Thoughts??...U of Utah vs, U of Rochester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gasgoon5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any information on these two programs? I'm interested in a pain vs. pediatrics fellowship. Is one more respected for getting into these fellowships? Is caseload for pediatrics/pain stronger at one of these programs? General strengths/weaknesses of these programs?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are solid programs but I would argue that SLC is a much more desirable place to live having known people who have trained in both cities. One of my mentors in med school trained at Rochester (circa 2007) and had no complaints about his program. He was prepared for PP and is doing very well. Sorry I can't comment about peds or pain at either program.

I'm a current resident at Utah, so I can only speak for my program. I don't know anything about Rochester. In my time here, 4 or 5 people have wanted to do a Peds fellowship and 4 or 5 have gone into Pain. Everyone who has wanted to do a fellowship matched somewhere. We have a pain fellowship here, so most people will stay and do the fellowship here. There's no Peds fellowship in Salt Lake so you'd have to go somewhere else. This year, one of our residents went to CHOP.

I'd much rather live in Utah than just about anywhere else. The outdoor activities are out of this world. We have a lot of sunshine and 4 seasons. And we also have a very strong residency overall. The Utah market (and just about anywhere in the West) is very tight for jobs, so if you have any desire to practice out here, you'd have a better chance of getting a job if you did a residency here. Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a resident at U of R. Hopefully we answered many of your questions when you came. Our program is very unique in the respect that you do abou 4-5 months of anesthesia your intern year. I have already done renal transplants as a intern and a multitude of different cases. I have been able to do some regional as well and a bunch of thoracic epidurals on our acute pain rotation as well. Obviously supervised. Our case load is very diverse and we have every fellowship they offer here. 4 pain spots too I believe if you're intersted in that. Attendings are awesome, work hours have been great. No weekends when you're on anesthesia bc you don't know enough to take call and all off service rotations so far have been great experiences. Rochester is rochester. If your looking for a beach it's not miami and if you're looking for a big city it's not NYC I like to tell people. I like the four seasons, enjoy a smaller city with very affordable living and friendly people. But really you have to make the decision based on what you're looking for. We have everything to offer to make you a great clinical anesthesiologist and have multiple research opportunities. Hopefully I answred some questions that you may have not been able to get answered at the interview. If not, ask me anything else you need. Good luck with the match!

I am currently a resident at U of R. Hopefully we answered many of your questions when you came. Our program is very unique in the respect that you do abou 4-5 months of anesthesia your intern year. I have already done renal transplants as a intern and a multitude of different cases. I have been able to do some regional as well and a bunch of thoracic epidurals on our acute pain rotation as well. Obviously supervised. Our case load is very diverse and we have every fellowship they offer here. 4 pain spots too I believe if you're intersted in that. Attendings are awesome, work hours have been great. No weekends when you're on anesthesia bc you don't know enough to take call and all off service rotations so far have been great experiences. Rochester is rochester. If your looking for a beach it's not miami and if you're looking for a big city it's not NYC I like to tell people. I like the four seasons, enjoy a smaller city with very affordable living and friendly people. But really you have to make the decision based on what you're looking for. We have everything to offer to make you a great clinical anesthesiologist and have multiple research opportunities. Hopefully I answred some questions that you may have not been able to get answered at the interview. If not, ask me anything else you need. Good luck with the match!

Where did Ppl match for this year fellowship???

I thought per ACGME you could only do one month of anesthesia...and a month of pain I think , during intern year, even in a categorical program. Are you doing months of internal med or surgery later in residency? Or are you counting months of ICU as anesthesia months?

I thought per ACGME you could only do one month of anesthesia...and a month of pain I think , during intern year, even in a categorical program. Are you doing months of internal med or surgery later in residency? Or are you counting months of ICU as anesthesia months?

I'm guessing they still need to do rest if intern yr in second yr/ca1

I graduated from U of R, here is honest opinion overall very good program excellent case load, program director actually listens to you and helps you. All the case scheduling is done by a senior attending who is like "mom" to all and she makes sure that you get balanced case load and get some reading days when census is lighter. Lots of regional specially at ambulatory center.Peds is good, so is pain, ICU mostly staffed by mid levels. All fellowships are available. Nice city to live with family, as mentioned in above post not like Miami/ NYC, winters may be harsh. Here is negative part about program less research opportunities, they recently had change in leadership with huge faculty turnover, lots of new faces some still trying to learn. Current Chair is not that friendly he is sarcastic may not help you getting into fellowship/ job. Cardiac attendings are sometimes too particular and will not protect you in OR (some may even hide behind you and let this a*#hole cardiac surgeon kill you). One big OB anesthesia attending is cynical, he would rather have you follow their idiosyncrasies then teach you. Thoracic is good so is vascular but again they lost many good faculty here. Many attendings are just complainers and whiners. They have night float system with excellent attendings on at nights. Overall decent program with few spoilers.

No your Intern year is sort of spanned over the first two years in the sense that in your second year you do a corresponding medicine rotation prior to your sub specialty rotation. Ex cardiology consults for a month then your cardiac anesthesia, Peds surgery then peds anesthesia etc. I am extremely happy this far and second everything the other poster wrote about the program. I am a intern so I haven't experienced as much as he/she has above but I have hear similar negative things but honestly in the grand scheme of things they're not huge issues from what could be I guess.

I remember being impressed with Rochester's program. The curriculum was unique, the training seemed excellent. I didn't put them particularly high on my rank list -- but that was totally due to location compared to my other options. The program itself seemed solid.

Little known fact: Rochester NY has almost as many "mostly cloudy" days as Seattle and Portland. Add in the fact that it is cold as **** and it... well... isn't Seattle. It is a miserable f'ing place to be from end of October until mid-April. Awesome in the summertime, though.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/cloudiest-cities.php

If you're prone to seasonal affective disorder this is something to consider.

Current 4th year at U of R going into Anesthesiology.

Rochester winters are rough for the uninitiated. But it's very affordable to live in. The weather from May-Mid/late September is very nice.

The program itself is great. Strong Memorial Hospital is a big regional center of upstate New York. So you will see everything, as noted above in a previous post.

People here are very nice, residents and physicians alike. The PD, Dr. Karan, is one of the nicest people I have met in medical school.

Overall is a great place to train.