Thoughts on Utah's TTE credentialling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobtheDoc

Just a little pressure...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard this program likes to boast the TTE experience and training for their residents. Does anyone know how well they do so?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have firsthand knowledge of the experience for residents but I have taken their perioperative echo review course. They have an impressive depth and breadth of faculty and the anesthesia department runs an echo service. So I imagine the opportunity for a motivated resident to get excellent echo training is much better than average.

~100% of their residents that take the Advanced PTEeXAM pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please remind me...for those that don't do a CT fellowship. They can sit for the exam but they cant get certification. Is that right (unless you finished residency before 2010)?

Please remind me...for those that don't do a CT fellowship. They can sit for the exam but they cant get certification. Is that right (unless you finished residency before 2010)?

The practice experience pathway is available only to those who finish residency no later than June 30, 2009. If you finish after that date, you can still take the exam and be a "testamur" which is good enough in most situations.

last year 7 of the 12 CA2 residents took the Advanced Perioperative Echo board exam and all passed. This makes them a testamur. You have to have completed a CT fellowship to become a diplomate. At least, I believe that is the correct terminology.

They also get TTE experience, but they don't take a test. The Anesthesia faculty runs the TTE lab at the VA there.