tiaa/cref

Started by met19
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

met19

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what do people think of tiaa/cref. have access to a variety of mutual funds (some fee, some no transaction fee) such as vanguard, fidielity, etc.
 
I don't have any experience with TIAA/CREF but for about the past decade I've seen them listed at the top along with Vanguard. I have Vanguard and have been pretty pleased with price😛erformance in my retirement portfolio. I imagine TIAA/CREF is similar. Make sure your portfolio contains appropriate holdings (ie, more risk if you're younger, less if you're older).

-X
 
just got off the phone with tiaa/cref. so if you have a pension type fund (e.g. a state retirement but not a true pension), the give full advice as how to arrange your holdings. if you convert said fund to an roth ira, they give gen advice (e.g. % large cap, emerging markets, bonds, etc) to invest in but not specific funds. If you open a a brokerage window you can even invest in funds outside of tiaa/cref (e.g. vanguard, wells fargo etc). not really sure how i feel about only getting generally getting advice.....any thoughts?