, plus the Behavioral EDs at LIJ and Cohen Children's which are on the same campus), is nothing short of amazing.

All of the Northwell programs play extraordinarily well.

thanks Dharma!
I had no idea about Hofstra being a solid program. I'll definitely look more into it but if it's getting as competitive as the big 4, I'm not sure I have much chance there...
It will never be as competitive as the beasts in Manhattan but it will be THE backup for those gunning for the big players and looking to stay in the area.

thanks Dharma!

Zucker is one of the top research powerhouses in the world for schizophrenia. Headed by 2 huge names, Chris Correll and John Kane ("Founder" of Clozapine).

Hofstra is very strong...its only not among the top 4 in NYC because of location..IMO.

Last edited:
Any insight on staten island/northwell/LIJ?

Zucker is one of the top research powerhouses in the world for schizophrenia. Headed by 2 huge names, Chris Correll and John Kane ("Founder" of Clozapine).

Hofstra is very strong...its only not among the top 4 in NYC because of location..IMO.

Is Hofstra the new/current name of LIJ? Forgive me, I haven't been in that area in years so it's hard to keep up.

Is Hofstra the new/current name of LIJ? Forgive me, I haven't been in that area in years so it's hard to keep up.
Hofstra/Zucker/LIJ/Northwell in Long Island are all the same thing on the rise. They also have a spin off program in Staten Island that I know nothing about.

Any insight on staten island/northwell/LIJ?
It was one of the NY programs I interviewed at and one of my favorites. Pros: great PD, cohesive group of residents, huge number of beds (plus the Zucker Hillside campus is beautiful), IMO a great location away from the messy noise of the city, etc. If you have more questions feel free to message me.