Thoughts on working at NIH after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not really considering it, but just wondering what you all thought of that. Obviously it's been done - I've heard of MD/PhDers there. But it seems like a road seldom travelled. Have you ever considered it? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working at NIH now, and I've met quite a few MD/PhDs who are working here. So, the thought has occurred to me. Interestingly, I had an interviewer at some school or other refer to NIH as a place where "you should work atleast once in your career, but then move on." I don't really know their motivation for saying that, but it struck me as an odd comment.

There's an MD in my lab doing his fellowship. He dropped out of doing an MD/PhD back when he was in med school for various reasons, but still wants to do research, so he's doing a fellowship at the Naval Hospital (he's also a Naval officer) and is doing research at NIH. He splits his time probably 75/25 clinical/research.

NIH seems like a decent place for an MD/PhD. Certainly, if you're going to do strictly research, the NIH is a cool place to be, and the clinical center provides opportunity for those interested in clinical research. Also, there are numerous hospitals in the area, where it is possible to allocate clinical time. I looked up NIH's infectious disease fellowship out of curiousity, and it involves clinical rotations through various DC and Balt. hospitals (Hopkins, WHC, GW, etc.), training in a clinical micro lab, an STD clinic, an epi service, and an HIV clinic, and research of course. The website notes that they "offer both basic and clinical research opportunities, with a strong emphasis on translational research." Sounds like an ideal set-up to me... since NIH clearly understand the vision of the physician scientist, and would likely be a place where MSTPs can advocate for a position that uses both degrees.

I also work at NIH, and I must say that I believe that I could not have had a better experience. With only a year, often times limited resources can greatly hinder what you can and cannot accomplish/learn. At NIH, you do not have have this problem. There are unlimited resources and constant seminars/talks for you to take advantage of.

I come from a physics background, so being at NIH exposed me to the mistic world of biology. It was a great match.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't work at NIH, but I've met about 10-12 MD/PhD applicants on my travels who do work there. I've actually started to refer to it as "the md/phd feeder program." From what i hear the work is cool, their schedules are decent, and you're in DC!!!

I wish i did it.

I did a 3 year predoctoral fellowship at NIH and when I'm done in 2016( :laugh: ), I'm going back!!!! I'm also seriously thinking about doing my dissertation at NIH too!

For me, the 35K in loan forgiveness on top of some of the most competitive resident salaries in the US, not to mention the fact that I'm a "Fed" at heart who already lives in the area, makes this a no brainer.

Think of it this way, full funding WITHOUT having to compete for grants! It doesn't get any better than that! :thumbup:

Thunderstorm, I didn't know you were at the NIH. What department are you in if you don't mind sharing?

I did a year at NIH, and I don't regret it for a second. I can't tell you how much I learned here that I know I would not have experienced anywhere else, as mentioned earlier. It's also a great way to learn if research is really right for you. A year of full time (~50-60 hours/wk) work will teach you so much more than a summer or 20 hours/wk during the semester. Your fellow IRTAs are by and large cool people. I think I met at least one at 7 of my 8 interviews. Considering how many top MSTPs are in the ghetto (Yale, Penn, Hopkins I'm looking at you), living in DC/Bethesda is awesome.

gaganheim said:
Considering how many top MSTPs are in the ghetto (Yale, Penn, Hopkins I'm looking at you), living in DC/Bethesda is awesome.

Penn isn't in the ghetto. The students don't live in the ghetto either, at least 99% of them don't, and most live within walking distance.

Hey Neuronix, I just noticed we go to the same school! :D
Penn is definitely not in the ghetto. It used to be, but then it bought a lot of surrounding property and rented it out to college-friendly vendors - ta da - University City, a very nice place to be indeed. Most of us live in the trendy city area...but I digress....

Anyway, my PhD department has a partnership with the NIH, so I have been down for events and some of my classmates have rotated there. I must say that Bethesda is a very quaint little town, but that a lot of the people that live down there felt isolated. What I don't know about is what clinical opportunities besides Pathology are available down there. Anyone know?

Neuronix said:
Penn isn't in the ghetto. The students don't live in the ghetto either, at least 99% of them don't, and most live within walking distance.

Hard24Get said:
Anyway, my PhD department has a partnership with the NIH, so I have been down for events and some of my classmates have rotated there.

I know Immunology here has had a partnership with the NIH for a very long time, but as little as 2 years ago I even got it from one of our program directors here that MD/PhDs were not allowed to do their thesis there and therefore weren't allowed to rotate there. Have you seen any MD/PhDs rotate or do their PhDs there? I am still yet to see it, though I always hear rumors from applicants and current students that are quashed in my mind when I ask about it.

Good to see a fellow Penn MD/PhD. :) We have students from our program on here from time to time, but they usually don't stay too long. I hope I'm not driving them away! :laugh:

I met a student from UMDNJ who was doing her thesis at NIH, but she assured me that her situation was "abnormal."

I haven't met any others since I've been at NIH (1 yr)

1Path said:
I did a 3 year predoctoral fellowship at NIH and when I'm done in 2016( :laugh: ), I'm going back!!!! I'm also seriously thinking about doing my dissertation at NIH too!

For me, the 35K in loan forgiveness on top of some of the most competitive resident salaries in the US, not to mention the fact that I'm a "Fed" at heart who already lives in the area, makes this a no brainer.

Think of it this way, full funding WITHOUT having to compete for grants! It doesn't get any better than that! :thumbup:

Thunderstorm, I didn't know you were at the NIH. What department are you in if you don't mind sharing?
NHLBI. Building 50. I've got 2 months left here, and I'll be sad to leave. :(

Seriously, when you come from a small college like mine, where we didn't have the budget for an epifluorescent miscroscope until my senior year, and then you come to NIH, where I have 3 confocal scopes at my disposal, it's just awesome. Where else would you hear your PI say "please order more; we have such a big budget. Seriously, if you see an antibody or something that sounds cool, order it and give it a try!" I think NIH has spoiled me. :D

NIDCD BLDG 50 too...what a small world

Neuronix said:
I know Immunology here has had a partnership with the NIH for a very long time, but as little as 2 years ago I even got it from one of our program directors here that MD/PhDs were not allowed to do their thesis there and therefore weren't allowed to rotate there. Have you seen any MD/PhDs rotate or do their PhDs there? I am still yet to see it, though I always hear rumors from applicants and current students that are quashed in my mind when I ask about it.

Yeah, Skip (the prog director) hates the idea of us going away because he feels like we won't be able to go to grand rounds and participate in clinical connections. Only my straight PhD classmates have gone over there. This creates some tension as many PIs at the NIH would like to have access to MuD-PhuDs. However, we can have these people on our thesis committees and obtain reagents more easily, so we still benefit. I wonder whether residency programs like Hopkins let you do your fellowship research at the NIH?