About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tiaa/cref

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by met19, Nov 3, 2009.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. met19

met19 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    what do people think of tiaa/cref. have access to a variety of mutual funds (some fee, some no transaction fee) such as vanguard, fidielity, etc.
  2. xanthines

xanthines decaying organic matter Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I don't have any experience with TIAA/CREF but for about the past decade I've seen them listed at the top along with Vanguard. I have Vanguard and have been pretty pleased with price:performance in my retirement portfolio. I imagine TIAA/CREF is similar. Make sure your portfolio contains appropriate holdings (ie, more risk if you're younger, less if you're older).

-X
  3. met19

met19 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    just got off the phone with tiaa/cref. so if you have a pension type fund (e.g. a state retirement but not a true pension), the give full advice as how to arrange your holdings. if you convert said fund to an roth ira, they give gen advice (e.g. % large cap, emerging markets, bonds, etc) to invest in but not specific funds. If you open a a brokerage window you can even invest in funds outside of tiaa/cref (e.g. vanguard, wells fargo etc). not really sure how i feel about only getting generally getting advice.....any thoughts?